Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #2,761 of 4,655
The reason I don't get negative reactions with my denons is because I bring my fiio e07k, and let them listen to their own music with them. They can turn the bass and treble to whatever they want with it (i usually see +2 treble and +8 bass)

This way you still get the good quality, and quantity, and they will finally admit they sound better than beats.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,762 of 4,655
Anybody actually tried the Skullcandy aviators? Listened to them for a while and decided I'd buy a pair for my girlfriend ($40 shipped like new). They're a very well-rounded sound.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,763 of 4,655
Anybody actually tried the Skullcandy aviators? Listened to them for a while and decided I'd buy a pair for my girlfriend ($40 shipped like new). They're a very well-rounded sound.

I have. Hated them. I literally turned down a free pair. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,764 of 4,655
The 3+ yr old px100 I tried sounded pretty veiled and bassy. I liked my koss ksc-75 a little more but they'd likely be good complimentary budget headphones.

My understanding is that the older PX100 is better than the PX100II. But yeah, I like my ksc75's much better than the PX100II's. And surprisingly I am liking these AKG K403's even more - stronger bass, and the mids are more up front resulting in a very full, balanced and natural sound to my ears. Maybe it's just the signature for me, but I'm impressed. It doesn't hurt that I found them for $20 at Winners here in Canada (in comparison, the KSC75's are usually $30 here).

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #2,765 of 4,655
Apr 22, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #2,766 of 4,655

They just sounded like a mess. Like I was listening to them through a pillow. And I don't know who decided those goofy triangular earpads were a good idea, because they just made the things feel awkward as hell on my head. I didn't like them at all. Aviators or the Navigators. 

I've tried a bunch of the big box "fashion" headphones, and the good ones (to my ears) are the DNA On-Ear, Beats Mixr, and the Sol Republic v12. The v12 are worthless if you wear glasses, though, and between the other two it's basically a matter of what you listen to. The DNA are more all around and the Mixr are excellent for hip hop and electronic. I have really fond memories of them both.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2,767 of 4,655
They just sounded like a mess. Like I was listening to them through a pillow. And I don't know who decided those goofy triangular earpads were a good idea, because they just made the things feel awkward as hell on my head. I didn't like them at all. Aviators or the Navigators. 

I've tried a bunch of the big box "fashion" headphones, and the good ones (to my ears) are the DNA On-Ear, Beats Mixr, and the Sol Republic v12. The v12 are worthless if you wear glasses, though, and between the other two it's basically a matter of what you listen to. The DNA are more all around and the Mixr are excellent for hip hop and electronic. I have really fond memories of them both.

I agree with your view on the Mixr and DNA. The Navigators are HORRIBLE. I really liked the Aviators and think they'd be a better all-rounder than the DNA. The pads seemed comfortable to me.

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,768 of 4,655
I agree with your view on the Mixr and DNA. The Navigators are HORRIBLE. I really liked the Aviators and think they'd be a better all-rounder than the DNA. The pads seemed comfortable to me.

WAIT. Dangit, I'm sorry guys. I got the Navigator and Aviator backwards. I've only tried the Aviators as a demo pair at Best Buy and I don't really trust those. The Navigators are the ones I listened to off of my own device.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #2,769 of 4,655
WAIT. Dangit, I'm sorry guys. I got the Navigator and Aviator backwards. I've only tried the Aviators as a demo pair at Best Buy and I don't really trust those. The Navigators are the ones I listened to off of my own device.

Yeah the best buy demos are always crap. The Navigators are SOOO bad.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #2,770 of 4,655
The reason I don't get negative reactions with my denons is because I bring my fiio e07k, and let them listen to their own music with them. They can turn the bass and treble to whatever they want with it (i usually see +2 treble and +8 bass)

This way you still get the good quality, and quantity, and they will finally admit they sound better than beats.

I have. Hated them. I literally turned down a free pair. 

it also helps that denons can thump a bit when nudged depending on the model... I would have sold the free pair, and you're forgetting your favorite big box fashion item... The m-100's! I like my friends 2013 beats studios, and the n-tunes. My favorite fashion cans are n-tunes, m-100's (never heard em. Just seen them in pictures. Such beauty. Puts apple products to shame. HTC one m8 is the only electronic that looks as good as the m-100 imo. The iPhone 5s's looks are worse than my Lumia 925 imo. The HTC one looks better than my 925.) beats studio 2013... Come to think of it, here's the monster products I like. Crystal tears, DNA, n-tunes, and diesl vektr's. And then there is the subject of beautiful cans, and not just fashion headphones... But back on topic!!

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,771 of 4,655
I don't really count the M100s as a "big box" item considering they're only available at Brookstone. You're not gonna find them at your average mall or in Wal-Mart and Best Buy. Stylish, yes. Big box? No. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,772 of 4,655
Picked up a pair of HE-400's a few months ago, and I've gotten some pretty great reactions. I'll generally throw on some tunes that I think the person might like, and then just wait for a giant smile to creep across their face. Works every time. That's when I have them listen to something they're familiar with, and then they really can't believe what they're hearing. Nine times out of ten I do this un-amped (as I currently don't own a battery-powered amp), but the reactions are even better when being run off of my O2/ODAC combo.

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #2,773 of 4,655
The topic of this thread goess off and off, off and off, off and off..

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2,775 of 4,655
This time around I was smart I haven't told my parents how much I paid for my Beyer dynamic T90 as I know they would yell at me while chasing me with a broom handle, Tho I didn't pay the MRSP for it buy i paid $430 after selling my DT880 premiums that I had before. I told my self I was never gonna pay more then 200 for headphones then I went up and did it,All because I wondered about the T-90's, which I do enjoy very much over the DT880's I had.  I might end up with a tube amp anyway even tho I told my self no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back