Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #392 of 4,655
That actually annoyed me back in the day how everyone called an MP3 player an "iPod", even when the unit looked absolutely nothing like an iPod. It's always the inferior, popular units that become household names. There was always, always a competing DAP for cheaper than the iPod that had better SQ, and usually more space.

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #393 of 4,655
Quote:
That actually annoyed me back in the day how everyone called an MP3 player an "iPod", even when the unit looked absolutely nothing like an iPod. It's always the inferior, popular units that become household names. There was always, always a competing DAP for cheaper than the iPod that had better SQ, and usually more space.

Better SQ and more space and more openness of platform and associated software, yes, but the vast a majority of the general public prefer the build quality, name recognition, and everything-works integration of Apple products.

Now, before the Apple debate derails this thread, let's get back on track.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #394 of 4,655
Just like how my parents call my phone the "android iphone"

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #395 of 4,655
Quote:
I don't get this journey, and how can you save money by climbing the ladder?
Every second hand item will sell for less than the original (unless you're famous).
I definitely appreciate the differences and I heard various headphones in various stores.
A lot of AKGs, Pioneers, ATs, HD650s, T1s, D7000s and some other ones as well.

They also had some nice amps and DACs there, got I ordered other gear without listening anyway.
Also, the FiiO E10 is dark according to most and the V200 is warm-ish according to most, I don't notice a difference in warmness/darkness, but the V200 is just way more detailed and just sounds better. So for me dark = warm I guess.

My point was, if you climb, your journey may stop before you spend the amount it would cost for say, HD800 and a good amp. 
So if you spend $400 on HD650 and $200 on an amp for it and you are happy with that, your journey ends there.  As apposed to you spending $1500 on the HD800 and $1500 on an amp right out of the gate.
Everyone's mileage will vary depending on what they like and where they want to be.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #396 of 4,655
Quote:
My point was, if you climb, your journey may stop before you spend the amount it would cost for say, HD800 and a good amp. 
So if you spend $400 on HD650 and $200 on an amp for it and you are happy with that, your journey ends there.  As apposed to you spending $1500 on the HD800 and $1500 on an amp right out of the gate.
Everyone's mileage will vary depending on what they like and where they want to be.

+1

and im really happy with my HD 800 beats by sennheiser 
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #398 of 4,655

I always defend apple.

The iPod touch is the greatest multimedia player ever, unless you can argue

My Sansa fuze was great but had clunky ui, cheap display, and broke in 3 months in many ways. The line out had to be pressed to work and irritated me for a long time. I shouldve been smarter about warranty back then

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #399 of 4,655
Ipod > beats

ipods are over priced but a great product.

But dre beats are over priced but a mediocre product.

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #401 of 4,655
Would be a nightmare to see ibeats the ipod by dre. ipod with beats sound technology and comes with beats solo stock.

but i see it could be a possibility... i know they did the ipod U2 edition. So a dr. dre edition ipod could be cooking.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #403 of 4,655
Thi
Sweet!!!
+1 I think the journey is a needed to not shock your system,  get a taste of good SQ and work your way up, this way you appreciate the differences.  It really only costs a little more, if any, to do it this way, you may find everything you want at a lower level than jumping in at the top.  Also, reselling what you phase out recoups a lot of what you put in.  All told you may actually save money by climbing the ladder.  :L3000:

This is so true. Enjoying the journey, step by step.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #404 of 4,655
I invited my friend to my house. He noticed my Schiit Lyr amp and was quite mesmerized by the tubes (he has never seen a tube amplifier in his life). I plugged my HE-500 through the amp and played No Prayers by Zeds Dead and Omar Linx (that song has very good bass impact) for him.
His eyes went wide open and said "DAT BASS!!!".

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #405 of 4,655
Quote:
Just like how my parents call my phone the "android iphone"

I would seriously get mad is people called any android phone an android iPhone.
I would instantly know the people that I don't have to care about though, just like everyone with Beats is someone I'll never start a conversation with.
Quote:

But I got my HD800s for €900 and the V200 for €695, the Mytek is shipping and I paid €1300 for that one. And €35 for 2 25cm partitial silver-plated™ OFC XLR cables.
I heard the HD650s with a very good amp and DAC in that store but they're definitely not for me. They sound too distant/bassy/dark/whatever-I-suck-at-these-terms.
The HD800s just kicked the T1's, HD650's and D7000's ass. The LCD-X headphones were not for me, not only were they not availible at my local store but they're not comfortable enough and I don't like the fancy wood. And they're setting a combo with aftermarket cables... I don't trust them...

I can say (to myself...?) that I have – objectively speaking – the best possible setup for my tastes and that there's nothing better availible. I don't believe is shady cables and fancy-looking amps. Mytek and Violectric are very open about what's inside (and have pictures on their website) and don't use sound-improver-DNA-flex-caps™ and similar terms.
I do not trust $3000 ultra-expensive-tropical-wooden boxes amplifiers with shady terms everywhere and no photos of the insides.
Quote:
Ipod > beats

ipods are over priced but a great product.

But dre beats are over priced but a mediocre product.

But Apple is more evil as a company, because they actually succeeded brainwashing the "commoners"!
And they act like they invented retina screens and that they're a must have. That's why the pro-world still uses 2560x1440 on 27" displays, right?
And Apple also sells mediocre products at a very premium price. My PC – Apple edition – would cost €4000+ which is around 3 times as expensive as the one I built myself.
Upgrading RAM is not possible, you need special Apple-branded ram that is 5 times as expensive! And you need to upgrade every 3 years or you won't be "cool" and "professional" anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back