Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #1,172 of 4,655
  Skrillex is awful. Way too repetitive. And he doesn't know how to play his own music live or something... http://imgur.com/2yuOv

Time for round one of "Live electronic artist performance 101":

Those "Videos" they are talking about, are videos of his laptop whilst he is playing live.

Whilst headlining at festivals, I'm sorry to break it to you all, people very rarely play live. It's all pre-recorded, and created in a studio.

Why?

So the lighting, lasers and pyro guys all have set "cues" to work from. They know exactly when the big "drop" hits. It's all done precisely, to a timecode.

That being said: I've (personally) seen Skrillex do live sets during the day (when there was no lighting/lasers/pyro effects), and he was definitely DJing. I'm not at liberty to disclose how I know this, but let's for arguments sake just say that "I was there, and could see his hands".

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,174 of 4,655
Okay great you like the guy and we don't. Can this be the last post about it?

Sorry if it came across that way - Just thought it might be helpful if anyone was interested as to "why" the headlining acts do pre-recorded sets.

(Responses like this are why I don't talk about my work much on the forums)

EDIT: My opinion of his music isn't great, but I've worked with him a few times, so just wanted to clear up any misconceptions. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #1,175 of 4,655
Double post, for the sake of getting it all back on track:

I am having trouble explaining to my GF why I'm using valve amps, when I could be using software to get a similar sound.

She's clever, this one.

She's making ME question why I use valve amps. I think I just like the glow?

wink_face.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,176 of 4,655
Double post, for the sake of getting it all back on track:

I am having trouble explaining to my GF why I'm using valve amps, when I could be using software to get a similar sound.

She's clever, this one.

She's making ME question why I use valve amps. I think I just like the glow?

:wink_face:

I dont think such software exists.
And even it does, there is no fun in it. We dont really know what each tube will bring to us. Turn on the tube, get the hp on, and let our mind blown away (or not) :D. Its all about the emotions.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,177 of 4,655
There are two "Tube Sound" VST plugins that I have tried in the past and possibly more. I don't have a link at the moment but Google will bring them up. They are no where near real tube sound IMHO. :D

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #1,178 of 4,655
For a touch of warmth, I like the analog tape plugins from Tone Boosters a lot more than any tube plugin I've tried. Ferox and Reelbus are both good and free VST plugins. I have no idea if they sound anything like real tapes though...

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #1,180 of 4,655
We use tubes because we can and the glow from the little glass bottles is magical. :D

You could always bring up the why does she have so many shoes or handbags etc... Your tubes are an investment that can be sold down the road unlike shoes and handbags...

Keep the Pimp Hand strong good sir! :D

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #1,181 of 4,655
We use tubes because we can and the glow from the little glass bottles is magical.
biggrin.gif

You could always bring up the why does she have so many shoes or handbags etc... Your tubes are an investment that can be sold down the road unlike shoes and handbags...

Keep the Pimp Hand strong good sir!
biggrin.gif

xD lawl, 

Brothers, will you join me in praying the Pimp's Prayer? 

And that Tube Glow is magical 

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,182 of 4,655
Fun fact: Skrillex is actually a really lovely and down-to-earth guy.

koolas said:
Have you heard Lady Gaga's recent album "Artpop"? It's actually quite good even if she's pop artist.

I haven't heard it yet - but ready to have your mind blown?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holophonics#Recordings_released_using_holophonics

Look at the final entry under "Recordings released using holophonics"

The album was literally manufactured with headphones in mind.

*tips hat*

Mmmm, nice. I guess Spotify version is not enough to hear this though... Neither HDTracks nor HighResAudio have that album! I don't know why, but both have Prism by Katy Perry... This is so awkward...

Non-audiophiles would probably be happy with 120kbps Spotify though...

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,183 of 4,655
What happened to 320 kbit premium?

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #1,184 of 4,655
Mmmm, nice. I guess Spotify version is not enough to hear this though... Neither HDTracks nor HighResAudio have that album! I don't know why, but both have Prism by Katy Perry... This is so awkward...

Non-audiophiles would probably be happy with 120kbps Spotify though...

Lol  - did you mean to quote/reply to my comment? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back