Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Dec 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,261 of 4,655

You should be aware that you can pretty much deplete the power reserve of a Capacitor with a resistor and some insulated leads.

As far as biasing the tube with a meter goes, you should wear insulated gloves rated for the voltage and have some experience. If you aren't comfortable, don't do it.

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,262 of 4,655
^In other words, if you accidently touch the capacitors you will get electrocuted. On the other hand, if you only use one hand and touch nothing else, you can get shocked but it won't be dangerous :D .

What can one do to prevent electric shock? (except not being stuppid and touching things you aren't supposed to ofc)

Some time ago I built my integrated amp where I had over 36V, which is enough to kill you. And I had these Japanese capacitors of 10mF (10'000uF), which were taking long time to discharge after you plugged off. I got kinda electrocuted few times... and once one of these caps blew while I was holding it my my hand. Fortunately my hand is still in one piece :D

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,264 of 4,655

frown.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #1,265 of 4,655
infograpgic_final_2.jpg

click for map of headphone/driving legality...

http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/17/2012/04/infograpgic_final_2.jpg

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,266 of 4,655
Just got my FiiO E07k, and of course.

"What the hell is that?"

However after an explanation, followed by a quick bass boost and handing over my V-moda m80's everyone's very impressed.

Sidenote: Just read the last few pages, might as well confess I'm 16.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,268 of 4,655
Funny thread so i thought Id share my expiriences:
First person was a co-worker. Her words on my HE-400 with Fiio E17 and cowon i9 with a FLAC file : This sounds so... clean. I cant hear anything but the music!
Second was another Co-worker, no words just a head movemenet approving the sound.
Third was my cousin listening to the HE-400 from the schiit asgard amp, no words, just a big smile for a long time and after the song, no words again just big eyes looking at the headphones with a smile.
fourth, another cousin, she drops by once a month to listen to music since then.
Fifth, an old friend from Madrid, again, great results.
Finally, my EX, "they are heavy"... Perhaps it was not such a bad thing that she dumped me :D.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,270 of 4,655
Obviously yes.
However i pick the recodrings depending on the person that listens. Normally i know their music preferences so I dont give them something they dont like.
My cousing likes like me Paramore and 30 Second to mars, but with my DAD i share Classica music more.
Me personally I think I like all sorts of music since i discovered Head-Fi, except some hardcore dubstep, trance, progressive.... If its too aggresive or repetitive I normally dont like it.

However my favorites for the task If i Am the one to choose are usually Things like the theme song from Gladiator, Skyrim Trailer, Florence+The Machine ... and some hits from the 90s :D.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #1,271 of 4,655
I let one of my friends (Japanese exchange student) listen to my STAX tonight, and he was really impressed. He said he usually buys $10 headphones, but he said "Wow, these sound really clear! These are really worth the price!"

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,272 of 4,655
 OH gawd, yea I hear you guys about Odd anime preferances *cough* tentacles *cough* *cough* 

I need to go to a Can my self, but I'm also a Baka.BT member, I do enjoy getting my Flacs from there as well! I'd have to say though Mushishi was one of my Favorite OSTs along with the Seiken Denetsu Music Collection. 

haha tentacles. I tend to gravitate towards slice of life, comedy anime. Not many tentacles on those. I found Guilty Crowns OST to be great. Chelly from EGOiSt has the voice of an angel. If your up to it, check out departures ~blessings~, Eutrope (normal and ~silence~ version) as well as Bios by Koboyashi Mika. Bios is strangely good lol. But yeah.
Anyways, I recently convinced by brother to pick up the UE4000 as they were on sale for $40. He actually likes them (he doesn't like my ue6000 because "not enough bass"). I'd say he got a steal, and I will convert him to our side yet. Muhuhahahahahahaha

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #1,275 of 4,655
Heh, one of my friend's brothers wanted to hear some "good" headphones, the other day, so I let him listen to the DUNU DN-1000. He just came back a few minutes later and said "Yup, these are better than all the beats I've heard. These are nice."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back