Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #766 of 4,655
Maybe possible, if unamped. If run straight from his portable player the HD800 may be just too sizzly and not enough whack in the bass and it may run against his preferences. Making the HD800 less favourable. Abyss... not so sure.

But then again the M50 is incredibly rough and sibilant.

Well the troll in that other post was speaking of some wonderphones that were better than any 'phone in the world, at less than $100. Also claims to have heard EVERY headphone in the world. No joke. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591059/a-concise-view-of-why-the-ath-m50-is-no-longer-king/495

You were active in the thread so you know what I'm talking about, but for any others wanting a nice and funny read, hit that link an go 6 posts down. One of the best things I've stumbled upon here at Head-Fi.

Lol, a great read. At first I thought he was joking, I couldnt believe it, he was actually serious..

TEEHEE, fiio users..

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #767 of 4,655
Quote:
Lol, a great read. At first I thought he was joking, I couldnt believe it, he was actually serious..

TEEHEE, fiio users..

he was joking actually... everyone was seriously trolled over there... it is just impossible for someone to be that dumb or blatantly egotistical to make stuff up... i have seen "skilled" trolls before and he is one of them... i am sure of it...

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #768 of 4,655

TEEHEE, fiio users..

he was joking actually... everyone was seriously trolled over there... it is just impossible for someone to be that dumb or blatantly egotistical to make stuff up... i have seen "skilled" trolls before and he is one of them... i am sure of it...

You'd be surprised..

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #769 of 4,655
Quote:

TEEHEE, fiio users..

Ok, TBH... for the price and the functionality... Fiio really isn't that bad (at least in my experience with the E09K/E17 combo). People don't given them enough credit
tongue.gif
. They were a solid contender for budget solutions until Schiit came out with M&M.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #770 of 4,655

TEEHEE, fiio users..

Ok, TBH... for the price and the functionality... Fiio really isn't that bad (at least in my experience with the E09K/E17 combo). People don't given them enough credit :p . They were a solid contender for budget solutions until Schiit came out with M&M.

I dont think schiit's M&M combo is a fair comparison. The M&M isnt portable. Unless of course you strut like this

Btw, I see you have a Mjolnir. Cheers :beerchug:

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #771 of 4,655
I was at my friends place today, it was his bday btw.....
His dad has Sennheiser HD800's.
And he had the HD650's and he gave them to my friends little brother.
And he listens to such music to make the Senns cry.
But they work.
Kind of.
After a ton of hardstyle.
:)

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #772 of 4,655
Quote:
I dont think schiit's M&M combo is a fair comparison. The M&M isnt portable. Unless of course you strut like this

Btw, I see you have a Mjolnir. Cheers
beerchug.gif

Haha cheers indeed
biggrin.gif
. BTW... have you tried the Gungnir with the HD800s on your rig? I'm curious bout the possibility of adding the HD800 to my rig and would like to know how others have found the pairing.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #773 of 4,655
I dont think schiit's M width: 350px; height: 389px">
[/URL]

Btw, I see you have a Mjolnir. Cheers :beerchug:

Haha cheers indeed :D . BTW... have you tried the Gungnir with the HD800s on your rig? I'm curious bout the possibility of adding the HD800 to my rig and would like to know how others have found the pairing.

Hm, its best I comment elsewhere in regards to your question. But in short, I was not impressed with the gungnir at all, a friend of mine does have a gungnir but its been modified-therefore yields different sound signature. He just ordered the HD800 as well so Im waiting for his impression, Ill definitely fill you in with his input. Sorry, best answer I can give you :D

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #774 of 4,655
Quote:
Hm, its best I comment elsewhere in regards to your question. But in short, I was not impressed with the gungnir at all, a friend of mine does have a gungnir but its been modified-therefore yields different sound signature. He just ordered the HD800 as well so Im waiting for his impression, Ill definitely fill you in with his input. Sorry, best answer I can give you
biggrin.gif

Mmmm fair enough. If you want to share more of your thoughts about it feel free to PM me. With the HD650 I find it to be very good (but noting that I only had the E17 before... so I'm sure it's quite a step up).

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #775 of 4,655
Well the troll in that other post was speaking of some wonderphones that were better than any 'phone in the world, at less than $100. Also claims to have heard EVERY headphone in the world. No joke. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591059/a-concise-view-of-why-the-ath-m50-is-no-longer-king/495

You were active in the thread so you know what I'm talking about, but for any others wanting a nice and funny read, hit that link an go 6 posts down. One of the best things I've stumbled upon here at Head-Fi.

Oh that one, i forgot about that incident already. I thougt it was about someone who prefers his $100 m50 over the hd800.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #776 of 4,655
"That's ridiculous, that's as much as the headphones cost by themselves.  It can't make THAT much difference, blah blah blah...etc etc"

I am a member of several DIY sites. The long term membership are usually engineers, so if they cannot measure it then it does not exist. The editorial slant of the board is in that direction.

Snake-oil, they call it. I point out that what was snake-oil in the past has become modern science in many cases in the present. The simple fact that science evolves and improves over time, and we can now measure what we couldn't in the past..well, you see my point of view.

In the same vein, there are many people who lack the discernment, ability to hear what many on headfi do. It's the same for tasting the different kinds of scotch, wine, olive oil, balsamic vinegars, and the billions of other tiny refinements that make up life.

Some may get it, but I have found that you almost never can convert anyone to your cause be it audiological, culinary or political.

I just ask them for one of their favourite songs, load it up, put on them the best cans I have and let them hear it. Either they get it or they do not.

That is all you can do - expose people to new ideas and ways of being. The rest is up to them.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #777 of 4,655
Quote:
I am a member of several DIY sites. The long term membership are usually engineers, so if they cannot measure it then it does not exist. The editorial slant of the board is in that direction.

Snake-oil, they call it. I point out that what was snake-oil in the past has become modern science in many cases in the present. The simple fact that science evolves and improves over time, and we can now measure what we couldn't in the past..well, you see my point of view.

In the same vein, there are many people who lack the discernment, ability to hear what many on headfi do. It's the same for tasting the different kinds of scotch, wine, olive oil, balsamic vinegars, and the billions of other tiny refinements that make up life.

Some may get it, but I have found that you almost never can convert anyone to your cause be it audiological, culinary or political.

I just ask them for one of their favourite songs, load it up, put on them the best cans I have and let them hear it. Either they get it or they do not.

That is all you can do - expose people to new ideas and ways of being. The rest is up to them.

+1, well said!

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #778 of 4,655
Quote:

So true! Once upon a time we thought the world was flat.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #779 of 4,655
Quote:
Lol. I think i have a new experiment for use at the library

Quote:
Operation Homepage has commenced

Quote:
The Beats thread and the M50 thread are my two most popular (and controversial) threads. And yeah, trolls with be trolls.

I agree, I might try the same thing at my big online Campus library. I actually want to start some kind of Public club at school for people who enjoy music

And REALLY the Aybss are that GOOD... I though they where well a hoax. Just over hyped garbage... and that's due to the well crappy add I saw of them

Still happy to see they do not stink! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #780 of 4,655
Brought my SoundMAGIC HP100 to my high-school and showed them to a few friends.  One of them immediately took them off when he heard how much they cost (he obviously liked it, but I guess he didn't want to ruin his $5 Skullcandies).  My other two friends were basically passing them back and forth and asking me to play songs (Avenged Sevenfold, Amon Amarth, Disturbed, Skrillex, Infected Mushroom...).  They were most impressed with the clarity and the isolation (which is very important when people feel the need to speak at 90 decibels, which is all of the time in high-school).  One friend claimed that he would look into buying a pair upon receiving his pay check (which is tomorrow), and the other friend claims that he will probably buy some at the end of September.

Converts?  Hopefully.  They didn't even scoff when I told them I paid $100 for an amp
smily_headphones1.gif
.  I would expect a different outcome from showing someone closed-minded who is not interested in tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back