Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #166 of 4,655
Quote:

Seems I neglected to take clear reaction shots. Oh, well.

What were their reactions first looking at it then after hearing it? 

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #167 of 4,655
awesome pics.  I'm surprise you didn't get slammed for the way it looks.  Normally people who don't own good headphones have problem looking past looks before sounds.  I just let a family look at your picture and they said "what were they thinking when they made that headphone." Haha only if they know what role Stax's plays in the headphone world.

Close your eyes and you're going to listen to an awesome headphone.. then they where allowed to see it :wink:. I guess that's what happened :p.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #168 of 4,655
Just came back a trip to the audio shop Jaben again.
And i overheard a conversation between a couple with the shopkeeper.
(he was helping her choose a pair of headphones)
They chose to audition the Momentum, Solo HD, Mixr, and asked for a sennheiser of the same price of the solo, so they got him a HD558
And the guy said something about the HD558.....
"umm sounds nice, but do you have noise canceling earpads for this?"
me in a corner:*they are open headphones!!!!!!!! how can you have noise cancelling earpads for open headphones??? facepalm*

would be an insult if they purchased the solo over the headphones i rooted for, but they went off a while later without any purchases...
oh well.

oh btw do noise canceling earpads even exist...?

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #169 of 4,655
Not everyone is well-versed in headphones; they probably thought leather/pleather pads equal noise isolating earpads while velour earpads equal open earpads. Since open headphones aren't really common, they'd assume all headphones are closed.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #170 of 4,655
Quote:
Not everyone is well-versed in headphones; they probably thought leather/pleather pads equal noise isolating earpads while velour earpads equal open earpads. Since open headphones aren't really common, they'd assume all headphones are closed.

although i do seem to find that pleather or not it does not affect the seal of the headphones. The SRH940 with valour isolates better than the HD202 and Studios that have pleather.
And well yeah i have gotten too used to open headphones. I just don't seem to like the closed in sound of the almost all the closed headphones. So much so that i rather use open as portables instead.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #171 of 4,655
Mar 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #172 of 4,655
awesome pics.  I'm surprise you didn't get slammed for the way it looks.  Normally people who don't own good headphones have problem looking past looks before sounds.  I just let a family look at your picture and they said "what were they thinking when they made that headphone." Haha only if they know what role Stax's plays in the headphone world.

What were their reactions first looking at it then after hearing it? 

A lot of people thought they looked absolutely insane. The common line was "ermahgerd is that liek from teh seventies?"

I showed one girl how they sounded compared to her earbuds and she said "geez... now I don't want to listen to these anymore, they sound like garbage". A lot of people loved the "layered" sound they provided. Some people remarked at how tall the sound extended.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #174 of 4,655
Quote:
A lot of people thought they looked absolutely insane. The common line was "ermahgerd is that liek from teh seventies?"

Heh, reminds me of the time I brought my SR-Lambda to university, and someone remarked that they look like something out of the Cold War. (Which is an accurate statement, given that it's a 1979 design that hasn't changed much to this day.)

Unfortunately, I couldn't demonstrate how they sounded away from home due to the whole "I don't have a reasonably portable Normal bias amp, or any kind of dedicated Stax amp" issue.

While I do think that the boxy design does look rather ugly, the sound presentation and ludicrous comfort more than make up for that. I still haven't found a better headphone for my tastes; shocking as it is to say, the SR-202 + SRM-212 certainly didn't dethrone it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #175 of 4,655
When I first took my Grado 325's to work, everyone that saw me wearing them noticed. The first comment I got while listening to them was laughter followed by "OMG how loud are you listening to that!?" I responded by explaining the open back design and how it leaks music. They also asked me about the headphone amp, and I had to explain to many a person as to why it was needed. Most people just gave me blank stares that implied they didn't comprehend at all.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #176 of 4,655
Quote:
When I first took my Grado 325's to work, everyone that saw me wearing them noticed. The first comment I got while listening to them was laughter followed by "OMG how loud are you listening to that!?" I responded by explaining the open back design and how it leaks music. They also asked me about the headphone amp, and I had to explain to many a person as to why it was needed. Most people just gave me blank stares that implied they didn't comprehend at all.

Did they listen??

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #178 of 4,655
When I bought my first portable amp (CMoy), absolutely everybody I ever met in my life asked me all about it. It got so annoying that I considered making a business card for my amp to explain what it was all about.

Now that I'm on to more discreet-looking portable equipment, that doesn't happen as much.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #179 of 4,655
When I brought my Schiit Lyr amp and my HE-500 to my parent's house, my dad began listening to some music then later another one and then later another until he became so immersed in the music that he feel asleep. I woke him up and he said to me: "Wow you're amazing, this is incredible".
It was quite funny to watch.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #180 of 4,655
I brought the MDs out as a portable today as I've been doing lately, and when I gave a friend a listen on his favorite tracks he was completely apathetic. I'd have thought that U2's Grace would've had some effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back