Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #541 of 6,432
I let my wife listen to my dt880s to her favorite " Sarah Mclaughlin ". She closed her eyes and laid her head back for a whole song. Whens she came to I asked her what she thought.
She said " I don't know, I was so into the music "

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
beerchug.gif

She has never complained about price again.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #542 of 6,432
White cow, yea if a friend did that to my AKG 702, i would had thrown him out the window into the pile of snow outside.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #543 of 6,432
I thought about this thread when Xmas day dinner party came around.  I brought 3 headphones and a fiio E7 with me that day as an experiment, the xb700, M50, and D2000.  The responses were satisfying.  The reponse I got with the d2000 were "I can hear fingers striking the strings on the guitars" and simply "wow."  The xb700, "OMG honey can I grab a pair of headphone?"  to "The bass on these are insane, is this going to hurt the headphones?" (bass boost EQ3 on fiio E7). 

In the end of the day, I had more people wanting the XB700, which I thought were interesting, than the D2000.  The M50 were neglected as the other two were the preference.  Keep in mind I didn't tell them the price of any of the headphones.  I see a lot people can tell the D2000 cost the most out of the bunch without me saying anything.  The d2000 had a lot of people liking it, it's just that the xb700 had a few more than the d2000.  I felt sad for the M50, it didn't even stand a chance for some reason and had the most in bag time by far...actually I was listening to them since other weren't. 

Overall, I was happy with the responses.  No one question why I spent money on them and few even ask how much I spent on them while still wanting to buy one.  It was a good christmas for me as the D2000 were a new addition to me.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #544 of 6,432
My friend recently turned 21, I had plans to visit him so I came around. I gave him the PX200 II. I also brought two albums with singles that demonstrated the quality of a burned in PX200 II, mine which I had with me. For the rest of the time we just had a blast talking and checking out interesting music.

He seemed pleased with the clarity and detail for someone who auditioned a HD800. He also has a thing for more acoustic music, Piano and Classical and he was an avid pianist. I hope he likes the little Sennheiser as much as I do.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #546 of 6,432
i have some pioneer se m390 headphones i got for $60 that are extremely good for that price range. i let my friend who had skullcandies that cost him 40$ more listen to him and he was mad. he paid $100 for skullcandies that sound horrible in comparison. i just recently picked up some shure srh750dj headphones the other day and they are ok but better then the pioneer in clarity but i think the pioneer's might sound a little more alive. but i cant wait to let him hear these. keep in mind after my friend heard my pioneers he hasnt boughten skullcandies in a while because his skullcandies break in a month or 2 and my pioneers are 1 year old. and still work fine.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #547 of 6,432
While visiting relatives in Chicagoland last summer, I let my uncle who is an active musician listen to some Diana Krall (Live in Paris, I think) on my ESW10JPN via Pico DAC/Amp.  He was amazed at how they sounded.  My aunt loved it too.  I wish he could hear my main rig.

[Hey, Fly Me to The Moon on Diana Krall - Live in Paris just came on, following the Doobie Brothers, Bach, James Taylor - iTunes on shuffle]

Recently I let my 12 year old listen to a tune on my K701 main rig, some rock tune.  He thought it sounded really good.  Then he asked how much it cost.  When he found out how much he thought it was a waste of money (doubtless thinking he'd rather have Apple earbuds and use the headphone money for some game console.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #548 of 6,432
Took my HD 600s to the Christmas Eve family dinner this year and let everyone have a listen.

It was pretty noisy really loud at times, so not exactly good for auditioning open headphones.  Nonetheless, everyone who tried them - my uncles and cousins, all of which are musicians - loved them.  Lots of "awesome"s and the like, although no really specific details (presumably resulting from the noise level).

Then, my brother decided to rain on the parade...  He's a quite good bass player and has spent at least a little time in small studios.  He proceeded to inform me that he couldn't tell the difference between them and the Skullcandies that he's apparently used when listening to masters, without even listening to the HD 600s.  Then he said that you could EQ out any differences between them...

At that point there's no hope.  And I thought I was doing him a favor by lending him my old Polk Monitor 7 speakers this year.  He tells me there's something wrong with one of them, too...  Probably blew a tweeter with his frat friends at a party.

:Facepalm:

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #549 of 6,432
Quote:
Took my HD 600s to the Christmas Eve family dinner this year and let everyone have a listen.

It was pretty noisy really loud at times, so not exactly good for auditioning open headphones.  Nonetheless, everyone who tried them - my uncles and cousins, all of which are musicians - loved them.  Lots of "awesome"s and the like, although no really specific details (presumably resulting from the noise level).

Then, my brother decided to rain on the parade...  He's a quite good bass player and has spent at least a little time in small studios.  He proceeded to inform me that he couldn't tell the difference between them and the Skullcandies that he's apparently used when listening to masters, without even listening to the HD 600s.  Then he said that you could EQ out any differences between them...

At that point there's no hope.  And I thought I was doing him a favor by lending him my old Polk Monitor 7 speakers this year.  He tells me there's something wrong with one of them, too...  Probably blew a tweeter with his frat friends at a party.

I sincerely hope the source and amplification were good. I once auditioned a HD600 in a good set up and I found the low end extension and clarity really good. I think I used a Metal sample with some 'violent' bass lines.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #550 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

I sincerely hope the source and amplification were good. I once auditioned a HD600 in a good set up and I found the low end extension and clarity really good. I think I used a Metal sample with some 'violent' bass lines.

I was using a uDAC out of my Thinkpad, with FLACs ripped from my CDs.  A/B'ing with a Beyerdynamic A1 as an amp I couldn't consistently identify any differences between them using the HD 600.  Of course, that's just the amp section.

And, flamers start......... now!

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #551 of 6,432

Quote:

He is wrong to say that there is no difference without listening to one of them, but right that EQ can make most hifi sound the same, http://bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #552 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

He is wrong to say that there is no difference without listening to one of them, but right that EQ can make most hifi sound the same, http://bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf

Uhh... Amplifiers =/ transducers.

I agree that adequately accurate and powerful amplifiers are nearly indistinguishable.

But you can't EQ out muddy bass or edgy treble, nor can you EQ in soundstage or detail.  With reasonably priced consumer equipment/software you can't EQ the extremely sharp gradients that can occur in transducer frequency response (particularly headphones), either.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #553 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

Only so much you can't iron out sound sig's, but you can EQ the frequency graphs to be similar.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #554 of 6,432
Small world!  I went to an Xmas week dinner at some friends.  They have a 15 year old son who is an avid Ipod listener.  So, knowing I had nothing else in common with him, I took my Ipod over for him to have a listen.  It's an Ipod classic with a Ray Samuels SR71A and Senn hd600s.  I showed it to him and briefly explained the idea.  He took it, turned if over once while looking at it, gave it back to me and went back to texting his friends.  End of story...

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #555 of 6,432

Quote:
Small world!  I went to an Xmas week dinner at some friends.  They have a 15 year old son who is an avid Ipod listener.  So, knowing I had nothing else in common with him, I took my Ipod over for him to have a listen.  It's an Ipod classic with a Ray Samuels SR71A and Senn hd600s.  I showed it to him and briefly explained the idea.  He took it, turned if over once while looking at it, gave it back to me and went back to texting his friends.  End of story...

frown.gif
I wish my parents' friends were audio geeks...that kid missed out. Then again, it could have been the fake marble that scared him off.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back