Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Mar 3, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #1,562 of 4,655

It's actually been done quite a few times, chiefly with A/V cables. There's never a difference in anything but durability. That's one thing I like about the V-MODA cable, it's kevlar so I know I won't snap it, but that's the only benefit. 

I mean, obviously all headphones have their own signature, but to my eyes it's like expensive televisions. They don't have the exact same picture, but if you sit everyone in front of a big wall of them, they won't all pick the same on that they think looks best. In addition, buying a 4K capable television (the equivalent of $2,000 planar magnetic headphones) in order to watch Netflix and broadcast television is pointless anyway.

Maybe those Audeze LCD-3's are capable of higher fidelity, clearer sound. They probably are. But unless you're listening to a completely lossless, PERFECTLY produced piece of audio with a flawless DAC/AMP combination, first of all you won't even be sending anything through those speakers that warrants all the hardware. Additionally, there's a limit to how much fidelity the ear can differentiate anyway. 

Like I said, I would love to do a blind test of a couple dozen headphone types of the same ilk (closed vs closed, open vs open) and see just how much of a difference one can hear if one isn't told that this one cost $300 and this one cost $3000.

I think it's the opposite.  Get your average Jane without hearing damage and get them to blind test the latest flagship from Beyerdynamic or whatever and their previous flagship.  I have reason to believe the average Jane will immediately notice the superiority of the latest generation flagships.  If average Jane picks it up...for aficionado's the difference is a big one.

Which worries me when some people claim, I'll give an example that occurs here often, that the T1 is no better than the former flagships.  Frankly I trust average Jane much more than experienced head-fier Joe.  The key here is overall articulation of the drivers, for me there is a clear divide in this specific area.  Not even measurements work here, and I find the only correlating factor for this divide is market pricing.

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,563 of 4,655

Sorry for the meta post, where in the thread was this claimed? I'm having trouble finding it.

(Not trying to be rude or sarcastic)

It wasn't, I was just using it as an example in response a comment I pasted below. Just at the point even in the same price bracket (open vs open) you can hear differences, let alone $300 vs $3000.

quote:
Like I said, I would love to do a blind test of a couple dozen headphone types of the same ilk (closed vs closed, open vs open) and see just how much of a difference one can hear if one isn't told that this one cost $300 and this one cost $3000.[/quote]

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,566 of 4,655
Tell him it's either Stax sr 009, sennheiser Orpheus or perhaps Sony R10.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,567 of 4,655
Thanks, maybe he'll stop asking me now! 
tongue.gif

Damn, those headphones are expensive. And I thought the LCD-2's were costly!

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #1,568 of 4,655
You could always confuse the everloving **** out of him and tell him it's something you can get at Best Buy like the Sol Republic or UE6000's but "no one is willing to admit that because they're considered too mainstream". 

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,570 of 4,655
Showed headphones to my friends cousin :3

His face:
http://m.memegenerator.net/instance/45038403

I just accepted the fact that he wouldnt care about anything but the bass so i showed him rah! By dj pyro

Hawaii bad boy was right about the bass in that song o.o

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,571 of 4,655
I think I'm gonna have a noob reaction when I buy me something more than the Sennheiser HD201's. But they are a good start because I lived on some really crap headphones (but not iPhone earbud things at least, either in-ears or on-the-ear ones :D )

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #1,572 of 4,655
  You could always confuse the everloving **** out of him and tell him it's something you can get at Best Buy like the Sol Republic or UE6000's but "no one is willing to admit that because they're considered too mainstream". 

Just imagine the look on a Best Buy employee's face if you asked them where the Audeze LCD-2's are.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #1,573 of 4,655

There's a subset of people here on Head-Fi who think the Martin Logan Mikros 90 is God's gift to the world, so you could make that claim and have a base to back it up. Their thread expands by about ten pages a day; it's actually one of the most active corners of this community.

Mar 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,574 of 4,655

There's a subset of people here on Head-Fi who think the Martin Logan Mikros 90 is God's gift to the world, so you could make that claim and have a base to back it up. Their thread expands by about ten pages a day; it's actually one of the most active corners of this community.

I poked my head in there. Holy crap it's like the headphones hold them in their arms and rock them to sleep at night. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,575 of 4,655

Woah. I'd never looked into them until you just mentioned it..

They look nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back