Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,672 of 4,655
Why would someone buy a can just massage your head and get a reaction from people, that is stupid. You buy a can because you like the sound signature with the music you listen to. You said you didn't want to sacrifice mids and highs, well the SZ does sacrifice mids and highs, a lot

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,674 of 4,655
A coworker of mine came by the other day to tweak my new computer for me (he built it) and while he was over I played him some music starting with my desktop rig and then switching to my HD 650's.  He was really impressed, I don't think he had realized before that visit how good some things can sound.  I can quote him as saying months ago that "Bose makes some of the best headphones".  I made no attempt to argue with him or try to explain that it could be sooo much "better".  He left with some of my music I let him borrow and I doubt any intentions to buy new headphones (but maybe speakers).  However he was raving about the sound at work to some of our co-workers.  You can't win them all and I think his favorite part was hearing the vinyl.

sources - PC thru gungnir and a Pro-ject 9.1 thru a vincent audio PH8
headamp preamp  Ray Samuels Audio Apache
cans HD 650's 
desktop speakers Magnepan Mini Maggies powered by an Emotiva amp

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,675 of 4,655
Why would someone buy a can just massage your head and get a reaction from people, that is stupid. You buy a can because you like the sound signature with the music you listen to. You said you didn't want to sacrifice mids and highs, well the SZ does sacrifice mids and highs, a lot
some mids and treble, but not all... Again, if I find the 55's enjoyable, then the sz1000's most likely will be great.... Oh, and I like the 55's for dubstrp and rap. Dubstep is 45% of my library.... And... No. I won't buy the skull crushers. That would be a downgrade from the JVC's, not an upgrade...

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #2,676 of 4,655
some mids and treble, but not all... Again, if I find the 55's enjoyable, then the sz1000's most likely will be great.... Oh, and I like the 55's for dubstrp and rap. Dubstep is 45% of my library.... And... No. I won't buy the skull crushers. That would be a downgrade from the JVC's, not an upgrade...

It's not some but quite a lot of detail IMO is lost in comparison to even some much cheaper cans like my $69 Takstars sound more coherent, clear, less congested in the mids and highs

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #2,677 of 4,655
It's not some but quite a lot of detail IMO is lost in comparison to even some much cheaper cans like my $69 Takstars sound more coherent, clear, less congested in the mids and highs

That was a impression to the one I got when I listened to the SZ2000 too, both with my normal listening conditions and with +12 on the 30Hz slider on my DX50 in my local Jaben.

Gigantic low-end but terrible mids and highs. This was with my typical song I use to audition basshead cans. I use it because of the unique blend of violin and synths which allows me to somewhat analyze how realistic the violin sounds along with the typical analysis. The song just sounded muffled, as if there was a veil over the mids and highs. The violin especially sounded like it was being played in a tiny closet. 

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #2,678 of 4,655
I got another reaction from a friend, took the TH600 over with my Fiio X3 to a friends and put on some Freeze - Electricity. He was quite surprised at how good and clear it sounded, I quote "holy **** the sound is all around my head, tripppy..." "The bass is like I'm right there at a festival or club man". When he heard the price tag he almost fell off his chair, said no way he'd pay that kind of coin em, interested however into looking at $300-400 range - look forward to helping him here. Currently he listens mostly on Sennheiser 419's.

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #2,679 of 4,655
have you tried the skull crushers?

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2,680 of 4,655
no... Nor do I want to. I'll stick to k240's for listening and JVC's for head humping

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #2,681 of 4,655
Apr 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,682 of 4,655
-_-

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,683 of 4,655
Apr 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #2,684 of 4,655
Too cheap, bad reviews, etc. I'm just not even going to bother with them.

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2,685 of 4,655

Skullcandy Crushers?

Yeah, I got em - they're excellent - a lot of fun - on max bass they literally vibrate on your head - they are unique.

I own many high end cans like Fostex th900, Audeze LCD-X etc, but still have a place in my collection for the skullcandy crusher - I love these cans 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back