Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 11, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #4,231 of 4,655
Biggest peeve, when people put on my T50RPs and say, "these suck there's no bass", but don't click in how clear, rich and engaging they are

They are reference, in fact are a slight bit bass heavy with how I have them tuned right now.... *sigh*

Although quality headphones are on the rise

Feb 11, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #4,233 of 4,655
I have a colleague who is kinda into high end audio gear. But he listens to mostly house music and claims to hear way over 20 kHz... rrright. Also he checks actual specs of headphones and if it's only 20 Hz - 20 kHz it's crap for him. Needs to be at least 30 kHz! :D
So I've let him try some of my cans. ATH-M50? Meh. Beyers DT770? Quite good but meh. Superlux HD330? Ohmygod best headphones ever!! Now he tells me he doesn't need any other pair of cans ever again. I guess he's happy :).
My other colleague was kinda content with inears from apple's ipod shuffle. He doesn't really care that much for good sound but I did manage to make him get JVC HA-RX700 and he's happy with those. Better than nothing, right?

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,234 of 4,655
Huh. I don't really like big soundstages -- they feel so uninvolving, like you're in Row G or something.
IMO there's no better feeling that being in a "room" with the singer.

Well, sometimes it sounds like the singer is inside your head.

yup. Also Electronic isn't that much fun with a huge soundstage.

I agree. (#EDMmasterrace)

But it should not be SUPER small soundstage. Just enough to get that piano/violin/whathaveyou a nice feel.
I agree with Donut. My M-80s are fine, though I would like them to be a bit wider. I listen to some really layered electeonic, so having some openness is uber-beneficial.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #4,235 of 4,655
yup. Also Electronic isn't that much fun with a huge soundstage.

Seriously? I rather listen to anything with a huge soundstage than a closed one.... even edm. When you have something with good soundstage and play edm, you get to rediscover the positioning and transitioning of instruments rather than closed soundstage stuffs where it's just.... There.

Besides, there are people put there using hifi systems for EDM :joy:

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #4,236 of 4,655
Let me share my experience of response I got from people when they tried my M40x, note: none of them use any earphone costing more than a couple of dollars, $15 max I guess.

The first response from a Senn CX 180 user was "****, where's the bass", I just did't know what else to tell him. The difference in terms of sound stage, details, clarity, crispness etc. was night and day yet they were like "Bass is most important, if there is no bass then it is useless"

Finally some people who tried commended the purchase. I just put the 'phones on their head and tapped play button ad their eyeballs just came out "Damn these are too good, so clear. Full DJ"

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #4,237 of 4,655
Seriously? I rather listen to anything with a huge soundstage than a closed one.... even edm. When you have something with good soundstage and play edm, you get to rediscover the positioning and transitioning of instruments rather than closed soundstage stuffs where it's just.... There.

Besides, there are people put there using hifi systems for EDM :joy:

Totally agree! EDM with a proper soundstage is amazing!

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #4,238 of 4,655
EDM + huge soundstage? Uhh, it does sound a little unnatural to me, and a little unnecessary as these are merely samples and not actual instruments recorded live with a microphone.

Otherwise, soundstage is good with everything apparently. Been listening to nothing but this Dunu Titan 1 and oh boy they sound amazing with Coldplay. I really hate the channel imbalance on them, though – I think I'm the first one with this problem at the moment but yeah, soundstage is good. I guess you soundstage freaks changed my mind. At the moment I don't really have any cans with a huge soundstage, so whatever it is you guys rave about I can't experience for myself at the moment. Not a classical lover wither, so yeah, I kinda just don't give a s't. Carry on gentlemen.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #4,239 of 4,655
EDM + huge soundstage? Uhh, it does sound a little unnatural to me, and a little unnecessary as these are merely samples and not actual instruments recorded live with a microphone.

Otherwise, soundstage is good with everything apparently. Been listening to nothing but this Dunu Titan 1 and oh boy they sound amazing with Coldplay. I really hate the channel imbalance on them, though – I think I'm the first one with this problem at the moment but yeah, soundstage is good. I guess you soundstage freaks changed my mind. At the moment I don't really have any cans with a huge soundstage, so whatever it is you guys rave about I can't experience for myself at the moment. Not a classical lover wither, so yeah, I kinda just don't give a s't. Carry on gentlemen.

Well it's not that soundstage appears if there is none in the recording. But some raises really do some magic with the synthesis floating all around in space. Some don't...

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #4,241 of 4,655

Well it's not that soundstage appears if there is none in the recording. But some raises really do some magic with the synthesizers* floating all around in space. Some don't...

*FTFY. 
wink.gif

Hmm, now that you think about it, I do know an example: Aphex Twin's "aisatsana". It's got some freaky binaural s't going on in there that I can't quite explain. And that's with IEMs that have a regular-sized 'stage. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #4,244 of 4,655
You can try some binaurals on your open back over ears as well as on ears. While recording of binaurals the recorders are closer to the ears while most open back over-ears have their drivers/source farther away (for binaurals) which will not replicate the soundstage which was recorded. So for binaurals soundstage it will be IEM > on-ears > over ears (all open backs)

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #4,245 of 4,655
  You can try some binaurals on your open back over ears as well as on ears. While recording of binaurals the recorders are closer to the ears while most open back over-ears have their drivers/source farther away (for binaurals) which will not replicate the soundstage which was recorded. So for binaurals soundstage it will be IEM > on-ears > over ears (all open backs)

Also, open-back IEMs? Care to share some examples?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back