Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 2, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #4,411 of 4,655
The point here is, non-audiophiles mostly don't agree with us in spending money and space for FLAC files.
They are rather satisfied with 128k mp3's or 320k mp3 at best (although very very uncommon, even my best friend didn't know about quality vs bit-rate till I told him about it a couple of months back, and guess what... he's an engineer - EE)

I think that it's only the audiophile community that can afford a ton of storage budget only for a small quality enhancement, even a tiny bit. Non-audiophiles won't ever do that. They'd prefer having more good quality songs rather than less but best quality songs
I was just stating my point. My parents are always extremely attentive to my views and after listening to my reasonings, now allow me to frequent local audiophile shops selling gear and music whenever I have the time

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #4,412 of 4,655

I was just stating my point. My parents are always extremely attentive to my views and after listening to my reasonings, now allow me to frequent local audiophile shops selling gear and music whenever I have the time

This is probably the second time you've hinted about how awesome your life is as a teenage audiophile. Thanks a lot. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #4,413 of 4,655
  This is probably the second time you've hinted about how awesome your life is as a teenage audiophile. Thanks a lot. 
rolleyes.gif

You sound like you're not having a good time as a teenage audiophile..

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #4,414 of 4,655
LET US GET BACK ON TRACK!

Anyway, i let my grandmother try my DT990s.

"Ohh, these are nice, They really do sound good! Mind playing any smooth jazz?"

She, however does not like headphones as 'they'll ruin her hair'

I told her about IEMs... "If they're as good as those, then i might have to get into this audio stuff."

Hehehe... though she is a tad wealthy... i would not be surprised if she got some thousand dollar IEMs at the get go... (and that would make me jealous!)

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #4,415 of 4,655
  LET US GET BACK ON TRACK!

Anyway, i let my grandmother try my DT990s.

"Ohh, these are nice, They really do sound good! Mind playing any smooth jazz?"

She, however does not like headphones as 'they'll ruin her hair'

I told her about IEMs... "If they're as good as those, then i might have to get into this audio stuff."

Hehehe... though she is a tad wealthy... i would not be surprised if she got some thousand dollar IEMs at the get go... (and that would make me jealous!)

Tell her about the CIEM Noble Kaiser 10, and tell her to get a couple pair with you :p

Mar 3, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #4,417 of 4,655
Mar 4, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #4,418 of 4,655
Just throwing my 2¢ into the 320 vs Flac.

For reference, I use dbAudioconveter which is an $80 audio converter with the most up-to-date mp3 lame conversion.

Now the problem is, people have no idea what they're listening for on 320 vs flac. Listen to some 8kbps, 16, 32, and so on until you get to 320kbps then try flac, see if you hear the same difference.

Anyway, some of the problems with flac vs. 320 is that mediocre encoders and false 320kbps are everywhere. Meaning that. 256kbps can be converted to 320kbps without any improvement and be touted as a better version. The real way to do it is convert it yourself from Flac to 320kbps and see if you hear a difference.

Another reason some flac sound better is because of what I referenced earlier, 320 coming from a 256 rather than a flac file. Generally CDs are mastered better/differently than their 256kbps counterparts so with that in mind, I always buy the CD, convert it to ALAC for iTunes compatibility & 320kbps for mobile use. This is the best set up for me.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,419 of 4,655
I think most of us who do blind a/b test use mp3 ripped from the same flac they want to compare.

And yes, the encoder quality might be a factor in deciding qualities of those mp3 rips. Comparing 128 kbps to 320 kbps and 320 kbps to flac there was definitely audible differences. I noticed that the differences were highly dependent on the music you're listening, some songs just don't have enough richness to produce a very audible impact when going down to 320 kbps. For some songs it was inaudible while for some it was very apparent even for non-audiophiles.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #4,420 of 4,655
Just throwing my 2¢ into the 320 vs Flac.

For reference, I use dbAudioconveter which is an $80 audio converter with the most up-to-date mp3 lame conversion.

Now the problem is, people have no idea what they're listening for on 320 vs flac. Listen to some 8kbps, 16, 32, and so on until you get to 320kbps then try flac, see if you hear the same difference.

Anyway, some of the problems with flac vs. 320 is that mediocre encoders and false 320kbps are everywhere. Meaning that. 256kbps can be converted to 320kbps without any improvement and be touted as a better version. The real way to do it is convert it yourself from Flac to 320kbps and see if you hear a difference.

Another reason some flac sound better is because of what I referenced earlier, 320 coming from a 256 rather than a flac file. Generally CDs are mastered better/differently than their 256kbps counterparts so with that in mind, I always buy the CD, convert it to ALAC for iTunes compatibility & 320kbps for mobile use. This is the best set up for me.

Agreed, I think the most important aspect in terms of music file quality is the encoding, then mastering, then the bitrate.

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #4,421 of 4,655
I have to start most headphone conversations with "I'm a bit of a nerd but..." Thankfully, most of my friends understand the purpose of looking for headphones  (in fact, i've already started bringing a friend into the game). I have learned never to say anything to beats owners because it's not worth it, although, my beats-toting roommate asked me the other day what I recommend as a replacement from his beats. Hopefully this beats trend is ending

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #4,423 of 4,655
BACK on TRACK:

When I first started dabbling in headfonia a couple of years ago, I bought a pair of Pioneer SEA-1000s (cheap, lots of good comments) just for variety and experience.  I like them, and still use them occasionally - though they're not my favorites.  Nonetheless, I thought they were such a good deal that I bought 2 more pairs to hold as future gifts to friends.

About a year ago, I met the 21-year-old son of a long-term friend in Bangkok for dinner.  Conversation moved around to music and - headphones and he mentioned that he had Beats.  I didn't bash, but was obviously not impressed and perhaps a bit condescending and he was defensive.  So last summer, I dropped off a pair of the Pioneers to his parents house. I got a phone call expressing how wrong he had been about Beats (from a kid I talk to once every year or so!)  His birthday was in the fall and his mom called me to tell me that he was emphatic that I should be included in the family gathering (I couldn't make it.) He also expressed interest in, but confusion about turntables.  Are headphones truly a gateway drug?

The second pair went to the girlfriend of another friend.  They were over at my place after dinner to share some wine, and she noticed the denim case of my OPPO HP-1s on the table and inquired what it was.  So, we had the demo and she was bowled over.  I pulled out several of my other 'phones (including the Pioneers - which she loved.) Boyfriend was rolling his eyes at our shared geek-joyment.  So, she got pair number 2, which she uses at work.  She's an architect and calls them her "don't screw with me now" phones.  Says when co-workers see her wearing them and bent over her desk, they know not to disturb her!

The Pioneers are really a great bargain at about $60 a pair, and have the added bonus of being curiously attractive and repulsive at the same time.  Even if you don't like the sound signature, you can use them at Halloween as they make the wearer look as if he is transforming into a Dr. Who Cyberman. Time to buy a couple of more to continue spreading the disease!!

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #4,424 of 4,655
I was back home for Thanksgiving, and my uncle was curious about my headphones (Soundmagic HP100).  He was using some crappy earbuds at the time and had no idea different headphones can sound so different.  A quick AB immediately changed at view.  I let him AB the headphone out of my Fiio X3 the Cayin C5, and he also noticed the improvement going to the C5.  Since then he has ordered the HP150, and I gave him my HM601LE.  He travels to China sometimes for business and told me he'll checkout the audio manufacturers factories like Fiio and Cayin when he goes there again.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #4,425 of 4,655
  I was back home for Thanksgiving, and my uncle was curious about my headphones (Soundmagic HP100).  He was using some crappy earbuds at the time and had no idea different headphones can sound so different.  A quick AB immediately changed at view.  I let him AB the headphone out of my Fiio X3 the Cayin C5, and he also noticed the improvement going to the C5.  Since then he has ordered the HP150, and I gave him my HM601LE.  He travels to China sometimes for business and told me he'll checkout the audio manufacturers factories like Fiio and Cayin when he goes there again.

LUCKY person! 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back