Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #377 of 4,655
I jumped up from a Logitech G35 to a Sennheiser HD 800, got a FiiO E10 as a temporarily amp and DAC combination.
After 6 months I got the Violectric V200, and 1-2 months later (now) I ordered the Mytek Digital Stereo 192 DSD-DAC which is on its way as we speak.

I would always go for something very good right away and be done with it. Sure I spend around €3000 on gear, but I don't need to purchase anything audio-related for at least 10 years.
In the end this way is definitely cheaper.

I did the same for my PC, buid a very future-proof one around 2-3 years ago. If it gets too slow I can just pop another GPU in and done. It'll last for at least another 5 years, probably longer.

Pretty much the HD800 was your first headphone

That takes the fun out of a journey doesn't it

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #379 of 4,655
Quote:
Does the ps2 work too?

It does, but the quality wouldn't be as stellar as the first generation PlayStation. You can try searching around about the SCPH-1001 PlayStation, it's regarded as one of the best CD players around.
Quote:

HD650s not high-end? 
blink.gif

Don't get him wrong, he wants something 'higher end'.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #380 of 4,655
U guys know my post with my grandmother who loved my hfi 580's? Well shes buying a pair of ad-700's :D

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #381 of 4,655
Quote:
U guys know my post with my grandmother who loved my hfi 580's? Well shes buying a pair of ad-700's
biggrin.gif

Sweet!!!
Quote:
Pretty much the HD800 was your first headphone

That takes the fun out of a journey doesn't it

+1 I think the journey is a needed to not shock your system,  get a taste of good SQ and work your way up, this way you appreciate the differences.  It really only costs a little more, if any, to do it this way, you may find everything you want at a lower level than jumping in at the top.  Also, reselling what you phase out recoups a lot of what you put in.  All told you may actually save money by climbing the ladder. 
L3000.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #382 of 4,655
Quote:
Does the ps2 work too?

Will the PS2 play CD's?  Yes.  Will it sound any good while doing it?  Not really.

It does, but the quality wouldn't be as stellar as the first generation PlayStation. You can try searching around about the SCPH-1001 PlayStation, it's regarded as one of the best CD players around.
Don't get him wrong, he wants something 'higher end'.

It's more that it's one of the best values around.  Not that you should give too much weight to them, but it was rated in Stereophile's recommended components.  They gave the PS1 a C rating (which is still very good) with their writers wanting to give it anywhere from a D to a B.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #383 of 4,655
I let some kid try my hd 518 then he later asked me "how much does your beats cost?" I face palmed

I found out kids are refering to any full size headphones as beats.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #384 of 4,655
Quote:
I let some kid try my hd 518 then he later asked me "how much does your beats cost?" I face palmed

I found out kids are refering to any full size headphones as beats.

blink.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #386 of 4,655
Quote:
Sweet!!!
+1 I think the journey is a needed to not shock your system,  get a taste of good SQ and work your way up, this way you appreciate the differences.  It really only costs a little more, if any, to do it this way, you may find everything you want at a lower level than jumping in at the top.  Also, reselling what you phase out recoups a lot of what you put in.  All told you may actually save money by climbing the ladder. 
L3000.gif

I don't get this journey, and how can you save money by climbing the ladder?
Every second hand item will sell for less than the original (unless you're famous).
I definitely appreciate the differences and I heard various headphones in various stores.
A lot of AKGs, Pioneers, ATs, HD650s, T1s, D7000s and some other ones as well.

They also had some nice amps and DACs there, got I ordered other gear without listening anyway.
Also, the FiiO E10 is dark according to most and the V200 is warm-ish according to most, I don't notice a difference in warmness/darkness, but the V200 is just way more detailed and just sounds better. So for me dark = warm I guess.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #387 of 4,655
Quote:
They also had some nice amps and DACs there, got I ordered other gear without listening anyway.
Also, the FiiO E10 is dark according to most and the V200 is warm-ish according to most, I don't notice a difference in warmness/darkness, but the V200 is just way more detailed and just sounds better. So for me dark = warm I guess.

Darkness is just a heavier, more noticeable form of warmth. The term is usually used to describe things in a negative context, when comparing to other more revealing equipment.

As for your other points, I have to agree. While most of us require and enjoy the journey to fully appreciate the world of headphones, some of us don't.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #390 of 4,655
I gots my Beyerdynamic T1 beats on right now. What of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back