Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 12, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #4,441 of 4,655

"Uhhhh,...are you running 50,000 watts to your headphones, or something? Damn, you must be deaf!"  
basshead.gif

My M-100s have a sensitivity of 103dB / 1mW, so if they could handle 50,000 watts, this would be 180 decibels pressed against your ears. 
triportsad.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #4,442 of 4,655
This was back in summer. A non audiophile friend (friend A) and a half audiophile friend (friend B) came over to my place. Friend B pointed out the price of HD800 + HDVD800, so friend A was like What wooot?
So friend B put the HD800s on, and I played him Beethoven Symphony No. 9 Mv. 4 (Ode to Joy, in case you're THAT not into classical). He immediately remarked on how "clean" the instruments sounded and how it felt like he was in the actual concert. Most of my friends would take off the 800s ~2-3 minutes into the movement, but friend A didn't. I heard him mumbling "so good... so real..."
When he took off the 'phones after the movement ended, there were tears in his eyes.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #4,443 of 4,655
This was back in summer. A non audiophile friend (friend A) and a half audiophile friend (friend B) came over to my place. Friend B pointed out the price of HD800 + HDVD800, so friend A was like What wooot?
So friend B put the HD800s on, and I played him Beethoven Symphony No. 9 Mv. 4 (Ode to Joy, in case you're THAT not into classical). He immediately remarked on how "clean" the instruments sounded and how it felt like he was in the actual concert. Most of my friends would take off the 800s ~2-3 minutes into the movement, but friend A didn't. I heard him mumbling "so good... so real..."
When he took off the 'phones after the movement ended, there were tears in his eyes.

Got the same reaction from my non-audiophile friends... Albeit not caring too much about SQ, many of them became reluctant to take off the headphone (system on my sig) even after half an hour of listening to music.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #4,445 of 4,655
Let my friend try my rig and he was very inquisitive as to upgrading from his source, Sony Z2. He also had prior knowledge about the Sony zx2. Warned him not to purchase it immediately as it's 1.6k and to check out other daps first

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #4,446 of 4,655
Let my friend try my rig and he was very inquisitive as to upgrading from his source, Sony Z2. He also had prior knowledge about the Sony zx2. Warned him not to purchase it immediately as it's 1.6k and to check out other daps first

Just tell him to get a Fiio X1 or X3.

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4,447 of 4,655
Sony DAPs to this day have the best and most functional UI, with features that actually work as intended. They might not have the BEST sound, but for most non-audiophiles and MANY audiophiles, they are the best choice. Price of the ZX2 is kind of ridiculous though lol

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #4,449 of 4,655
Just tell him to get a Fiio X1 or X3.

What I wanted to tell him too... but he said he wanted something like the ZX2 in terms of UI...

Sony DAPs to this day have the best and most functional UI, with features that actually work as intended. They might not have the BEST sound, but for most non-audiophiles and MANY audiophiles, they are the best choice. Price of the ZX2 is kind of ridiculous though lol

Agreed. Tho I personally find it too dark for my liking

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #4,454 of 4,655
What I wanted to tell him too... but he said he wanted something like the ZX2 in terms of UI...
Agreed. Tho I personally find it too dark for my liking

If you really care about the UI so much, why not just buy an iphone/galaxy/whatever and a v-moda vamp verza or something of the sort. Combine the two, save money, and have a much much better device.

Then at least people won't look at you like you're a colossal idiot for spending $1k+ on a device only for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back