Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Nov 24, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #1,156 of 4,655

Quote:
My Sennheiser HD439's....
They have literally skull shaking bass. Even without the bass mod, you put a FiiO e6 (A cheap cheap cheap amp) on the bass boost, turn them up, boom.

All I'm using is Pandora as a source right now, put on some trap or EDM and you can have a solid bass line the whole time whilst hearing details as well (Even though trap and EDM songs are very single threaded without the complexity of more...artistic music styles).

Your not listening to the right edm if you think that ;p

You need some good psy-trance

Oh boy, I'm talking about the mainstream EDM. I find you can't find any good stuff of anything else on internet radios.

BUT LET ME TELL YOU

I listen to all kinds of EDM. Yes even psy trance...and house....and club stuff...ambient, downtempo, breakbeat, acid, D&B, eurodance...

And I'll have you know, electronica IS NOT a genre! Or a word. It's fake. Whoever sees this, don't use that word as it is one of the 2 deadly sins. The other is thinking skrillex makes good music.

Cough

I listened to my friends skullcandy 2 XL's. Made me remember the old days when I used to buy skullcandies. Jesus what was I missing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #1,158 of 4,655
Not in my case. I am an older person with hearing loss and tinnitus (from my rock & roll youth no doubt) I never imagined that good headphones etc would make a difference, but I was wrong. The sound quality of nice headphones with a nice tube dac/amp brings the music alive (and I can adjust it so that I don't have to wear my hearing aides). I can hear quality that reminds me of live performance and all without good hearing or "golden ears".

SUP :)

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #1,159 of 4,655
> Whoever sees this, don't use that word as it is one of the 2 deadly sins. The other is thinking skrillex makes good music <

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you right there. I listen to EDM (90%), classical (7.5%) and classic rock/alternative (2.5%) and I have to say Skrillex is one of the more talented artists. He's up there with Seven Lions, Pendulum, and Zomboy in terms of genius, theory and just production. I find it common that most newbies (and veterans) to EDM bash Skrillex because he's mainstream and popular. I'm not sure why, but he is incredibly talented and very few people notice that.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,160 of 4,655
> Whoever sees this, don't use that word as it is one of the 2 deadly sins. The other is thinking skrillex makes good music <

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you right there. I listen to EDM (90%), classical (7.5%) and classic rock/alternative (2.5%) and I have to say Skrillex is one of the more talented artists. He's up there with Seven Lions, Pendulum, and Zomboy in terms of genius, theory and just production. I find it common that most newbies (and veterans) to EDM bash Skrillex because he's mainstream and popular. I'm not sure why, but he is incredibly talented and very few people notice that.

Okay? No one cares about what you think of him.  Usually what I just said would be completely un called for but your post was completely irrelevant.  "Shrillex" and all the other *lame* "artist" are the reason Skream isn't making dubstep anymore.  There's nothing genius about him and there's no "theory" in his dubstep.  Considering you listen to classical I think you'd understand that.  

inb4 thread de-railment

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,161 of 4,655
Was I talking to you? I'm pretty sure I didn't reply to you.

Have you ever thought Skream doesn't produce anymore because he doesn't want to? Wow, I know. Its not like Skrillex made him quit. There is musical theory in every single genre. I suggest you try a hand at producing before you critique artists that wrote their own pieces.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,162 of 4,655

+1

I'd also most of the time listen to EDM, and I'd find time for some classical and rock. Skrillex is not necessarily my favorite and I'd prefer Steve Aoki. What I consider mainstream would be Guetta or Avicii, and even if it is wishy-washy music at the end of day it ain't bad. It's definitely better than all that MTV charts crap. Have you heard Lady Gaga's recent album "Artpop"? It's actually quite good even if she's pop artist.

I don't really like the term EDM. Which style does it actually refer to? When I say I like EDM I don't actually mean that I like Skrillex type of music. So why would someone put all different styles of electronic music into one box? Why can we have Rock, Metal, Blues and no one puts that into "electric guitar music" box? On the other hand why all classical music is in "classical music" box? There is so many styles, stop putting things into boxes, because it's ridiculous.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #1,163 of 4,655
+1

I'd also most of the time listen to EDM, and I'd find time for some classical and rock. Skrillex is not necessarily my favorite and I'd prefer Steve Aoki. What I consider mainstream would be Guetta or Avicii, and even if it is wishy-washy music at the end of day it ain't bad. It's definitely better than all that MTV charts crap. Have you heard Lady Gaga's recent album "Artpop"? It's actually quite good even if she's pop artist.

I don't really like the term EDM. Which style does it actually refer to? When I say I like EDM I don't actually mean that I like Skrillex type of music. So why would someone put all different styles of electronic music into one box? Why can we have Rock, Metal, Blues and no one puts that into "electric guitar music" box? On the other hand why all classical music is in "classical music" box? There is so many styles, stop putting things into boxes, because it's ridiculous.

Valid point. I'd go and say I listen to the step genres of EDM as well as D&B. As far as dubstep/brostep goes, Skrillex is the most mainstream artist, with Knife Party being up there. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #1,164 of 4,655
Was I talking to you? I'm pretty sure I didn't reply to you.

Have you ever thought Skream doesn't produce anymore because he doesn't want to? Wow, I know. Its not like Skrillex made him quit. There is musical theory in every single genre. I suggest you try a hand at producing before you critique artists that wrote their own pieces.

+1

Valid point. I'd go and say I listen to the step genres of EDM as well as D&B. As far as dubstep/brostep goes, Skrillex is the most mainstream artist, with Knife Party being up there. 

Let's start with basics. Skrillex is NOT Dub Step

let's define Dub Step,

the name alone denotes the comboniation of Dub and Garage 2 Step, what do we know about Dub Music... it has RIDDIM! That said, imo Dub Step need's to remain true to it's Roots and keep a good Riddim! 

Skrillex is not Dub Step... rather he is Break Beat, and I have no issue with his music. Just with calling his music "Dub Step" it's not Dub Step... he has no sense of Riddim. There's not a issue with that. But let's show some respect for Dub Music, which takes it roots in Reggae. That said I usually sum most of that stuff into the Genre EDM, but Dub Step.. is DUB Step. Imo Dub Step, requires Riddim. If you don't know what riddim is well then... your life must have been terrible sad up till now ^^

And I too miss Skream, Digital Mystikz, and Mala  and mosr of all L Wiz :[  

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,165 of 4,655

Let's start with basics. Skrillex is NOT Dub Step

let's define Dub Step,

the name alone denotes the comboniation of Dub and Garage 2 Step, what do we know about Dub Music... it has RIDDIM! That said, imo Dub Step need's to remain true to it's Roots and keep a good Riddim! 

Skrillex is not Dub Step... rather he is Break Beat, and I have no issue with his music. Just with calling his music "Dub Step" it's not Dub Step... he has no sense of Riddim. There's not a issue with that. But let's show some respect for Dub Music, which takes it roots in Reggae. That said I usually sum most of that stuff into the Genre EDM, but Dub Step.. is DUB Step. Imo Dub Step, requires Riddim. If you don't know what riddim is well then... your life must have been terrible sad up till now ^^

And I too miss Skream, Digital Mystikz, and Mala  and mosr of all L Wiz :[  

+1. I'm waiting for Skism to make more songs :). Skrillex's older songs from his older EP's are dubstep and brostep. As far as breakbeat goes (which I love breakbeat), Skrillex has a lot of elements of breakbeat in his songs. To call Skrillex a bad artist without talent though, is pretty harsh (I'm referring to Mach)
Do I listen to him? Sure, if it randomly shuffles to him. I don't love his work, but it's still worthy of a listen.

Anyways, back on topic of the thread.
I'm thinking of getting DT880's or 990's for my friend come Christmas time. I'm just waiting to see his reaction! (He already has SRH 750dj and ATH M50's)

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,166 of 4,655
  +1. I'm waiting for Skism to make more songs :). Skrillex's older songs from his older EP's are dubstep and brostep. As far as breakbeat goes (which I love breakbeat), Skrillex has a lot of elements of breakbeat in his songs. To call Skrillex a bad artist without talent though, is pretty harsh (I'm referring to Mach)
Do I listen to him? Sure, if it randomly shuffles to him. I don't love his work, but it's still worthy of a listen.

Anyways, back on topic of the thread.
I'm thinking of getting DT880's or 990's for my friend come Christmas time. I'm just waiting to see his reaction! (He already has SRH 750dj and ATH M50's)

I might go for the DT 990! If he likes bass heavy cans, and he owns two of them it seems... 

I think he could really enjoy the Dt 990! It's got the AWESOME clarity of an open can with some KICKIN bass! That and I used to HATE on Skrillex as well... then I realized... he's not a Dub Step Artists, he's a Break Beat guy... and once I came to that conclusion... I can accept him as an artist. Not to mention, I hear he's actually a really good DJ 

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #1,167 of 4,655
  I might go for the DT 990! If he likes bass heavy cans, and he owns two of them it seems... 

I think he could really enjoy the Dt 990! It's got the AWESOME clarity of an open can with some KICKIN bass! That and I used to HATE on Skrillex as well... then I realized... he's not a Dub Step Artists, he's a Break Beat guy... and once I came to that conclusion... I can accept him as an artist. Not to mention, I hear he's actually a really good DJ 

Him and I share scarily similar tastes. I came back from South America after 6 months, and I went to show him my HFI-580s. Little did I know, he also bought ATH M50's. We had no form of contact, so it was a nice surprise! 

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #1,168 of 4,655
Fun fact: Skrillex is actually a really lovely and down-to-earth guy.

Have you heard Lady Gaga's recent album "Artpop"? It's actually quite good even if she's pop artist.

I haven't heard it yet - but ready to have your mind blown?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holophonics#Recordings_released_using_holophonics

Look at the final entry under "Recordings released using holophonics"

The album was literally manufactured with headphones in mind.

*tips hat*

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,169 of 4,655
*Mind blown!!!!*

Might as well get the LadyGaga new album then and make it my first LadyGaga album...

Why are we talking about music in this thread though... "Audiophile reactions to high-quality records"? xD

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,170 of 4,655
This is almost as bad as youtube. I say we can debate skrillex somewhere else :3

Wow. Forget tip hat im gonna bow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back