Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,276 of 4,655
I got a new reaction. I went to my little cousins birthday party last night and I was using my HA-SZ2000 last night with my Fiio e12 and X5. One of my cousins need headphones to use for her phone and my cousins boyfriend recommended she use my HA-SZ2000. She just said no in a "uhh...I don't want to use it and hurt their feelings" manner. And I said "let me guess you have Beats." and she said "uhh...yea...". Another reaction was when one of my little cousins step-brothers was asking "Why are you playing it so loud?" and I said "I'm only playing it half way." His face went :eek: .

Open backed headphones....

And darn it. Why can't people try new things...

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,277 of 4,655
It's kind of the same thing with Beats, I mean, a pair of beats pro is $400. (That said, they sound like the UE6000 which are $80) Not even my Philips Fidelio X2 or Mad Dogs cost even that much. I'd really have a hard time justifying paying $400 for a pair of any headphones though, to be honest. Maybe when I'm earning more.

(Then again, I did somehow justify paying $320 for a V-moda Vamp Verza lol)
IMO, the UE6000 is quite a bit better than the Pro's in all aspects except like... Build quality.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #4,278 of 4,655
So, I have a friend who has a Xonar Essence One ST, and I'm trying to tell him he's bottle-necking it with his Razor Kraken.
He has to take painkiller while wearing it, because of a weakness in his skull, and I'm going to try to convince him to get the ATH-AD900X's.
He listens to orchestral, acoustic, acoustic rock, and a bunch of gaming soundtracks.  Anyone have any advice on how I can further convince him to get them?

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,279 of 4,655
  So, I have a friend who has a Xonar Essence One ST, and I'm trying to tell him he's bottle-necking it with his Razor Kraken.
He has to take painkiller while wearing it, because of a weakness in his skull, and I'm going to try to convince him to get the ATH-AD900X's.
He listens to orchestral, acoustic, acoustic rock, and a bunch of gaming soundtracks.  Anyone have any advice on how I can further convince him to get them?

Razer Kraken are some of the worth sounding headphones I have ever heard, period. Like, horrifically bad. If he has to take pain-killers just to wear headphones, then clearly he is doing it wrong, and if he can't be convinced with pain, not sure much else will convince him.

He is really better off with an IEM. Maybe a RHA MA750.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4,280 of 4,655

You could buy them have him listen to them and see if they convince him, then if not you can keep them for yourself...it's a good plan I think...
wink_face.gif

$144 on amazon form beach camera...

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #4,281 of 4,655

Razer Kraken are some of the worth sounding headphones I have ever heard, period. Like, horrifically bad. If he has to take pain-killers just to wear headphones, then clearly he is doing it wrong, and if he can't be convinced with pain, not sure much else will convince him.

He is really better off with an IEM. Maybe a RHA MA750.

I was going to recommend some IEMs, but foreign objects in his ears just feel wrong to him.  And you probably know the reason I'm trying to get him to get the AD900X's.

You could buy them have him listen to them and see if they convince him, then if not you can keep them for yourself...it's a good plan I think...
wink_face.gif

$144 on amazon form beach camera...

We're internet friends, so that doesn't work XD.

Also, apparently he buys everything on NewEgg instead of Amazon, which is a bit odd.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #4,282 of 4,655
  I was going to recommend some IEMs, but foreign objects in his ears just feel wrong to him.  And you probably know the reason I'm trying to get him to get the AD900X's.

We're internet friends, so that doesn't work XD.

Also, apparently he buys everything on NewEgg instead of Amazon, which is a bit odd.

Compared to Amazon, NewEgg customer service is horrific. Not bad on its own, but compared to Amazon ... D:

Seriously, anything other than Kraken will probably sound better over $100 XD Kraken is just so darn bad.

What about the G4ME One or Zero by Sennheiser?

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #4,283 of 4,655

Compared to Amazon, NewEgg customer service is horrific. Not bad on its own, but compared to Amazon ... D:

Seriously, anything other than Kraken will probably sound better over $100 XD Kraken is just so darn bad.

What about the G4ME One or Zero by Sennheiser?

He doesn't even need it to market as a headset.  He just fell for the mainstream trap, and I've told him that the high end sound card is just a waste with the Krakens.  He has bookmarked the AD900X's, but right now, he's content with what he has.  I can respect that..

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #4,284 of 4,655
I have a friend who is about to pull the trigger on a pair of Beats Studios and I told him, look, if you just redirect your money to these HD558's or this m50x, you'll be much happier with the sound. And he said, "But I want the Beats." And I said, "Why?" And he said: "Because all my favorite NBA players wear them."

Ha! Good luck to me on trying to flip him. He just wants to be like Russell Westbrook or DRose--he's not actually interested in sound quality (even though he says he is). Headphones as fashion accessory (I know, I know--there are much better looking headphones than Beats).

There you have it. Marketing working in the marketplace. I can't compete. :frowning2:

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #4,285 of 4,655
A buddy of mine recently inquired about getting 2 pairs of headphones for Valentine's Day and letting his girl choose one to keep.  I suggested the AKG K550's and ATH-M50x's.  She ended up keeping the AKG's and he got the Audio Technica's.  

He was really blown away by the sound quality and was really sad that he'd been missing out on good quality sound (especially after I told him to get a little USB dongle DAC to make music from his computer sound even better).  I'm so happy to share my passion and am grateful when people reciprocate with an equal panache and zeal :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #4,286 of 4,655
  I have a friend who is about to pull the trigger on a pair of Beats Studios and I told him, look, if you just redirect your money to these HD558's or this m50x, you'll be much happier with the sound. And he said, "But I want the Beats." And I said, "Why?" And he said: "Because all my favorite NBA players wear them."

Ha! Good luck to me on trying to flip him. He just wants to be like Russell Westbrook or DRose--he's not actually interested in sound quality (even though he says he is). Headphones as fashion accessory (I know, I know--there are much better looking headphones than Beats).

There you have it. Marketing working in the marketplace. I can't compete. :frowning2:

XD man keep tryin'! celebrity worshippin'/sheepin' is horrible....and yes there are tons of better looking headphones than beats. I think my M50xBL's and Sennheiser Urbanites look better, and any V-moda and Audeze headphones are beast. Those are 2 brands that I'm plannin' on spending my money on most of there headphones.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #4,287 of 4,655

XD man keep tryin'! celebrity worshippin'/sheepin' is horrible....and yes there are tons of better looking headphones than beats. I think my M50xBL's and Sennheiser Urbanites look better, and any V-moda and Audeze headphones are beast. Those are 2 brands that I'm plannin' on spending my money on most of there headphones.

That's just me, though; but by looks and sound V-Moda is so....ehhh. They sound more like anti-Beats cans than "proper" audiophile cans.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,288 of 4,655

That's just me, though; but by looks and sound V-Moda is so....ehhh. They sound more like anti-Beats cans than "proper" audiophile cans.

XD woah where did you find that meme, did you make it? XD thats the thing My Vmoda LP can was the first headphone that got me into this stuff that why not necessarily for sound besides that m-100 people keep talking about. and as for audeze I plan on getting the EL-8 and all their other stuff once I get the money.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #4,290 of 4,655
  A buddy of mine recently inquired about getting 2 pairs of headphones for Valentine's Day and letting his girl choose one to keep.  I suggested the AKG K550's and ATH-M50x's.  She ended up keeping the AKG's and he got the Audio Technica's.  

He was really blown away by the sound quality and was really sad that he'd been missing out on good quality sound (especially after I told him to get a little USB dongle DAC to make music from his computer sound even better).  I'm so happy to share my passion and am grateful when people reciprocate with an equal panache and zeal :)

If you want, I can photoshop a picture of Larry Bird wearing a set of HE90s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back