Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #61 of 4,655
Quote:

Hell, I'm not quite 30, and I probably put on Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here at least once a week...

I'm just about 40, and my mom still listens to Floyd. I think my whole family does. Yes, they've been around for a while... 
Dark Side or WYWH are greate reference tracks. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #63 of 4,655
Let my friends dad, who is 65, listen to my dt 770s. The dad said, wait for it.... Not enough bass.

I asked him what headphones he has and he pulled out sony iems.

I'm still confused.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #64 of 4,655
again, I think Beats are mediocre sounding,

it's just that when a person buys Beats, s/he doesn't have to
worry about what amp to get (or adjusting the EQ, etc) or even
people saying "you're crazy for buying those"

oh and by the way, when you let your mother/brother/sister/aunt/etc
listen to your hi-end rig, if they are saying "wow! these sound so good"
they are most likely saying it because they expect you want them 
to react that way.  it would probably take a good hour or so of listening
for them to really realize how good the sound is. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #65 of 4,655
Quote:
Let my dad have a go of my portable rig (iPod Video running RockBox> Heir Audio 4>Ai) as he wanted to know how I could be so hooked on hifi gear. Put Dark Side of the Moon on and passed it to him. He zoned out for a full hour, occasionally muttering bits of lyrics. The album ended and he returns to reality and said that I needed to hunt him out a high end set-up. Fortunatley for me he has more money than sense, so I'll be ordering either a iBasso DX100 or iRiver AK100 and hopefully tempt him to buy me a set of 4.A's or 8.A's in exchange for my 4.Ai's. 

Bit of an update. Found a Clip+ for sale at a pawn shop today so bought him it. Rooted out my old Grado SR60's and a 16gig microsd which I filled with prog rock and soul. He seems content with that for now.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #66 of 4,655
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #67 of 4,655
Wow, this thread hasn't seen the same amount of traffic since moving to its second iteration. I like it.

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #68 of 4,655
None of the head-fi crusaders have arrived yet :p

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #69 of 4,655
Just got an email today from a co-worker that I had cornered to talk about headphones and headphone amps.  He said I messed with his brain and he couldn't stop thinking about it, so he is eyeing the HD800's and get this, wait for it.......He bought a bottlehead crack to build his own tube amp.  We have a new recruit!!!
beerchug.gif

I will say that he has built his own guitar amps and such but never really thought about the headphones much until I chewed on his ear for a while.
L3000.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #70 of 4,655
Just got an email today from a co-worker that I had cornered to talk about headphones and headphone amps.  He said I messed with his brain and he couldn't stop thinking about it, so he is eyeing the HD800's and get this, wait for it.......He bought a bottlehead crack to build his own tube amp.  We have a new recruit!!!:beerchug:

I will say that he has built his own guitar amps and such but never really thought about the headphones much until I chewed on his ear for a while.:L3000:

Until I read the last sentence I thought he was all green when it came to headphones and audio :p, it wouldn't be the starting point I'd recommend any newcomer ^^ Guess I could think of worse things to spend time on :), yet another one is enlightened, let's hope he doesn't fall through to the other side of auras and atmospheres that can "affect" the sound quality :wink:

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #71 of 4,655
Today, i had a pleasant surprise. In chemistry class today my friend told me that he had got a pair of new headphones, and WOW he had a pair of denon ah-d2000s. I never knew he was such a sound quality freak. Anyway when my friend and i started to talk to him about his headphones, and about an amp for it as he uses his iphone as the power source, it turns out that he had no clue how to listen to audio or at least the terminology of it. But its always nice to see your friend starting to appreciate audio :D. We are now in the process of convincing him to get a CLAS and an amp and teaching him about the various audio file formats :DDDDDDD.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #72 of 4,655
Sweet! My audiophile conversion kit will arrive soon...I'll be able to post plenty of NARs next week. (Kit=Amperiors + JDS Labs C5)

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #73 of 4,655
I love it!

I hope that more and more people get into high-quality-sound headphones so that 
manufacturers can mass-produce and make things cheaper! (kind of like the Dragonfly)

p.s. read a good article about the marketing behind BEATS, and it showed how 
they are marketing these as "the must have headphones" so people are buying
them because of the celebrity-status rather than the sound quality.  I think in
the end this is going to help our headphone hobby immensely. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #74 of 4,655
Beats and Bose have incredibly strong marketing and persuasion techniques. Every time I'd bring up headphones as a topic in conversation with ordinary people somebody would mention Bose or Beats as some kind of reference for good sound. Especially arguments like NC in Space Shuttles impress other people. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of the Apple hysteria.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #75 of 4,655
Beats and blah and blah are just too commonly known as the brand to get, and not many are aware of hifi names.  That doesn't bother me at all.  But it also feels nice when once in a while, someone makes me feel I'm not alone.

A lot of things played in my mind while I was eating at McDonalds, there were two dudes staring at me for uncomfortably long periods.  I thought:
  1. Maybe I look familiar or remind them of someone else.
  2. Maybe I look weird.
  3. Maybe I'm eating the burger wrong.
  4. Booger on my face?
But when I was done and hurriedly went for the exit (it really was uncomfortable), one of them muttered "Beyerdynamic... that's Beyerdynamic" while the other stood up, called out, and asked if my headphones are good.  If the brand is trusted.  Where I bought it and how much.  I felt so relieved.
I then asked what music genre they like and both of them like rock ballad.  Got a local singer on my player and they nearly scoffed at my J3, but then got curious with my Fiio E17.  I just smiled and let one of them wear my DT770 playing 박완규 (Park Wan Kyu).  And this is a picture of his face:

O.O

Anyway, after about half an hour letting them listen to my gear, we parted with me feeling glad some people (in my community) appreciate non-blah brands.  I am not alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back