Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 25, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #4,366 of 4,655
I have a friend who can be described as a tipical subwoofer/amp DIY-er, Magnat woofer lover. He listened my setup and the first reaction was : " This sounds clear but nothing special, you need a woofer to sound better" lol

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #4,367 of 4,655
To the young members. Careful with your ears. One of the great things about Hi fi is the details that are revealed. This means you don't have to have the music loud all the time. No need for fatigue. If you're an aspiring musician, it will make you a smarter musician as well. If your volume is always up there is an inaccurate emotional response that can affect your skills.

Feb 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #4,368 of 4,655
  10/10, would read rants and audiophile lingos in your blog.

I sure hope you are storing your music files in a nitrogen cooled sony premium sd card,or the files would get too hot from being played with a tube amp.
And i do need all of this quality and appreciate it because my 60+ years old ears did not degrade biologically like every other human.

My dear friend, what do you listen to when going outside to let your tube amps warm up for the usual 4hours+?

When i am on the go, I like listening to my player+double dac (when i am going light) + external 4tb premium storage in raid + preamp+ multiple tube amp and a car battery pack to power them, of course.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #4,369 of 4,655
I sure hope you are storing your music files in a nitrogen cooled sony premium sd card,or the files would get too hot from being played with a tube amp.

And i do need all of this quality and appreciate it because my 60+ years old ears did not degrade biologically like every other human.

My dear friend, what do you listen to when going outside to let your tube amps warm up for the usual 4hours+?

When i am on the go, I like listening to my player+double dac (when i am going light) + external 4tb premium storage in raid + preamp+ multiple tube amp and a car battery pack to power them, of course.

I hope youre using optima blue top batteries, anything else and you're just missing so much emotion and lushness

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #4,370 of 4,655
Never underestimate the gullibility of an audiophile.

I was recently ostracized at another forum. A forum member, who was considering spending $350 on new tonearm cables for his turntable, was told that he had to borrow or acquire a cable burn-in device to burn in the new cables. If this wasn't done he would only be getting 15% of the performance capability of the new cables.

In a nutshell, I said that this was a lot of hogwash. My comment was "Welcome to the Enid Lumley Society for the Propogation of Hoodwinks, Hooey, and Hoaxes".

Obviously this was not a popular opinion.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #4,371 of 4,655

I was recently ostracized at another forum. A forum member, who was considering spending $350 on new tonearm cables for his turntable, was told that he had to borrow or acquire a cable burn-in device to burn in the new cables. If this wasn't done he would only be getting 15% of the performance capability of the new cables.

In a nutshell, I said that this was a lot of hogwash. My comment was "Welcome to the Enid Lumley Society for the Propogation of Hoodwinks, Hooey, and Hoaxes".

Form my own experience, cables upgrades do change the sound signature a tiny bit, and it's good for smoothing out some bad peaks. But won't in any way improve the technical capability of a headphone. 

Spending top dollar for cables to get that perfect sound signature you desire is not a bad thing at all especially when you're at summit fi. But I would upgrade my headphones, amp, dac and music library before looking at cables.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #4,372 of 4,655
Reminds me of a teacher I used to have. Or well, he teached me once or twice, while I was still rocking the Beats Pro. As almost every audiophile, he kind of despised me (but he was still a nice guy though, I only noticed because I looked back at it, it was more in a joking manner). Now about 2,5 years later, I found out by accident that he was an audiophile, by searching for an used HD800. Now I own his HD800 :)

Wow! XD

To the young members. Careful with your ears. One of the great things about Hi fi is the details that are revealed. This means you don't have to have the music loud all the time. No need for fatigue. If you're an aspiring musician, it will make you a smarter musician as well. If your volume is always up there is an inaccurate emotional response that can affect your skills.

I never listen loud! :D

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #4,373 of 4,655

I hope youre using optima blue top batteries, anything else and you're just missing so much emotion and lushness

of course, and I laced the batteries in ferrite cores and balanced cables to be sure

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #4,374 of 4,655

Form my own experience, cables upgrades do change the sound signature a tiny bit, and it's good for smoothing out some bad peaks. But won't in any way improve the technical capability of a headphone. 

Spending top dollar for cables to get that perfect sound signature you desire is not a bad thing at all especially when you're at summit fi. But I would upgrade my headphones, amp, dac and music library before looking at cables.

what do yo mean tiny difference??? I feel a completely different sound! removing all the oxygen in the cables helps a lot, we all know that all cables are different,it's not like they do all the same function!!! and they do not conserve bits and bytes of information if the connectors aren't baptised by the Pope,and made of platinum (platinum is better than gold and copper, has to be, it's more expensive).

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #4,377 of 4,655
what do yo mean tiny difference??? I feel a completely different sound! removing all the oxygen in the cables helps a lot, we all know that all cables are different,it's not like they do all the same function!!! and they do not conserve bits and bytes of information if the connectors aren't baptised by the Pope,and made of platinum (platinum is better than gold and copper, has to be, it's more expensive).

lol

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #4,379 of 4,655
I think we might be getting slightly off topic here... 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back