Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jan 25, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #4,157 of 4,655

Fiio LOD cable from iPod into the line in of the E17.  It bypasses the amp in the iPod and the DAC in the E17.

Oh.
Do you use the e17 with anything else?

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #4,159 of 4,655

I use it with my Hifiman RE0 a lot, mostly on planes.  I used to use it a lot as my bedroom rig with my Macbook Pro and DT880pro and HD600.  Now I have Modi's and Vali's (sexy little Schiit stacks) in the living room and bedroom so the E17 only gets use as a portable rig now.

If you only really use it as a portable amp, you should probably try trading it for (or selling it and using the money to buy) a dedicated portable amp, like the Fiio e12 or Cayin C5.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #4,163 of 4,655
A - Junior, one headphones do not make a solid reference anchor for judging quality of sound. You can only COMPARE any other headphones to your good quality headphones, and make a RELATIVE assessments of sound. To do more than that you need more than one superior headphones, I'd say three of them. I would pick Beyerdynamic T1, Sennheiser HD800 and Stax, either SR009 or Omega II. With these headphones you can triangulate [average out from the three sound signatures] what an ideal headphones' sound is, at the current state of technology. Against this ideal you could attempt to make some absolute judgments on the sound of headphones which you are reviewing. Guys with a lot of audio experience, those who for years have listened to several high quality headphones do have, in their heads, some approximation of what a perfect headphones' sound signature is. At your age you need more than one pair of headphones to attempt to do the same. 
B - You need reference audio tracks of various types of music.
C - Some, at least passive, musical training and basic knowledge of recorded music mixing and mastering. 

I told my parents not to get it as I don't have the time to search for a proper DAC and amp to drive it yet.

As for the musical knowledge part,I am on a government scholarship for music. That should tell u enough.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #4,164 of 4,655
^forgot to add, but I also play in the only school orchestra to win 7 consecutive top awards at the most prestigious youth competition in my country. And I'm also learning composing of music toozorin

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #4,167 of 4,655
 Originally Posted by TripBitShooter 

^forgot to add, but I also play in the only school orchestra to win 7 consecutive top awards at the most prestigious youth competition in my country. And I'm also learning composing of music too@zorin

Cool. Singapore is a small country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back