Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 9, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4,621 of 4,655
Wow,  I see the prices listed.  $3,000 is a lot of money for a headphone.  I think it mildly amusing that it says it is the first or only in ' nanometer thickness '.  You can describe anything you want using a measurement of your choice.  For instance this -diaphragm is 3 billion nanometers thick ! They don't say it is 1 nanometer or 10 or 100 etc, you get my drift.
I see that they offer headphones at a number of price points.
I am a relative newbee with headphones.  Is $3K the typical price point for the top of the line for many manufacturers? 

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #4,622 of 4,655

I am a relative newbee with headphones.  Is $3K the typical price point for the top of the line for many manufacturers? 

It's starting to become that way.  Before it was closer to $1,500.  The Sennheiser HD 800 was that price, the HiFiMan HE-6 (their former flagship) was $1,300, the Audeze LCD-3 was about $2,000.  AKG's K812 and Beyerdynamic's T1 Gen 2 (and the Gen 1 at launch) were in this price range too.  Stax was the exception because they're on a different level, and they're the only ones with headphones I'm willing to pay over $1k for.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #4,623 of 4,655
Wow,  I see the prices listed.  $3,000 is a lot of money for a headphone.  I think it mildly amusing that it says it is the first or only in ' nanometer thickness '.  You can describe anything you want using a measurement of your choice.  For instance this -diaphragm is 3 billion nanometers thick ! They don't say it is 1 nanometer or 10 or 100 etc, you get my drift.
I see that they offer headphones at a number of price points.

Yes to what the previous poster said.

But the opposite is also true for non top of the line headphones. You can nowadays get way better sound quality for lower prices than ever before. If you just look at the $150, $300, $500 price points you now have so many incredibly great sounding choices, it's mad. Great times indeed. Heck just look at the iems you can get for below $100, crazy good.

As for the diaphragm of the HE-1000. It does help when the founder of the company Dr. Fang Bian, has done his PHD in nanotechnology. This headphone is indeed amazing and the technology unique (so far) in certain aspects.

Interesting times....

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #4,624 of 4,655
  [...]
Over the holidays, I brought my (used) Fiio X5 and (used) DT-990s to my parents' to have them listen and see what they thought. I played a FLAC rip of one of my mother's favorite classical pieces, and she was amazed. [...]  Then I played some Queen (a long-standing family favorite) and she started crying.

Update on this one. A couple weeks after I posted this, my mom took a dive on some ice and tore the muscle off her right knee. She had surgery to reattach the muscle, but has been bedridden for the past month while it heals enough to start physical therapy.

I brought over my X5 and AT-M50s, with the Fiio loaded with the Queen albums and high-resolution versions of Paul Simon's Graceland and some Joe Satriani, along with all her classical music (she has eclectic taste for a 70-year-old). I had to label all the controls with masking tape so she knew what to press to get around.

She's run the battery down five times so far, and starts PT this week. Fiio for the win!

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #4,627 of 4,655
  Flatmate listened to DT 990.
Sold his Bose QC-25 to the first buyer.
There gotta be a Why Bose is Bad -101 course thread.
Anyone?

QC-25 is a good, probably the best noise cancelling headphone. Good if you travel a lot, especially with airplanes - but SQ wise, yeah...

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #4,628 of 4,655

QC-25 is a good, probably the best noise cancelling headphone. Good if you travel a lot, especially with airplanes - but SQ wise, yeah...

Yes, Bose's active noise cancellation feature is perhaps the best in the market. If only they cared about NOT processing the sound so much to what they think is best for our ears...

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #4,629 of 4,655

True,its just the brand that we pay for that inflated price......and their r&d,marketing blah blah.
Sametime I also believe that they designed the qc series to aviation standards!

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #4,630 of 4,655
Yes, Bose's active noise cancellation feature is perhaps the best in the market. If only they cared about NOT processing the sound so much to what they think is best for our ears...

Well,those processing are all ambient noise elimination but nothing on the sound front.......so if you just use the HP w/o anc its the same bose sound, Ok for mainstream market and to those who love that signature and who use them mostly/prefers on travel. Plus they weighted on industry's top NC & comfort (top notch no complaints here)and yeah, the 4 letter brand with strong background on acoustic science. :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,632 of 4,655
I was over at my EX girlfriend's house and I was moving between my two houses, so I had my audio equipment with me. She knew I was into all sorts of speakers and headphones so I asked if she'd be interested in trying my Audioquest Nighthawks & Dunu Dn-2000j with my Oppo Ha-2, running from my phone playing Flac versions of her favorite music.

As a control, I had her grab her earphones and headphones (generic brandless) and listen to the music from her phone (256kbps [maybe] via apple music). Then I let her listen to mine, she put in the earphones for like 4 seconds and took them out and said
"oh they're ok".
I told her to listen for longer. After a minute she pulls them out and says
"I don't hear a difference".
My guess, she's not pushing them in far enough, whatever, I don't know, so I give her my headphones to try next.
"They sound exactly the same" she says

Now, I can tell when people are bullschiiting and just telling me that my equipment sounds better when they don't think it does, but I'm not gonna lie, I've never had anyone tell me that it sounds "Exactly" the same. Hearing is definitely somewhat subjective, but it's beyond me how someone can think that there's no difference.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #4,634 of 4,655
I have my house of Marley Positive Vibration, an already warm headphone, but because I have the SoundBlaster E3 I was able to EQ the hell out of the bass on Neutron.

In college. I had a friend that thought he was a bass head and had the exact same headphone in a different style. I told him to listen to these. He found them too bassy.

Yeah not much of a story.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #4,635 of 4,655
Would you guys be interested in seeing a  You-Tube version of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back