Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 18, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #196 of 4,655
Let a friend who uses Koss Porta Pro for the most part try my Spirit Ones out quickly. "Kinda less bass but more of the other stuff. I guess that's cool if you're into that." Huh.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #197 of 4,655
Quote:
Let a friend who uses Koss Porta Pro for the most part try my Spirit Ones out quickly. "Kinda less bass but more of the other stuff. I guess that's cool if you're into that." Huh.

Less bass??
blink.gif
 But the Focal Spirit one has literally more bass,deeper bass, and less everything else.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #200 of 4,655
Quote:
What an odd Frequency curve on the Koss... They are very mid bass-centric. I'm guessing they have a somewhat dark signature? 

They are a rather bassy sounding headphone. Supposedly very fun sounding from what i heard. (from the headphones, not reviews)

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #201 of 4,655
Quote:
They are a rather bassy sounding headphone. Supposedly very fun sounding from what i heard. (from the headphones, not reviews)

I gave my old Koss Porta Pros a quick listen in comparison to the Spirit Ones, straight from an iPad 2. Porta Pros sound warmer for sure. Very smooth and inoffensive. Less treble extension and detail from what I can hear. Said warmth is probably what might make them sound a little bit bassier to some in comparison. For their price they still sound awesome though. I was pretty shocked.

I also remember why I stopped using the Porta Pros now. The headband keeps plucking hairs out from my head whenever I take the Porta Pros off. Ouch!

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #204 of 4,655
bareyb: What class are you guys in? I'm trying to read the posters on the wall... /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interactive Media. Basically all I do in the class is screw around on our $3,000 iMacs (which are outperformed in a variety of ways by my $800 PC home desktop, I might add), do tutorials, and screw around some more.

Oh, and sometimes I make stuff like this promoting shows I run:

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #205 of 4,655
Quote:

I gave my old Koss Porta Pros a quick listen in comparison to the Spirit Ones, straight from an iPad 2. Porta Pros sound warmer for sure. Very smooth and inoffensive. Less treble extension and detail from what I can hear. Said warmth is probably what might make them sound a little bit bassier to some in comparison. For their price they still sound awesome though. I was pretty shocked.

I also remember why I stopped using the Porta Pros now. The headband keeps plucking hairs out from my head whenever I take the Porta Pros off. Ouch!

Just do like me. Dedication to head-fi is key, shave your head.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #206 of 4,655
Quote:

Interactive Media. Basically all I do in the class is screw around on our $3,000 iMacs (which are outperformed in a variety of ways by my $800 PC home desktop, I might add), do tutorials, and screw around some more.

What, they have 27" iMacs? I went to school in the wrong era. Sheesh.

I'll bet your $800 'puter doesn't have an 27" IPS LED display. If you put the two displays side by side, the Mac will shine every time. When you take the everything into acount when a mac ships the hardware isn't usually half bad for the price.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #207 of 4,655
I'll bet your $800 'puter doesn't have an 27" IPS LED display. If you put the two displays side by side, the Mac will shine every time. When you take the everything into acount when a mac ships the hardware isn't usually half bad for the price.

True, but it's also four times as large and displays in 1920x1080, which is already plenty.

Things I'm not a fan of on the Mac:

1. Last year's mobile flagship Radeon GPU? My Gigabyte HD 7870 2GB beats the pants off the thing.
  2. 1TB mechanical drive? My 128GB 830 SSD + 3TB External HDD wins in every aspect.
  3. Four USB 2.0 ports? The two USB 3.0 ports and four USB 2.0 on my mobo, plus another ten USB 2.0 ports on my USB switch, kill the Mac in that regard.
  4. Overkill Intel i7 bottlenecked by the other components in the build? I'll stick with my i3.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #208 of 4,655
Quote:

True, but it's also four times as large and displays in 1920x1080, which is already plenty.

1. Last year's mobile flagship Radeon GPU? My Gigabyte HD 7870 2GB beats the pants off the thing.
  2. 1TB mechanical drive? My 128GB 830 SSD + 3TB External HDD wins in every aspect.
  3. Four USB 2.0 ports? The two USB 3.0 ports and four USB 2.0 on my mobo, plus another ten USB 2.0 ports on my USB switch, kill the Mac in that regard.
  4. Overkill Intel i7 bottlenecked by the other components in the build? I'll stick with my i3.

I see you are using photoshop CS6, and yes the Mac Pro is overpriced by a factor of 4.
I have stated somewhere in another thread about how a home built pc 1/4 its price out performed it.

(wait, where is your graphic tablet? do you use photoshop with that mac mouse?)

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #209 of 4,655
(wait, where is your graphic tablet? do you use Photoshop with that mac mouse?)

We have tablets, but I prefer not to use them because I've got terrible penmanship. Anything that requires extensive brushwork I collaborate with another graphic artist who basically acts as my right hand.

At home, I've got a Razer Naga Epic and that suits me just fine.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #210 of 4,655
Quote:

I'm in a agreement. Their picks aren't the best. But it still stands. Their not as much of a rip off as you think when you match part for part. It's built for idiots, yes, and you can build better for the same price. But the display stands on its own. If get yourself a PC with a real display, your going to fork out some cash and you've come nearly full circle. To make your argument work, the first thing you had to do was ditch the display. When in fact it is your primary interface to the tool at hand. Without a quality display you might as well not have a machine. It comes down to priorities again. Same reasoning behind headphones. I like a display that I can sit in front of that isn't fixed at 1920x1080 like the rest of the market when "HD" came in. Prior to that, LCD panels actually had a higher resolution in a lot of cases.  Bah. I digress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back