Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,471 of 4,655
Why would the logo matter to an audiophile. Audio Technica's logo is a turntable stylus tip but every day I see Audio Technica owners make snide remarks about the inferiority of turntable setups. And Sennheiser logo is just an S inside a stylised box. PSB logo only has the letters P and S and B. Compared to apple, these companies' logo look like they're kids' doodles.

Your argument makes no sense.

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4,472 of 4,655
BACK ON TRACK

Great thread!

My daughter who is in middle school wanted the cool looking headphones that many of her friends have. She din't know the brand but she said that there is a letter "b" on them . I told her to STAY AWAY from those.

I did research on budget audiophile headphones and found Tascam TH-02 with awesome measurements at Innerfidelity. For the price, these cans sound great with a neutral sound signature. I don't care much for the treble spike and some resonance though.

I got both my kids Tascam TH-02 for $15 each. They liked them very much. It's been a month and after the burn in, the kids like them even more.

Last week one of my daughter's friend who had the "b" headphones came over to our house, looked at the Tascams, got curious and tried them on. She was blown away! She said "Music is so clear on these headphones. I want these for my birthday. How much do they cost?". I asked her to take a guess. She said maybe $150 or $200. I was watching my kids reactions, they were gloating with pride.

biggrin.gif

I was genuinely surprised that kids at that young age would be able to recognize and prefer neutral sound signature compared to mass produced, overpriced commercial ones.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #4,473 of 4,655
BACK ON TRACK

Great thread!

My daughter who is in middle school wanted the cool looking headphones that many of her friends have. She din't know the brand but she said that there is a letter "b" on them . I told her to STAY AWAY from those.

I did research on budget audiophile headphones and found Tascam TH-02 with awesome measurements at Innerfidelity. For the price, these cans sound great with a neutral sound signature. I don't care much for the treble spike and some resonance though.

I got both my kids Tascam TH-02 for $15 each. They liked them very much. It's been a month and after the burn in, the kids like them even more.

Last week one of my daughter's friend who had the "b" headphones came over to our house, looked at the Tascams, got curious and tried them on. She was blown away! She said "Music is so clear on these headphones. I want these for my birthday. How much do they cost?". I asked her to take a guess. She said maybe $150 or $200. I was watching my kids reactions, they were gloating with pride.

:D

I was genuinely surprised that kids at that young age would be able to recognize and prefer neutral sound signature compared to mass produced, overpriced commercial ones.
I've been looking at those. Measurements look excellent. 30hz square wave and distortion measurements are surprisingly good for the price.

Mar 17, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #4,474 of 4,655
That's pretty cool they can tell quality over brand!  I recently had my friend over before he left for graduate school (props on MIT) and showed him my collection and he was completely blown away by how clear the Beyerdynamic T1's sound and how comfortable they were.  His response was "I gotta save up so I can get myself a set of these!"

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #4,475 of 4,655

That's one of the best posts I've seen in quite a while.  Haven't had the opportunity to introduce anyone new to my gear lately.  So far pretty much everyone has fallen in love with either the HE-400 or the HD-558.  Understandable, imo.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,476 of 4,655
Yknow, One time i was at school few years ago, and someone who had some beats solos, he asked what kind of third rate brand my headphones were... they were Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2s and i had a Fiio E12 AMP to power them to extremes.

first off, he called them third rate... My response was "Said the guy who probably knows little about audio, and has overpriced pieces of crap."

i'll cut some bickering but eventually i let him try them with his own music, using my amp though and he starts with "Oh these sound Clear, I'm hearing things i couldn't hear before! The bass though punchy lacks pa... (i hit the bass boost on the amp) Wow, holy -crap-! these things -rock-! (he cussed, i censoring. hence the "- -")

week later he tells me he sold the beats to a friend and bought the same headphones, though he wondered where was to punch and boom mine had, i told him a amp helps significantly. never did find out if he got a amp or not but he got pretty good headphones so, i'm happy.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #4,477 of 4,655
Why would the logo matter to an audiophile. Audio Technica's logo is a turntable stylus tip but every day I see Audio Technica owners make snide remarks about the inferiority of turntable setups. And Sennheiser logo is just an S inside a stylised box. PSB logo only has the letters P and S and B. Compared to apple, these companies' logo look like they're kids' doodles.

Your argument makes no sense.
you should see both sides of the argument before saying mine makes no sense. At least audio Technics's logo is related to an audio component, the sennheiser logo is a very artistically and sleekly designed S and PSB stands for the founders, Paul and Sue Barton.

However, apple's logo is not as artistic as Sennheiser's, has no relation to electronic components whatsoever and does not represent its founders in any way.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #4,478 of 4,655
And I know logos never matter to audiophiles, but I always like to bring this point up when arguing with my friends why apple is lousy, before bringing up all the tech specs which seriously suck. Its like laying a simple foundation, one a layman can understand, before drawing them into the more complex side of my argument. The only thing I admire about apple phones is the quality of the audio output (except for the 4S, which was seriously nasally). However, quality of output does not matter to those of us who have DAPs or USB DACs, so apple still loses in this aspect. And I'm certainly not going to pay a premium price for better output when I can get dedicated DACs and amps

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #4,479 of 4,655
I studied Creative Multimedia - Interface Design, I had years of experience in corporate identity, branding, graphics, I know what I was talking about. You apparently don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Apple logo. Here are some links and you can do your reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.#Logo
http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Apple
Quora link for the technically inclined - http://www.quora.com/Does-the-Apple-logo-really-adhere-to-the-golden-ratio/answer/David-Cole
http://creativebits.org/interview/interview_rob_janoff_designer_apple_logo
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/features/creative-lifestyle/apple-logo-designer-explains-why-it-is-so-successful/

I believe you have no idea the amount of work that went behind the Apple logo to make it look effortless and iconic. I stand by this statement. 

And whatever the rest you said is true though, I agree with them. Everyone has the rights to choose what DAP they would choose. I refuse to continue derailing the thread, anything else you can message me if you want to continue this.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4,480 of 4,655
So my brother got his AD900X, and he says he's loving it! He says that it's almost as good as the AD700 in terms of giving a spacious sound. I need to visit him and try it out!
atsmile.gif
Funny thing is that he's kind of a basshead. He likes to crank up his subwoofer. Yet he still likes the AD900X o.O.

Back to derailment: The Apple logo is ingeniously simple. And it even shows up on radiographs of Apple products!

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #4,481 of 4,655
^^oh i will be darned if the apple logo actually adheres to the golden ratio. I did that as part of a maths project 2 years ago.

And it seems like they did put in a lot of effort to make a good logo... But most people won't actually be affected by it, except those who know what actually went into the design. The apple logo has yet to strike a deep chord inside me for its design...

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #4,483 of 4,655
Shortest and least exciting post ever here we go:

My 18 year old cousin tried out my HD650's, she had never listened to music off something other than her phone or car speakers and only 192 kb/s eminem files. She had plans that afternoon (can't remember what exactly she was suppose to do) but she just ended up sitting in the chair listening for an hour or two and completely missed it. When I finally interrupted her she immediately wanted to buy them without having any clue what they were priced at. She ended up buying a pair of her own. My first recruit however the files remain 192 kb/s.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #4,484 of 4,655
Originally Posted by Dimitrisvensson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shortest and least exciting post ever here we go:

My 18 year old cousin tried out my HD650's, she had never listened to music off something other than her phone or car speakers and only 192 kb/s eminem files. She had plans that afternoon (can't remember what exactly she was suppose to do) but she just ended up sitting in the chair listening for an hour or two and completely missed it. When I finally interrupted her she immediately wanted to buy them without having any clue what they were priced at. She ended up buying a pair of her own. My first recruit however the files remain 192 kb/s.

That was a short post, but it was actually exciting, believe it or not. I like that you were able to convert someone so easily, convincing them to buy a mid-fi can right off the bat! I think she's going to need an amp and DAC soon...and music in better bitrates...and then a noise-proofed listening room...and then a kitchen built into that room so she never has to leave...you get the idea.
   Anyway, thanks for posting something on-topic. It was a lot more exciting than the Pony stories, Apple bashing, fake Beats stories, talk about audio gear without non-audiophiles listening to them, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back