Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #4,306 of 4,655
  Had a micro-meet at work during lunch yesterday and two younger dudes listened to my HD800's from my Schiit Vali and were blown away.  I also convinced one of them that flac is indeed better than his mp3's
biggrin.gif
.  They both were not ready to run out and buy $1500 headphones, though, so I let them try my iGrados and one of them (owns skullcandy earbuds) wants to buy a pair.  While I was packing up two other guys came over and listened, one did not want to touch the HD800's at first but the reaction of the first one convinced him that he HAD to try them.  He just stared at me with this "wholly cow" look on his face. He also listened to the iGrados. he compared them to his earbuds from his phone and also wants to buy a pair.  So that's two that want the Grados, but wait there's more, I told both of the ones that want to buy Grado that I had higher end grados at home that I could bring in for them to listen to, so tomorrow I will be bring my SR325is and my PS500s in.  May just convince them to "upgrade" before they even buy the first set...I know, I'm evil that way.
evil_smiley.gif

Brought my iGrado to work and converted no one yet... Brought my 325is and MS Pro once... No one either. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #4,307 of 4,655
Well. talking as someone who is really new to the whole audiophile scene:
If you would have asked me 2 weeks ago if i would ever spend more money then I did loads of years ago, when I bought the HD280(which is decent, but not audiophile material), the answer would have been hell no.
But, I got intrested in high end sound, when I found some flac files that sounded allot better, then the regular Spotify, also some video reviews from LinusTechTips of some headphones got me intrested.
This has led to my first audiophile spec purchase 2 days ago: A HD650. 
I've owned these pair of headphones for 24 hours now, and have already started saving for a dedicated DAC. The Audio-GD - NFB 28 v2015 (balanced) Sabre DAC & preamp .
Once you've caught the audio bug, its hard to lose.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4,308 of 4,655
  Well. talking as someone who is really new to the whole audiophile scene:
If you would have asked me 2 weeks ago if i would ever spend more money then I did loads of years ago, when I bought the HD280(which is decent, but not audiophile material), the answer would have been hell no.
But, I got intrested in high end sound, when I found some flac files that sounded allot better, then the regular Spotify, also some video reviews from LinusTechTips of some headphones got me intrested.
This has led to my first audiophile spec purchase 2 days ago: A HD650. 
I've owned these pair of headphones for 24 hours now, and have already started saving for a dedicated DAC. The Audio-GD - NFB 28 v2015 (balanced) Sabre DAC & preamp .
Once you've caught the audio bug, its hard to lose.

Gratz and welcome to head-fi!
GTFO while you still can!  Your credit will go wayyy down and you'll have to finance a second mortgage for all the purchases you're gonna make!
Also, there isn't really a discernible difference between lossless and 320kbps mp3, so don't become one of those people who can "only" listen to DXD or else the music sounds like crap.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #4,309 of 4,655
  Gratz and welcome to head-fi!
GTFO while you still can!  Your credit will go wayyy down and you'll have to finance a second mortgage for all the purchases you're gonna make!
Also, there isn't really a discernible difference between lossless and 320kbps mp3, so don't become one of those people who can "only" listen to DXD or else the music sounds like crap.

Thanx^_^.  Im not too worried about my credit, since ill probably leave it at NFB-28+HD650. Maybe get a second amplifier in a few years, but that'll be it for like the next 10 years.
When it comes to only listening to DXD, im not sure. I've just started to scratch the surface of nice audio, so it can go either way i guess.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #4,311 of 4,655

Thanx^_^.  Im not too worried about my credit, since ill probably leave it at NFB-28+HD650. Maybe get a second amplifier in a few years, but that'll be it for like the next 10 years.
When it comes to only listening to DXD, im not sure. I've just started to scratch the surface of nice audio, so it can go either way i guess.

We all say "that will be it for [insert time period]" ... Trust me, lying to yourself is never the answer
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #4,312 of 4,655
  I think my music teacher is a audiophile...

He currently uses an AKG K 201 regularly for his listening (not sure how good these are) and has a baller speaker system at his house. That and a collection of CDs and vynals. And a crap ton of rare guitars.

I'm pretty sure he's and audiohphile.

K201 doesn't seem to have ever been a model as far as I can tell.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #4,315 of 4,655
  The PS500's will probably make the best impression on those youngin's. Now if only you had an LCD2 to throw at them...

One of the managers came out today and asked to listen, he liked the PS500's the best, but when he found out he price...well you know what happened.  He did ask to use the iGrado for a while though.  He still had them when I went home.  I leave them at work anyway and they will be there Monday when I get in.  The two other guys are going to get their own iGrados this weekend...

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #4,316 of 4,655
We all say "that will be it for [insert time period]" ... Trust me, lying to yourself is never the answer :D

:joy::joy::joy:. I told myself and my parents I was done with my amp and ex1000 purchase.

Now I'm trying to find ways to hide my next iem purchase :sweat_smile:. Considering it'll probably be 80% of my salary, and my father most probably would be checking my bank account.... I'm screwed ^^

(I'm 16 btw so you can't judge that :joy:)

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #4,317 of 4,655
:joy::joy::joy:. I told myself and my parents I was done with my amp and ex1000 purchase.

Now I'm trying to find ways to hide my next iem purchase :sweat_smile:. Considering it'll probably be 80% of my salary, and my father most probably would be checking my bank account.... I'm screwed ^^

(I'm 16 btw so you can't judge that :joy:)

Sure we can! If we want to however, is another story. You seem fully aware of what you're doing, even though you're 16
wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,318 of 4,655
So sad to hear about someone so young being addicted to this hobby. One thing to look forward to is that the cardboard box that you'll be living in when you're 60 will be outfitted with a stunning collection of headphones.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #4,319 of 4,655
So sad to hear about someone so young being addicted to this hobby. One thing to look forward to is that the cardboard box that you'll be living in when you're 60 will be outfitted with a stunning collection of headphones.

Well who knows he may end up going to MIT for audio engineering or something and end up making lots of $$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back