Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jan 2, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #1,276 of 4,655
I've seen my young sister this x-mass and I bought her ATH-TAD400. She's amazed with sound quality:) For my ear they are really great value headphones. It's $70 price while they sound similar to ATH-M50, and because they are open back, they have better sound stage and more subtle treble. However ATH-M50 have definitely more detail to offer. For example in more messy moments ATH-TAD400 tend to get confused and voices that would be heard distinct on ATH-M50 on ATH-TAD400 are interfering each other. Nevertheless you would really have to pay attention to this to hear that, otherwise these headphones are great. Man, it's $70 headphones, for this price it is a jevel! It is MUST HAVE headphone. So if you have a friend who knows nothing about hi-fi headphones this model would be a great present for that person, and most importantly not expensive one! My sister is really happy with these. She plays on bass (guitar) and she says it sounds amazing on those. She says she never expected bass guitar to have so much interesting detail in its timbre.

Side note:
I have auditioned ATH-TAD400 in audiophile shop, and source was AK100, and songs were female vocal with percussion and acoustic accompaniment.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #1,277 of 4,655
I was in Madrid this X-mas and an old friend of mine listened to my HE-400 with Fiio E17 as DAC and Schiit Asgard as AMP.
Quote: It sounds like in 3D... and so well sounding...

>D

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,278 of 4,655

I've looked into this. It isn't specifically illegal. Also, the legally deaf are allowed to drive. So the arguments against are relatively moot.

However in canada it's now punishable by fine using any sort of hands on device while driving. Said devices must be used in hands-free mode.

Most officers would at a glance see in-ear phones as hearing aids.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,279 of 4,655
I've looked into this. It isn't specifically illegal. Also, the legally deaf are allowed to drive. So the arguments against are relatively moot.

However in canada it's now punishable by fine using any sort of hands on device while driving. Said devices must be used in hands-free mode.

Most officers would at a glance see in-ear phones as hearing aids.

Unfortunatelly you are Confusing two concepts.
Legally deaf are allowed to drive becouse for them it is a common condition and they are used to it.

Due to this, their sight is more efficient and their concentration is higher while not only driving but even walking.

Of the other hand, If you listen to headphones or IEMs, your are actually less concentrated, and at a disadvantyge since you are used to beeing able to listen to sounds and have a quieter overall noise while driving than with IEMs or Headphones.

It is considered Illegal because the idea is to "lower dangers on the road", not "eliminate only those situations that will definitly end badly".

Its the whole point of speed limit :D.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #1,280 of 4,655
  Unfortunatelly you are Confusing two concepts.
Legally deaf are allowed to drive becouse for them it is a common condition and they are used to it.

Due to this, their sight is more efficient and their concentration is higher while not only driving but even walking.

I find music or audio books the perfect companion to the long drone of the never ending highway. However, in the city where idiots abound, I find driving a bit more stressful and thus won't listen to 'phones.  People always turn down the radio when trying to concentrate finding a house in a new neighbourhood. This does show that sounds do distract and there's a natural response to it.

Of the other hand, If you listen to headphones or IEMs, your are actually less concentrated, and at a disadvantyge since you are used to beeing able to listen to sounds and have a quieter overall noise while driving than with IEMs or Headphones.

But are headphones and the built-in car radio different?  Should we be pulling everyone's car stereo?

It is considered Illegal because the idea is to "lower dangers on the road", not "eliminate only those situations that will definitly end badly".
Its the whole point of speed limit :D.

Will the need for militant safety guidelines eventually come to this?  Do you want to live in that world... where even table salt gets banned? (different subject I know, but still IMHO the same mentality).

I've been playing the devil's advocate here... but I don't think we can stop people from wearing IEMs etc while driving.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,281 of 4,655
On the flip side of this, it reveals why most audiophiles prefer to listen to music in the dark.

Perhaps an interesting experiment would be to spend some time (like a day or so) blindfolded and then 'audition' your system again. I'm willing to bet it might be more fun - or bad - depending on what your setup can do.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,282 of 4,655
I am not saying its right or wrong, just saying its a fact that deaf people have less chance of getting distracted than someone using IEMs.

Im not gonna stop anyone from wearking IEMs while driving. I know I wont, and I wont get on a car where someone uses IEMs while driving. Thats my opinion :D.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #1,283 of 4,655
Schiit, I could have had gold for this thread. On my trip to Portugal I brought my HE-500s and Fiio X3, but forgot my 6.3 to 3
5mm adaptor and couldn't use or let anyone use them. I went on the trip with 40 other people.
Sorry guys :frowning2:

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #1,284 of 4,655
Schiit, I could have had gold for this thread. On my trip to Portugal I brought my HE-500s and Fiio X3, but forgot my 6.3 to 3
5mm adaptor and couldn't use or let anyone use them. I went on the trip with 40 other people.
Sorry guys
frown.gif

You dropped the ball.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,286 of 4,655
Some months ago I gave one of my friends my Sony MDR-100, my worst HP ($20, but actually OK.).
He said everything sounded so clear.

Quote:
  Heh, one of my friend's brothers wanted to hear some "good" headphones, the other day, so I let him listen to the DUNU DN-1000. He just came back a few minutes later and said "Yup, these are better than all the beats I've heard. These are nice."

LOL.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,287 of 4,655
I brought my Denon D2k to work the other day to use on my break. A co-worker asked me what kind of headphones they were, and I told him. He said oh man, they can't be better than my kids' Beats, those things are awesome. I just shook my head and explained to him that Beats were just Bass Cannons, and let him listen to mine. He said it all sounded really clear, but why spend so much on professional headphones if I am only using them to listen to and not using them for sound production? I said, why spend $300 of crappy bass cannons? 

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,288 of 4,655
  I brought my Denon D2k to work the other day to use on my break. A co-worker asked me what kind of headphones they were, and I told him. He said oh man, they can't be better than my kids' Beats, those things are awesome. I just shook my head and explained to him that Beats were just Bass Cannons, and let him listen to mine. He said it all sounded really clear, but why spend so much on professional headphones if I am only using them to listen to and not using them for sound production? I said, why spend $300 of crappy bass cannons? 

YEAP! You did it right sir! Here's a honor for you :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back