Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jul 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #3,556 of 4,655
Check this guy out - he's an audio journalist who writes for sites like http://audio360.org and has his own site named after his online handle, part time audiophile, so he's in the industry and has experience.

First video he does a unboxing of his own newly acquired Abyss AB-1266 headphones (cost over $5000).

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/Lny-Qcb_2FI[/VIDEO]

Second video he does a mini review of beats by dre Studio 2.0, also his own personal headphones, not review pair or anything like that, but he informs in the video of how he came to own them.

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/FMcyEz13t1Q[/VIDEO]

So, an audio journalist with audiophile credentials who owns Abyss and beats by dre, two very, very different headphones from each other and cost?

What would the beats haters have to say? Surely all that "muddy bass" from these "toy" headphones have no place for an audiophile?

Beats haters and naysayers, both regurgitaters of BS - watch and learn - your rehabilitation and education to reality starts within the second video and PTA's beats Studio review :wink: - lol :D, well not quite, but the video review by this guy who has credibility is worth watching to get this guys honest assessment of beats cans or in the case of his video, the beats Studio 2.0 (current model).

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #3,557 of 4,655
I have never owned a pair of Beats and I never will but I don't understand all the hate they get, They are not aimed at audiophiles and they aren't expected to sell withing the audiophile crowd. There aimed at consumers that want a pair of good looking headphones that have good features (Noise canceling), Are portable, Have a decent sound for non-audiophiles, and are from a well known brand that people have heard of. This is why they are advertised, because they want as many people as possible to hear about them so when a typical consumer is looking to spend a large(er) amount of money on headphone they will think of Beats and go and buy them because there is little else in that price range that are branded (Consumer) headphones and they will think more expensive = better. Whereas within the audiophile community most people will spend a lot of time looking for some new headphones and trying them to find the right sound for them and will look at and listen to a large number of headphone before settling on a pair they like.

TL:DR Beats have their place in the market, It's just not with audiophiles.

In other news I mainly get negative replies from people find out I spent £50 on my Sennheiser CX 300-II IEM's as they just don't understand it but one of my friend came to me for recommendations for some new "ear-buds" and i suggested the CX 300-II and he was a little skeptical at first but once he tried them he was amazed by them. I thing a lot  of people are put of buying more expensive audio equipment because they don't understand that you will get a better sound by spending more money on it. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,558 of 4,655
  I have never owned a pair of Beats and I never will but I don't understand all the hate they get, They are not aimed at audiophiles and they aren't expected to sell withing the audiophile crowd. There aimed at consumers that want a pair of good looking headphones that have good features (Noise canceling), Are portable, Have a decent sound for non-audiophiles, and are from a well known brand that people have heard of. This is why they are advertised, because they want as many people as possible to hear about them so when a typical consumer is looking to spend a large(er) amount of money on headphone they will think of Beats and go and buy them because there is little else in that price range that are branded (Consumer) headphones and they will think more expensive = better. Whereas within the audiophile community most people will spend a lot of time looking for some new headphones and trying them to find the right sound for them and will look at and listen to a large number of headphone before settling on a pair they like.

In other news I mainly get negative replies from people find out I spent £50 on my Sennheiser CX 300-II IEM's as they just don't understand it but one of my friend came to me for recommendations for some new "ear-buds" and i suggested the CX 300-II and he was a little skeptical at first but once he tried them he was amazed by them. I thing a lot  of people are put of buying more expensive audio equipment because they don't understand that you will get a better sound by spending more money on it. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #3,559 of 4,655

That's because the average consumer listens to mp3's, just wants to download their music and have it fast on the go. Better than having no music at all plus they don't go deeply into the hobby past that so they don't care. They hear music, have it in their pocket and are happy.

That's why iTunes is such a success.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #3,561 of 4,655
  What's wrong with Itunes? I am guessing you're gripe is that they don't support lossless? I find it hard to find lossless anyway, 320 seems sufficient. 

Not a thing, no gripes here. I use it myself I was just pointing out that the average consumer doesn't go seeking past what is offered by iTunes. But iTunes stepped up the file quality offerings since they first launched anyway.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #3,562 of 4,655
I don't have a problem with people having preference for a different sound signature, The only thing I don't like about them is some of them cost more then the headphones from different brand's like hifi man, Sennheiser and etc. I get it that some people might want boomy bass but I figure that they would want impact-full bass at-least from headphones like DT770 Pro's for example if there into bass that much aka bass head's. My local target is the only place that have beat's them set up for listening, beside dozen of people using them, who knows how much germs are on the earpad because I almost tried them on but I went nah. I know I wont enjoy them as they wont be the sound signature that I prefer so of course I won't like them.

It just sad that headphone's are now known as fashion statement from their original purpose,of course I won't carry my T90 outside because I wouldn't want some one to snatch it off my head and run off with them, with me chasing behind them. I once had a comcast installer talk about having beat's headphones after something on the news came on about them. Ask me if I had any and I said no and once I told him I had a pair of beyerdynamic's he gave me a funny look and though they was some knock off's. I had to explain to him that they was headphones for a different market as they not advertise like beat's are.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #3,563 of 4,655
Back on topic! My mother whose nearing her 50s auditioned my HD600 with The Beatles 'Come Together' through the marantz player and was absolutely blown away. It made her day. She's used to Apple IEMs. I'm surprising her with a similar setup soon 
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #3,564 of 4,655
Now she gonna try to steal your HD600's from you when your not looking.

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #3,566 of 4,655
This is "Non-audiophile reactions to high end affordable portable music players" XD

Jul 16, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,568 of 4,655
Not anymore. Now it's the try to convince everybody to consider beats and refuse no for an answer thread...

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #3,569 of 4,655
Here's an audiophile reaction to my dad's pair of HD650s.

*steals~*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back