Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,851 of 4,655
VModa M100, Sony Mdr-1r and even the Momentum does bass way better than Beats. I see them as nothing more than fashion statements(bad ones at that). I would have gone out of my way to make him change his mind. Lol

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2,852 of 4,655
Wow, you sold Tenore for $20?!?  Your friend is truly blessed!  They are awesome.

Yeah, they are excellent IEMs. I'm thinking of buying another pair just to keep and use occasionally. You may think he's blessed but he doesn't appreciate them as much as you think sadly. He mainly comments on the isolation and doesn't say much about the sound. If he knew more about audio I'm pretty sure he would appreciate them more. It also turned out that I didn't even have to sell them since the DX90 went out of stock for a little bit...Bummer.

Also, I let another friend try my FA Heaven VI. He says they sound pretty good and likes the isolation. He switched back to his generic IEMs for a little bit. I asked him if he noticed a difference. He said yes, my pair were clearer but didn't notice too much of difference. Sometimes, you may need to spend time to get used to the headphones/IEMs to be able to tell the difference. When I got into the hobby, I couldn't tell at first but got better at noticing the differences later.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,853 of 4,655
VModa M100, Sony Mdr-1r and even the Momentum does bass way better than Beats. I see them as nothing more than fashion statements(bad ones at that). I would have gone out of my way to make him change his mind. Lol
the new studios are actually pretty decent. They are basically an audiophile can with a slight bass boost... Where have I heard that before? :D (v-moda m-100.) the new studios are pretty darn good. I was quite surprised.... Now old studios?... An all out train wreck. They sucked. New studios still aren't as detailed, as say, my akg k240's, but still decent. I probably should have suggested v-moda, but then again kids hate leakage and love if headphones can get loud. And since most haven't ever heard of a thing called an amp, they assume beats are it. Maybe the looks and build could convince him. They look better than 2013 beats, and have around the same sound signature with just a bit more detail on v-moda's side, and if I convince him somehow to buy an amp, then they will go louder with less distortion. 50mm drivers are always nice... Now, for Sony, I'm going to say this: I will never recommend a Sony headphone. They just don't make them as well as they used to. The new xb series, even the 200$ models, feel like they are ready to break, and they sound like utter ****. Other Sony headphones have also gone down in quality at the same time. Sennheiser? Meh. I'd rather suggest other companies for audiophiles and bassheads alike. I just don't think a lot of their products are worth what they ask for them. V-moda is worth it for looks, build, and sound all the way. Just my thoughts.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,854 of 4,655
I have a reverse-like story where Im the non-audiophile, or I was:

Back in the day, we had at home a pair of vintage JVCs which were good (or thats what I remember), but I was used to the speakers, later then I bought my first iPod with the very original earbuds (first ones), and started to like them... Years later, I dont really minded about better quality headphones, I was kind of gamer who earned money winning tourneys and stuff, got to try a lot of gaming stuff which I didnt like over my Apple Earbuds but suddenly, one guy showed me the Sennheiser HD555...

Almost 7 years from there, here we are!

Other stories:

Some friends, and girl friends come to my home and while staying, they see my gear and want to try it, some are surprised (usually by the DT770s bass) or not, others by the DT880s clarity and trebble, and many others by LCD-2s sound signature, but this girl, friend of my sister who likes rock music wanted to try the gear, and her face was a poem xD

This other day, I was walking through the streets with my Grado SR80i (yes, I use em as portable headphones xD), and came across a friend, who asked me about "that vintage looking headphones", I was listening to some punk stuff which he liked, let him listen and MAGIC! He bought a pair just the following week, the first thing he said was "oh god I hear the music around my head, not inside!!". Despite Grados arent known for having a very expansive soundstage XD

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,855 of 4,655
I have a reverse-like story where Im the non-audiophile, or I was:

Back in the day, we had at home a pair of vintage JVCs which were good (or thats what I remember), but I was used to the speakers, later then I bought my first iPod with the very original earbuds (first ones), and started to like them... Years later, I dont really minded about better quality headphones, I was kind of gamer who earned money winning tourneys and stuff, got to try a lot of gaming stuff which I didnt like over my Apple Earbuds but suddenly, one guy showed me the Sennheiser HD555...

Almost 7 years from there, here we are!

Other stories:

Some friends, and girl friends come to my home and while staying, they see my gear and want to try it, some are surprised (usually by the DT770s bass) or not, others by the DT880s clarity and trebble, and many others by LCD-2s sound signature, but this girl, friend of my sister who likes rock music wanted to try the gear, and her face was a poem xD

This other day, I was walking through the streets with my Grado SR80i (yes, I use em as portable headphones xD), and came across a friend, who asked me about "that vintage looking headphones", I was listening to some punk stuff which he liked, let him listen and MAGIC! He bought a pair just the following week, the first thing he said was "oh god I hear the music around my head, not inside!!". Despite Grados arent known for having a very expansive soundstage XD
its not weird at all that you use those as portables. They are on ears. Now what's odd is that I use these as portables.
775670_679942288765141_1005495273_o.jpg
10258237_691696894256347_3867648956507630136_n.jpg
and maybe he was used to iem's?

May 1, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,856 of 4,655
the new studios are actually pretty decent. They are basically an audiophile can with a slight bass boost... Where have I heard that before?
biggrin.gif
(v-moda m-100.) the new studios are pretty darn good. I was quite surprised.... Now old studios?... An all out train wreck. They sucked. New studios still aren't as detailed, as say, my akg k240's, but still decent. I probably should have suggested v-moda, but then again kids hate leakage and love if headphones can get loud. And since most haven't ever heard of a thing called an amp, they assume beats are it. Maybe the looks and build could convince him. They look better than 2013 beats, and have around the same sound signature with just a bit more detail on v-moda's side, and if I convince him somehow to buy an amp, then they will go louder with less distortion. 50mm drivers are always nice... Now, for Sony, I'm going to say this: I will never recommend a Sony headphone. They just don't make them as well as they used to. The new xb series, even the 200$ models, feel like they are ready to break, and they sound like utter ****. Other Sony headphones have also gone down in quality at the same time. Sennheiser? Meh. I'd rather suggest other companies for audiophiles and bassheads alike. I just don't think a lot of their products are worth what they ask for them. V-moda is worth it for looks, build, and sound all the way. Just my thoughts.

Implying you've ever listened to an 'audiophile' can for extended periods of time..
Especially when you downplay Sennheiser, one of the biggest enthusiast headphone manufacturers in the world. Have you forgotten that the HD600, HD650, HD700 and HD800's are considered some of the best headphones for the money ever devised. The two latter not as much, but the two former, very much so.

May 1, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #2,857 of 4,655
Implying you've ever listened to an 'audiophile' can for extended periods of time..

Especially when you downplay Sennheiser, one of the biggest enthusiast headphone manufacturers in the world. Have you forgotten that the HD600, HD650, HD700 and HD800's are considered some of the best headphones for the money ever devised. The two latter not as much, but the two former, very much so.
ok then. I just don't like that sennheiser sound as much as akg. Isn't a man entitled to preferences and opinions? I'm not saying sennheiser is bad, but I didn't like the 558's as much as k240's. Is this a crime against humanity? To not like something as much as something else? I never have hated on sennheiser lol. I've just stated what I like more. Sennheiser is a very reputable company with some great products some people like a lot. I'll end up with an HD 600 in my collection someday. I don't "Downplay" them, I just state: they are not my favorite company of all time. If you like them, fine. Just don't be a fanboy about it. I don't have to like what everyone else does, and you don't have to like what I like. The only thing I'm really biased against? Apple products. Other than that, I could care less. Yes, I do admit I am biased in the world of phones and computers. Headphones? Nah. It doesn't really matter much informing me of the fact that they are a big company. I already knew that. If big meant better, beats by dre would be the best headphones of all time... But, no. That's not how it works. Any company, big or small, can be great. Now, please stop attacking my opinions with your opinions.

May 1, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,858 of 4,655
ok then. I just don't like that sennheiser sound as much as akg. Isn't a man entitled to preferences and opinions? I'm not saying sennheiser is bad, but I didn't like the 558's as much as k240's. Is this a crime against humanity? To not like something as much as something else? I never have hated on sennheiser lol. I've just stated what I like more. Sennheiser is a very reputable company with some great products some people like a lot. I'll end up with an HD 600 in my collection someday. I don't "Downplay" them, I just state: they are not my favorite company of all time. If you like them, fine. Just don't be a fanboy about it. I don't have to like what everyone else does, and you don't have to like what I like. The only thing I'm really biased against? Apple products. Other than that, I could care less. Yes, I do admit I am biased in the world of phones and computers. Headphones? Nah. It doesn't really matter much informing me of the fact that they are a big company. I already knew that. If big meant better, beats by dre would be the best headphones of all time... But, no. That's not how it works. Any company, big or small, can be great. Now, please stop attacking my opinions with your opinions.

Dude, I'm far from a Senn fanboy, if anything, I'm more of a Hifiman fan.. 
Claiming you aren't biased in the world of headphones is the most ludicrous statement I've ever seen you say. You haven't stopped fanboying over JVC for soo damn long.
Had I beat down your opinions on AKG vs Senn? Absolutely not and I have no idea why you think I have. Have I tried to constrict your opinion? Absolutely not. 
I'm saying their one of the biggest enthusiast headphone brands for a reason; they're recognized for their phenomenal headphones, so implying that I think bigger = better is ridiculous.

Which companies would you rather suggest for audiophiles and bassheads alike that you personally have used for over at least 10 hours? I'd love to know!

May 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,859 of 4,655
To be honest my first impressions on my HD558's were not that good. They grew onto me. I got my Q701's but slowly I am going back to the Senns again. They make excellent headphones. I also wouldn't call the M-100 an audiophile can. 

May 1, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2,860 of 4,655
Dude, I'm far from a Senn fanboy, if anything, I'm more of a Hifiman fan.. 

Claiming you aren't biased in the world of headphones is the most ludicrous statement I've ever seen you say. You haven't stopped fanboying over JVC for soo damn long.

Had I beat down your opinions on AKG vs Senn? Absolutely not and I have no idea why you think I have. Have I tried to constrict your opinion? Absolutely not. 

I'm saying their one of the biggest enthusiast headphone brands for a reason; they're recognized for their phenomenal headphones, so implying that I think bigger = better is ridiculous.

Which companies would you rather suggest for audiophiles and bassheads alike that you personally have used for over at least 10 hours? I'd love to know!
I used the senns for like... 3? And have I fanboyed over jvc within the last week? I don't think so. I think I've opened up my eyes. Jvc? Only for bassheads. Yes, I admit I was insanely stupid on this forum for the first... Whatever amount of time it was... But, I'm less stupid now! :D you specifically said, quote, "especially when you downplay sennheiser" well, I did say I don't think they are worth the money. I should have stated: worth the money to ME. It might be gold for others, maybe not. Do I really care what you think at this point? None at all. Especially when I'm being attacked for saying one negative statement about a headphone brand that was an opinion I have. That's a little extreme, no?

May 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2,861 of 4,655
Well, JVC seems to have a lot of fanboys now anyways with their new Ah-FX850 getting pretty good reviews.

Anyways, I just ordered a pair of T-Peos H-300, hopefully I receive them sometime within 2 weeks and I can start getting some reactions.

May 1, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,862 of 4,655
Well, JVC seems to have a lot of fanboys now anyways with their new Ah-FX850 getting pretty good reviews.

Anyways, I just ordered a pair of T-Peos H-300, hopefully I receive them sometime within 2 weeks and I can start getting some reactions.
looking forward to it.

May 1, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #2,863 of 4,655
My friend's mom listened to HD800s and she said they were good and it felt like Maroon 5 was inside her head playing a private band session in her head, lol. My friend said it was nice and he heard some details he couldn't hear before, but DAT PRICE THO.

May 1, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,864 of 4,655
I put on my friend's favorite song, Ramble On by Led Zeppelin, on my Grado's.  As soon as the song started he said to me "No, this isn't it..." I'm like, what do you mean this isn't it? This is Led Zeppelin II, of course this is it! Then his face morphed from a puzzled look to more of a grin, and he's like, "Dude, I've never even heard that clicking at the start of the song before!" I was laughing so hard, the poor guy didn't even know his favorite song because he'd never heard that much detail before.

The song, in case you've forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back