Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 31, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #2,416 of 4,655
Sorry for being On-Topic again (?) but at least I think I did something good these days :p

I usually let my friends to listen to my rig (Nothing awesome, but better than every average casual listener rig ( Brainwavz M3 + Cowon D3 ) and one of my friends the first time that he listened to it was like "Wow, why this sounds like HD?" and was pretty surprised. He just uses cheap earbuds because he says that they are always going to break, but after listening again to my IEM´s he also said "Damn, now I hate my earbuds, they sound like damn trash" and "It´s like everything is together, with your headphones I can hear everything separated", and I finally convinced him today to buy a pair of Philips SHE-3590 that were at 8 dollars at a local store near here, nothing awesome, but at least he is going to stop getting deaf for the lack of isolation :D

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,417 of 4,655
True, but at least I have the balls to speak my mind!

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #2,420 of 4,655
  Sorry for being On-Topic again (?) but at least I think I did something good these days :p

I usually let my friends to listen to my rig (Nothing awesome, but better than every average casual listener rig ( Brainwavz M3 + Cowon D3 ) and one of my friends the first time that he listened to it was like "Wow, why this sounds like HD?" and was pretty surprised. He just uses cheap earbuds because he says that they are always going to break, but after listening again to my IEM´s he also said "Damn, now I hate my earbuds, they sound like damn trash" and "It´s like everything is together, with your headphones I can hear everything separated", and I finally convinced him today to buy a pair of Philips SHE-3590 that were at 8 dollars at a local store near here, nothing awesome, but at least he is going to stop getting deaf for the lack of isolation :D

Don't apologize for putting a thread back on-topic 
tongue.gif

It's good that you managed to convert a friend, even if he is just starting his journey. Every journey starts with the first step after all!

Anyways, I guess this is a non-DiY-phile reaction to DiY which sort of counts. I went to a hardware store to get some glue solvent yesterday as I took apart the Pickering OA-7 in preparation for a driver transplant and the pads and baffles were glued together. The guy was extremely confused as to why I took them apart and then stated that the pads were unrecoverable, but I stubbornly went ahead and treated them anyways. I did get results, but now the colours are not mismatched...

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #2,421 of 4,655
This is a genuine, not snarky or snippy, friendly bit of advice: Just because it's in your mind doesn't mean it should come out of your mouth.
meh, better out than in!!... Of course that piece of advice was made for farts...

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,423 of 4,655
If we are considering headphones an expensive hobby, then be glad that's the most expensive hobby you have 0_o haha

Seriously though...

Haha, definitely. I've dropped a good chunk of change more into my tattoos...

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,424 of 4,655
If we are considering headphones an expensive hobby, then be glad that's the most expensive hobby you have 0_o haha

Seriously though...

Could be worse. You could be into DSLR + lenses; or motorcycles; or, heaven forbid, cars.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,428 of 4,655
Me too, but gotta live a little ,right? Photography was a late hobby. As bad as I'd like a 5d, d800, an effing hasselblad!!! I ended with a d7000. Now lenses.... I have to stay miles from the closet camera store... Too much temptation.

I guess you wouldn't want to know the links of any of the DSLR forums then. I have one burnt right into my head because it used to be my dad's homepage for what seemed like forever and he was always on it.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,429 of 4,655
I guess you wouldn't want to know the links of any of the DSLR forums then. I have one burnt right into my head because it used to be my dad's homepage for what seemed like forever and he was always on it.

I like to follow jaredpolin and digital rev on YouTube. I'm a flickr creeper too. Only other forum I ever been on was evom and those guys SUCK!! Triple ultra megatron suck

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #2,430 of 4,655
Right, I'm PMing you as we're going wayyyyyy off topic now.

Back on-topic now:

Friend: "How many headphones will you own once [the TDS-5/5M, Pickering OA-7 and Fender vintage headphones] come? Five?"
Me: "Hmm...one, two...*counts headphones*...seven..."
Friend: "Why do you even need that much?"
Me: "Oh, that's right; it was nine including the Sportapro."
Friend: "You're insane. Absolutely insane."
Me: "I know."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back