Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #1,576 of 4,655

I poked my head in there. Holy crap it's like the headphones hold them in their arms and rock them to sleep at night. 

It's the other way around...I hold the Mikros in my arms and rock them until we fall sleep. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,577 of 4,655
The Mikros 90 aren't actually bad for on-ears and are definitely more neutral than its competitors from B&W, etc., but the level of fanaticism in that thread is cult-like at times. There's a couple of people who've bought more than three pairs on a rumor that ML was discontinuing the model, just to ensure they'd be able to experience them for a long time.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,578 of 4,655

It's the other way around...I hold the Mikros in my arms and rock them until we fall sleep. 

Taking the word "babying" to a whole new level. 
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,579 of 4,655
  The Mikros 90 aren't actually bad for on-ears and are definitely more neutral than its competitors from B&W, etc., but the level of fanaticism in that thread is cult-like at times. There's a couple of people who've bought more than three pairs on a rumor that ML was discontinuing the model, just to ensure they'd be able to experience them for a long time.

Did you actually own them, or did you hear them at a store?   I think I remember you from the beginning of the thread. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,580 of 4,655
Mar 4, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #1,581 of 4,655
Must try them at some point...

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,582 of 4,655

Did you actually own them, or did you hear them at a store?   I think I remember you from the beginning of the thread. 

I've been in the thread a couple times. I briefly had a pair, just because I had to see what all the fuss was about. I do admit they're good, especially at the discounted price point that they're going for right now, but you have to admit that the hype gets a little out of hand sometimes in the thread.

Let's just say they're no HE-6 killers, though pataburd and Lorspeaker might claim such things at times.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,583 of 4,655

I've been in the thread a couple times. I briefly had a pair, just because I had to see what all the fuss was about. I do admit they're good, especially at the discounted price point that they're going for right now, but you have to admit that the hype gets a little out of hand sometimes in the thread.

Let's just say they're no HE-6 killers, though pataburd and Lorspeaker might claim such things at times.

They are really, really good - better than most of the portable I've heard.  They are worth the original $300,  and they are a steal at the current prices.  Having said that, I can't say that they are HE6 killers.  I certainly don't think they can touch my HD800 and my T5p...but they can compete in the same league as the HD650, AKG701, DT880.   In other words, they are a portable that can go up against most full-sized, mid-fi cans (up to a point, since the soundstage of a closed portable will always have limitations).

As far as the hype -- well, most of the posters are just having fun.  Some of them are enthusiastic about modding the cans...and others are just happy because they found something really good for only a few dollars. 

Lorspeaker and pataburd really think the Mikros is better than some TOTL cans.   Who are we to question their ears?   I believe they are being honest with their assessments -- I know the Mikros is good enough so I don't find their claims unbelievable. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,584 of 4,655

I'll say it then: they [figuratively] killed my HE-6 and, according to Lors, the T1.
R.I.P.
Used the funds from the sale of my HE-6 to buy two more pairs of Mikros 90 (to mod), two SS amps to match with the MLs and a custom UPOCC silver cable.
Have you heard a modded pair, rigged well?  No?  Then I don't see a basis for your last comment.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,586 of 4,655
  I'll say it then: they [figuratively] killed my HE-6 and, according to Lors, the T1.
R.I.P.
Used the funds from the sale of my HE-6 to buy two more pairs of Mikros 90 (to mod), two SS amps to match with the MLs and a custom UPOCC silver cable.
Have you heard a modded pair, rigged well?  No?  Then I don't see a basis for your last comment.

I didn't mean to start a fight; to each his own. If you really like the M90 more than the HE-6, that's perfectly fine. I had my M90 before all the extensive modding that's been happening of late took place, so I never participated there. However, I have put it to test on a few high-end rigs and my personal opinion of the can still stands.

The problems I was trying to get at arise when newcomers to the thread get the impression that the Mikros 90 is absolutely TOTL for anyone's ears, which could easily be believed from the enthusiasm of those on the thread. There's just not enough activity of milder opinions in the M90 thread to balance out those like you and Lorspeaker, which is a common challenge with hype train threads. It's nobody's fault, but the information presented there casts the M90 in a much more universally positive light than what most of Head-Fi would conclude upon listening to them.

Again, I apologize if you took personal offense to what I said earlier. My initial posts in here were worded a little more harshly than they should've been. I understand that everyone's hearing is subjective and that an inexpensive headphone can truly be a world-beater to a certain set of ears.

Maybe we should get back on topic before Currawong comes and shuts us down. If anybody wants to discuss my personal experiences with the M90 further, PM me and I'd be glad to talk.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #1,587 of 4,655
R.I.P.

I'm kinda curious how many headphones out there couldn't, theoretically, be modded all to hell to sound even better than they do.

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,588 of 4,655

I'm kinda curious how many headphones out there couldn't, theoretically, be modded all to hell to sound even better than they do.

There are a few that can be successfully modded (the old Denons, the Fostex...a couple here and there).    The HE6 cannot be modded to my knowledge.  The Hifiman line in general is limited to pad rolling, and that's about it (well, and cable changes).

Besides, the modding craze is a recent development that just added more fuel to the hype fire in the Mikros thread.   Most people loved their Mikros 90s before someone decided to open them up to see what was inside.

I'm not going to mod my pair since they sound perfect to me in their stock form.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,590 of 4,655
  well let him try the lcd-2 :)
Should blow his pants off...

haha well I now live in a different state than him, but I'm sure if he visited that he would be left standing in his boxers
smily_headphones1.gif
. At the very least he has a thing for trendy stuff that costs a lot, even if he can't afford it lol. If I wanted to really rattle someones head though
L3000.gif
, then I'd go for the denons, when you run those through any kind of amp they physically vibrate on your head like mini subwoofers if you play the right songs. Thats for those stubborn people who don't really care much for overall sound quality and just want that bass
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back