Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Oct 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #47 of 36,055
Is the general house sound for Noble Audio something that's more geared towards warm or bassy signature?

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #49 of 36,055
Another question about the difference between the 8C and the Merlin.

I'm in the market for a new CIEM and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Merlin, but it's going to be my only CIEM for at least a couple years, so I don't want to have the want to upgrade present.

I narrowed it down to the Merlin due to the praise for the highs and mids, while having a real rumbling sub-bass even without using an amp.

Your comments about the 8C seem interesting, but I'm not too sure about the difference between the Merlin's sub-bass and the 8C's sub-bass.

I think I'm interested in sub-bass, but is the bass of the 8C mostly mid-bass? And if so, are the other qualities of it worth trading sub for mid bass?

Also, recently UM seems to have a 16-18 week lead time, so just wondering if in the short and long run the 8C might be the better choice.

It will be used for all genres, but especially hip-hop, R&B, piano, and orchestra. Hence the want for bass as well as clarity.

I may get a nice dac or amp later, but usage is going to be mostly straight from an iPhone or ipad for the most part. (which is why the Roxanne may be out)

Does anyone who has heard the 8C and Merlin have an opinion on this? (experience with the 8.A will also not be discounted)

I'm half looking for a reason not to get the Merlin and have to wait 4~5 months, but it seems to be one of the best choices for lots of bass without sacrificing clarity.

(I would consider myself a basshead, but don't want to sacrifice everything else for a bit more rumble)

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #52 of 36,055

I'm in the market for a new CIEM and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Merlin, but it's going to be my only CIEM for at least a couple years, so I don't want to have the want to upgrade present.

I narrowed it down to the Merlin due to the praise for the highs and mids, while having a real rumbling sub-bass even without using an amp.

Your comments about the 8C seem interesting, but I'm not too sure about the difference between the Merlin's sub-bass and the 8C's sub-bass.

I think I'm interested in sub-bass, but is the bass of the 8C mostly mid-bass? And if so, are the other qualities of it worth trading sub for mid bass?

Also, recently UM seems to have a 16-18 week lead time, so just wondering if in the short and long run the 8C might be the better choice.

It will be used for all genres, but especially hip-hop, R&B, piano, and orchestra. Hence the want for bass as well as clarity.

I may get a nice dac or amp later, but usage is going to be mostly straight from an iPhone or ipad for the most part. (which is why the Roxanne may be out)

Does anyone who has heard the 8C and Merlin have an opinion on this? (experience with the 8.A will also not be discounted)

I'm half looking for a reason not to get the Merlin and have to wait 4~5 months, but it seems to be one of the best choices for lots of bass without sacrificing clarity.

(I would consider myself a basshead, but don't want to sacrifice everything else for a bit more rumble)

I have the 8As and had listened to the merlin demos before I made my purchase.

I know the demos will not give a totally true signature of the custom but it does give a flavour of the experiance I am sure. In my opinion the bass from the 8As is more solid and impactful and, surprisingly to me, has more 'slam' if I can put it like that .

The bass I am refering to is sub bass rather than mid bass. Also I found the merlin highs to be slightly tinny compared to the 8As. On mids the merlin doesn't compete I feel.

I hope this helps but perhaps others can back this up or give you other personal impressions.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #53 of 36,055
I was surprised and delighted this morning when I found out the Wizard is back.  My first and only CIEMs are my 4.As, which I love.  Maybe, if I'm able to scrape the money together, I'll get a second set from Noble.  Great review as always, 86.  However, due to the subjectivity of perception and my lack of imagination, I'd really love to be able to hear how a couple Noble models compare to what I'm familiar with.  The silicone option has me intrigued, as well.  As far as aesthetics, though Noble may not have all of the options for faceplate materials/designs (i.e. the wood choices), I think they kept the best ones.  Plus, they added purple heart (which I may have suggested/requested last year 
wink_face.gif
)!

Welcome back, Wizard!

Oct 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #54 of 36,055
I hate IEM 5.0 because of sibilance ... wizard didn't good job with this iem  ... 

I haven't listened to the 5.0 so have no idea and nobody bats 1000 for matching every consumer's needs. I haven't heard that the 5.0 was sibilant, just that it wasn't an extra bass monster. I hear the Tzar 90 was a great value in a warmer sound. 
My 5.0 was the anti-sibilant iem, very smooth. And the bass boost not strong, much less than the Fitear 335 for instance. A quite balanced and competent iem overall.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #55 of 36,055

8C is definitely not just midbass. In fact it's got excellent sub bass extension, probably the best I've experienced. It does have a little more midbass than something like a Westone ES5, but it's not excessive at all imho. I liked it on the 8.A but I cold see how someone might find it a bit much, but on the 8C it seems like the type of thing were any basshead would love it. Seriously, it's really good.

Also, does Noble Audio offer a choice of socket type?
Recessed sockets seem a little sturdier... (or would it be better to just send support a mail?)

No recessed socket option. I've never had an issue with standard sockets. I consider them only slightly helpful, maybe if you are extremely hard on your gear. Most people don't treat expensive custom IEMs that way.

I was surprised and delighted this morning when I found out the Wizard is back.  My first and only CIEMs are my 4.As, which I love.  Maybe, if I'm able to scrape the money together, I'll get a second set from Noble.  Great review as always, 86.  However, due to the subjectivity of perception and my lack of imagination, I'd really love to be able to hear how a couple Noble models compare to what I'm familiar with.  The silicone option has me intrigued, as well.  As far as aesthetics, though Noble may not have all of the options for faceplate materials/designs (i.e. the wood choices), I think they kept the best ones.  Plus, they added purple heart (which I may have suggested/requested last year 
wink_face.gif
)!

Welcome back, Wizard!

What are you familiar with? Maybe I can help more. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #57 of 36,055
8C is definitely not just midbass. In fact it's got excellent sub bass extension, probably the best I've experienced. It does have a little more midbass than something like a Westone ES5, but it's not excessive at all imho. I liked it on the 8.A but I cold see how someone might find it a bit much, but on the 8C it seems like the type of thing were any basshead would love it. Seriously, it's really good.

No recessed socket option. I've never had an issue with standard sockets. I consider them only slightly helpful, maybe if you are extremely hard on your gear. Most people don't treat expensive custom IEMs that way.

What are you familiar with? Maybe I can help more. 

That sounds (extremely) enticing. How do the 8C/8.A perform directly from a source like the iPhone? I have never owned a portable amp and don't plan to start soon, but might use one at home, although I don't want to have to rely on one to get my target sound. Just as something to take it that one notch higher in quality.

Are they able to get deep lows and clear highs even without a separate amp?

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #58 of 36,055
There is still a 5.0 thread for talk of those. I posted about tips and sibilance in that thread. The answer is it's all about tips and fit and insertion, not about the iem itself.
As for Noble, the fact that they offer a five driver in silicone is pretty great, and they haven't even announced what they are doing for universals yet!

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #59 of 36,055
That sounds (extremely) enticing. How do the 8C/8.A perform directly from a source like the iPhone? I have never owned a portable amp and don't plan to start soon, but might use one at home, although I don't want to have to rely on one to get my target sound. Just as something to take it that one notch higher in quality.

They are definitely listenable. In my view, when using a more basic source like a Sansa Clip variant or an iPhone etc, it's definitely preferable to have a smooth top end rather than a hyper detailed/forward/bright sound. That will immediately highlight the flaws and shortcomings of the player. But an IEM voiced for a smoother presentation will help cover that up to some extent, or at least make it more tolerable. 

So yes, you'll still enjoy them, still get deep bass, clean mids, extended highs. You just won't hear all they are capable of until you use something better. If that's all you ever plan to use them with, I'd say maybe look at the 5C as a cheaper alternative. But if you plan to use them on a nicer system in the future, maybe a desktop rig, then it will be worth it to go to the top. You could keep the simple DAP/phone experience for portable use, but still get the greater experience at home. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #60 of 36,055

If you are getting CIEMs, you might want to grab a better source. Yes, my 8.A sounds pretty good straight from my phone or my laptop but plugging them into the (relatively cheap) Ibasso DX50 improves EVERYTHING. Details, soundstage, bass impact... everything. And it's still a very portable one-box solution. 

I used to have the Merlin, but due to a very, very long and very unpleasant experience with UM (9 months and I had to involve the police) I cannot recommend them. Others seem to be pleased with them though, YMMV. Sonically, the 8.A beats the Merlin in every way possible, unless you prefer a more aggressive up-front, in-your-face almost Grado-like presentation. I babbled about the 8.A here and even against the almighty K10 they still hold their own. Judging by Project86's review, the 8C looks like an improved 8.A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back