Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Feb 28, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #1,516 of 4,655
A couple years back when I got my first audiophile taste of headphones in the form of the Beyerdynamic dt 990 32 ohm version, my good friend decided to get one of the original versions of beats (whatever used to be the best model they had that costs like 300 bucks or so). At that point I already did my research on head-fi, been using them for a good few months and essentially knew why they were infinitely better than what he got for roughly the same exact money. So one day he brought his beats over and I wanted to give them a try just to see why on earth people liked them so much/why people on head-fi hated them so much lol. So he tried my dt 990's too. Also this was before I understood the concept of using an amp and dac, so this was done straight out of the laptop.

Now I was thinking the entire time that he was quietly listening to a song or two on my pair that he's going to think it sounds so ****ing awesome and clear and dynamic and with great bass, and think that 300 dollars on his beats was totally wasted. Well that totally did not happen lol. He said yea they kinda sound more clear and I can hear more instruments and separation between them, but the bass kinda is lacking and I dont feel the sound on my head. I think I had the same emotional reaction on the inside as if someone told me they dont want to ever see me again lol. Later on I agreed on the bass part, which of course is partly due to the lack of amp or dac to give it that extra power (my laptop's amp is worse than an ipod classic, but the dac is pretty good like on a macbook).

My reaction to hearing beats for the first time ever, was interesting to say the least. The first thing that stood out was obviously the super overly boomy bass, like I know thats been said a lot, but I mean like if you broke down the sounds I was hearing into some kind of graph it would be bass:_________________________________  mids: __________________ highs: ___
but it made drums vibrate the headphones and my friend liked that (we both drum, so its a focus), literally nothing else besides that fact was worth the 300 bucks for him. the bass. He also liked things that are popular, so even though theres other headphones that have better bass with the same feeling he likes, beats were popular, so he went with that.

He doesnt know that at this point I have LCD 2 and Burson soloist sl and Schiit uberfrost, and those are the upgrades to the denon d5000 haha. but hey to me its worth every bit and thensome.
It was definitely interesting learning that even if something sounds fantastic to them and they are willing to spend the money, sometimes they just want the popular item that meets a simple criteria. oh well.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,518 of 4,655
- Experience:

Until june 2013 I used to listen to music on a 'monster jamz' headphones directly from my iPhone or mac. Then I saw on a blog a review of the heir audio 4.Ai and decided to try them.
(and that's how I discovered head-fi)
Didn't like the sound so much but still used them until December 2013. At that moment I told myself screw it man , let's see how music can sound. 
And that's me 3 months later : Hifiman HE-500 + schiit Lyr , magni , modi , soon the bifrost. And now i'm discovering tube rolling ,..currently I have a matched pair of Telefunken ECC88 and Dario Miniwatt E188CC.
Probably the best thing I've ever bought , definitively worth every penny.

- People around me:
For a 21 year old student  this setup isn't bad...I live most time on a campus and everyone said that I was crazy to spend so much.. until they hear by themself. Now I have friends who ask to come in my room to listen a little bit (doesn't work on girls .. can't have everything) :D 
And even with my limited experience , I've also had several friends who asked me what to buy to have better sound than their apple earphone (budget usually around 100-200$)
Even my mom after she listened for the first time never asked me again why I have spent so much (well....she still think it 'only' cost 400$).

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,519 of 4,655
  A couple years back when I got my first audiophile taste of headphones in the form of the Beyerdynamic dt 990 32 ohm version, my good friend decided to get one of the original versions of beats (whatever used to be the best model they had that costs like 300 bucks or so). At that point I already did my research on head-fi, been using them for a good few months and essentially knew why they were infinitely better than what he got for roughly the same exact money. So one day he brought his beats over and I wanted to give them a try just to see why on earth people liked them so much/why people on head-fi hated them so much lol. So he tried my dt 990's too. Also this was before I understood the concept of using an amp and dac, so this was done straight out of the laptop.

Now I was thinking the entire time that he was quietly listening to a song or two on my pair that he's going to think it sounds so ****ing awesome and clear and dynamic and with great bass, and think that 300 dollars on his beats was totally wasted. Well that totally did not happen lol. He said yea they kinda sound more clear and I can hear more instruments and separation between them, but the bass kinda is lacking and I dont feel the sound on my head. I think I had the same emotional reaction on the inside as if someone told me they dont want to ever see me again lol. Later on I agreed on the bass part, which of course is partly due to the lack of amp or dac to give it that extra power (my laptop's amp is worse than an ipod classic, but the dac is pretty good like on a macbook).

My reaction to hearing beats for the first time ever, was interesting to say the least. The first thing that stood out was obviously the super overly boomy bass, like I know thats been said a lot, but I mean like if you broke down the sounds I was hearing into some kind of graph it would be bass:_________________________________  mids: __________________ highs: ___
but it made drums vibrate the headphones and my friend liked that (we both drum, so its a focus), literally nothing else besides that fact was worth the 300 bucks for him. the bass. He also liked things that are popular, so even though theres other headphones that have better bass with the same feeling he likes, beats were popular, so he went with that.

He doesnt know that at this point I have LCD 2 and Burson soloist sl and Schiit uberfrost, and those are the upgrades to the denon d5000 haha. but hey to me its worth every bit and thensome.
It was definitely interesting learning that even if something sounds fantastic to them and they are willing to spend the money, sometimes they just want the popular item that meets a simple criteria. oh well.

well let him try the lcd-2 :)
Should blow his pants off...

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,522 of 4,655
So your yearly budget for head-fi toys is $1500
cool.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,524 of 4,655
Believe me, friends being underwhelmed is common throughout the audio hobby, been that way forever.  At 1st it used to bother me, but I've been over it for a long time.  You think you get weird reactions from showing yr expensive headphones?  Wait'll you have a wall of expensive audio toys (a full system) and yr friends and family all think yr a little nuts!  My favorite reaction is when I tell them that the cartridge on my $3000 turntable cost another $1400!!  "you paid that much for a needle!!??":wink:

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,525 of 4,655
or when you finally find that one CD or record that you can't find anywhere else and you are willing to pay a lot of money for so as not to have to download it off of i tunes or the like.  If you can even find it, case in point, Grace Potter Original Soul I couldn't find it anywhere and when I saw a used copy on Amazon for 100$ I didn't bat an eye, that's a cd it gets even worse with vinyl

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #1,526 of 4,655
  Believe me, friends being underwhelmed is common throughout the audio hobby, been that way forever.  At 1st it used to bother me, but I've been over it for a long time.  You think you get weird reactions from showing yr expensive headphones?  Wait'll you have a wall of expensive audio toys (a full system) and yr friends and family all think yr a little nuts!  My favorite reaction is when I tell them that the cartridge on my $3000 turntable cost another $1400!!  "you paid that much for a needle!!??":wink:

You don't say.. I kinda take it more chill now.. People don't really care much, though it's quite funny to show them the Stax Sigma. It is really an ugly headphone/earspeaker.

HE-500 on emotiva with 10 dB bass boost. That should satisfy anyone and rattle their skulls, I kinda feel like  trying that right now..

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,528 of 4,655
The empiricists who insist that what is measured is what is all that is there and our ears are subjective and lie to us, should read this thread and consider.

Most people when having a good pair of hps placed on their heads, won't hear the difference or will ask "So are these better than Beats?"

Meaning that they cannot hear the difference.

Thus it is likely that some headphone enthusiasts cannot hear what other headphone enthusiasts can hear.

Such as burn-in improvement, etal...

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,529 of 4,655

I've actually seen more than one instance of someone trying the Audeze's and feeling underwhelmed by them. More so when they found out what the price was. 

At this point I'm not very surprised when non-headphone enthusiasts listen to relatively balanced headphones and aren't satisfied with them.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,530 of 4,655
  At this point I'm not very surprised when non-headphone enthusiasts listen to relatively balanced headphones and aren't satisfied with them.

And it bugs me that people say they're "wrong". Like to be a headphone enthusiast means your tastes must conform to certain criteria. It's like saying in order to be a film fan you have to prefer certain genres, or to be a beer aficionado means liking certain styles. Screw that. I don't want balanced headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back