Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #47 of 4,655
Today at lunch I told an older couple I know about my new headphones (HE-500) and the woman gave me the typical 'are you nuts?' look.  I then told her about the Stax SR009 and the amp you need to drive it and her jaw dropped and she gave me a concerned look, but then said "well, it's your money"  I told her I did not have the Stax but that it was one of the best headphones available.  She said she could think of plenty of other things she could do or buy for $11k.  Meanwhile her husband (who has a few classic cars) was being very silent, he was probably thinking, 'If she only knew how much I spend on my hobby'

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #48 of 4,655
Quote:
Meanwhile her husband (who has a few classic cars) was being very silent, he was probably thinking, 'If she only knew how much I spend on my hobby'

Nobody on Head-Fi should ever mention cars. It's just in invitation for me to sidetrack the thread.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #49 of 4,655
L3000.gif
Oops!!  Sorry!!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #50 of 4,655
Quote:
oh and don't forget durian, i know (at least most of) they hate it with a passion due to its fowl smell. but most asians/malaysians (like me) like to eat them and think they smell very delicious
wink.gif

Alcohol tastes terrible. But if you expose yourself to it long enough, eventually you will come to like it. In fact it may start to taste really good. You might even eventually become a connoisseur with the ability to detect even the slightest difference in vintage.

The moral is that quality isn't always what its initially perceived to be.  It takes time to develop taste and there has to be somewhere to go. If you are dealing with crap, you can become a crap connoisseur, but its still crap. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #51 of 4,655
A friend told me:
"The instrument separation is too good and I can hear too much details, I just can't concentrate my attention on the music" when hearing my Shure SRH840. 
He used to listen music...through his MacBook's speakers! I sold him these few weeks later.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #52 of 4,655
Quote:
A friend told me:
"The instrument separation is too good and I can hear too much details, I just can't concentrate my attention on the music" when hearing my Shure SRH840. 
He used to listen music...through his MacBook's speakers! I sold him these few weeks later.

I can actually understand this. The first time I heard the HD800 back when I had basically nothing, I felt that way.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #53 of 4,655
Let my dad have a go of my portable rig (iPod Video running RockBox> Heir Audio 4>Ai) as he wanted to know how I could be so hooked on hifi gear. Put Dark Side of the Moon on and passed it to him. He zoned out for a full hour, occasionally muttering bits of lyrics. The album ended and he returns to reality and said that I needed to hunt him out a high end set-up. Fortunatley for me he has more money than sense, so I'll be ordering either a iBasso DX100 or iRiver AK100 and hopefully tempt him to buy me a set of 4.A's or 8.A's in exchange for my 4.Ai's. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #54 of 4,655
Quote:
Let my dad have a go of my portable rig (iPod Video running RockBox> Heir Audio 4>Ai) as he wanted to know how I could be so hooked on hifi gear. Put Dark Side of the Moon on and passed it to him. He zoned out for a full hour, occasionally muttering bits of lyrics. The album ended and he returns to reality and said that I needed to hunt him out a high end set-up. Fortunatley for me he has more money than sense, so I'll be ordering either a iBasso DX100 or iRiver AK100 and hopefully tempt him to buy me a set of 4.A's or 8.A's in exchange for my 4.Ai's. 

Very clever putting on Pink Floyd for your Dad... That's right up us "old folks" alley. 
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #55 of 4,655
Greatest album ever recorded in my opinion. Also makes a great test album, really shows off a good rig. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #57 of 4,655
I'm 22 and I do the same. Good music is good music, no matter how old you are.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #60 of 4,655
I lent my Fidelio L1 to my mother for about 1 minute yesterday and she said:
"I never though that you could get this enveloping sound with guitars. In fact, I never though guitars could sound this well"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back