Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #226 of 4,655
We also live in a disposable society in which people tend to give up quality for convenience or for quantity. The fact that most people are fine with cheap headphones or 128kbps mp3's doesn't invalidate the quest for better sound that those who really CAN tell the difference truly want. In the end each person should go with what suits them, and leave it at that.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #227 of 4,655
My wife fits that category.  She does seem to understand why I need such expensive headphones, let alone 6 pairs.  We all know why so I won't go into detail.  She doesn't see HD or why Sirrius or any satellite music radio plain sucks in SQ - I can hear the "pixelation" in the music compression like a slap in the face - but, hey, it's her car.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #228 of 4,655
Quote:

That is unless that Video enthusiast/blu ray collector has just deployed and all he has are the pirated movies from his fellow Marines/Shipmates. At that point he is just glad to have some type of entertainment. Just sayin.

You didn't contradict him at all; that's what he's saying. The video enthusiast only "cares" because he has access to better quality and has formed an affinity for it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #229 of 4,655
I wish more people would carry the mentality that they should try to understand something before judging it. My brother almost crapped his pants when he heard how much I paid for my headphones. Yet he's the same guy who, many years ago, paid several hundred dollars just for a subwoofer in his car that wasn't even installed correctly! But he, like everyone else who's tried my headphones, thought they sounded amazing.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #230 of 4,655
I wish more people would carry the mentality that they should try to understand something before judging it. My brother almost crapped his pants when he heard how much I paid for my headphones. Yet he's the same guy who, many years ago, paid several hundred dollars just for a subwoofer in his car that wasn't even installed correctly! But he, like everyone else who's tried my headphones, thought they sounded amazing.
He could've been like me and spent several hundred dollars on a sub and speakers for his car and then spent a bunch of money on a portable rig!

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #232 of 4,655
...or sell your headphone to buy an amp to power it
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #233 of 4,655
Quote:

That is unless that Video enthusiast/blu ray collector has just deployed and all he has are the pirated movies from his fellow Marines/Shipmates. At that point he is just glad to have some type of entertainment. Just sayin.

Very few people on this forum are going to be deployed. They're just OCD. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #235 of 4,655
Quote:
He could've been like me and spent several hundred dollars on a sub and speakers for his car and then spent a bunch of money on a portable rig!

Or several Hundreds of dollars on different Car/Truck Gear with a bunch of it laying around in his basement or garage. Makes me wonder why he needs like 10  dash board GPS's or car radios laying around that you could trip over. Now he does seem to have like every wire and adapter known to men in his tool shed. Now my brother is just as bad with all his  sub-woofer's he had in his truck with all that boom boom boom. you could hear him coming up the street.

Nothing beats this guy who drove past my dad truck once with extreme amount of bass  so much that the truck we was in moved and felt like it was sliding over. Which made my ears hurt from the pressure even tho we was like a foot away from the car when it passed. IT was like someone playing a sub woofer really loud and your standing in front of it feeling the pressure.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #236 of 4,655
My wife fits that category.  She does seem to understand why I need such expensive headphones, let alone 6 pairs.  We all know why so I won't go into detail.  She doesn't see HD or why Sirrius or any satellite music radio plain sucks in SQ - I can hear the "pixelation" in the music compression like a slap in the face - but, hey, it's her car.  

Yes, I have trouble listening to standard car radio too. You just miss so much!

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #237 of 4,655
My Dad is somewhat obsessed with the concept of buying wireless head phones for his home theater.  He couldn't understand why I was never very enthusiastic about the concept since "I was a headphone guy".  It's funny how you can be at the bottom end of an enthusiast spectrum but to an outsider you're obsessed.

Anyway, I had him sit down and do some serious listening to my HD650's, Etymotic ER-4p's (with new pads),  (13 year old) Grado SR125's, and beater Sony MDR-V600's.

After about an hour he declared the MDR-V600's to be far superior to the others.  Couldn't understand why I liked the Senn's at all.

Ba Dum Tss! 

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #238 of 4,655
Yep, i just showed my hfi 580 to my friends, who have already heard my xb500's before. They ALL thought that the xb500's sounded better. The concept of clarity to their ears is beyond me. I had a fiio e11 with the eq set to 2 at the same time, too.... I thought the quality of the bass mattered, too.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #239 of 4,655
On first attempt, my friend could not hear a different between HD650 and AD900X sounding and I was like What?? 
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #240 of 4,655
They probably expected the lyrics to change.

And probably how hard the bass hits (closed headphone) would be the winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back