Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 7, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #35,986 of 36,066
Any lovely people attended CanJam Singapore and get ear time with Apollo? :)

Apr 7, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #35,988 of 36,066
How would you compare it to Ronin?
I was looking forward to a new IEM with bass quality of Ragnar, bass quantity of Kublai Khan, mids of Sultan, treble of Ronin, and technicalities of the first and last one. But Onyx has a quite different mix of features though and when compared to Ronin I'd say bass can't be compared in any respect as Onyx has way more of it, is far more organic, and has a more natural timbre, while mids are warmer, more palpable, but less delicate than Ronin, and treble is a bit rougher with a bit more "urgency", if you wish. I find Ronin more balanced and probably easier for 5+ hr listening sessions. But for 2- hr sessions I prefer to jump into the deep ocean that is Onyx.

drftr

Apr 8, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #35,991 of 36,066
If using USB as an audio input/source the signal will run through the headphone dac (and will be processed in the dac) & the headphones must to be in "on" position in order to play audio.

If using 3.5 mm input/source

In off position, the input will not be processed by the headphone DAC
(ANC will not function)

In on position, the input will be processed by the DAC in the headphones. (ANC can function)
I'm reading this to mean that the 3.5mm input can function in full analog bypass mode, which is great if so as Bathys doesn't offer this but higher priced cans like the ML 5909 or the T+A Solitaire T do. A great option to have for those who want to take full advantage of their investment in a portable amp.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #35,992 of 36,066
I'm reading this to mean that the 3.5mm input can function in full analog bypass mode, which is great if so as Bathys doesn't offer this but higher priced cans like the ML 5909 or the T+A Solitaire T do. A great option to have for those who want to take full advantage of their investment in a portable amp.

I'm going to dig further on this feature and make sure it is part of the functionality.

It was on the goal list, but some of the goals had to be foregone due to time constraints.

But we did nail down the sound quality

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #35,996 of 36,066
I assume the way this is worded that you heard the Ragnor, but you did not hear the Viking and have no basis for comparison. Is that correct?

I have not heard the Viking, and I haven't heard many other popular TOTL IEMs. I am just sharing my admiration for what I have heard. It might
be possible to determine what are my hearing capabilities from my posts and perhaps guess as to what the Ragnar sounds like assuming I am
giving an accurate observation.

Sorry I can't help with the Viking discussion, I am sure it would be very interesting to hear it perform.
Hi Sorry, I just read this so late for the reply. Yes, I had heard the Ragnor. They tell me that they have used exactly the same drivers in the Ragnor but the only difference is the Aluminium casing. I refuse to believe that it sounds the same. I don't know what it is, the original Viking in full Damascus just sounded so different and much better IMHO. Please could someone confirm is the only difference the casing which is in full Damascus steel and the cable the only different between the 2. Saying this I was listening to the Ragnor at an AV show so maybe the environment was very different. I must say the Full Damascus steel Viking cable is absolutely the dog's b*llocks. At the AV show I spoke with the Noble representative there and told him what I thought and he agreed but I want to hear it from the horses mouth that this was only the 2 difference?

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #35,997 of 36,066
Hi Sorry, I just read this so late for the reply. Yes, I had heard the Ragnor. They tell me that they have used exactly the same drivers in the Ragnor but the only difference is the Aluminium casing. I refuse to believe that it sounds the same. I don't know what it is, the original Viking in full Damascus just sounded so different and much better IMHO. Please could someone confirm is the only difference the casing which is in full Damascus steel and the cable the only different between the 2. Saying this I was listening to the Ragnor at an AV show so maybe the environment was very different. I must say the Full Damascus steel Viking cable is absolutely the dog's b*llocks. At the AV show I spoke with the Noble representative there and told him what I thought and he agreed but I want to hear it from the horses mouth that this was only the 2 difference?
I heard both side by side and they are very close. I think the Damascus build, it just feels so perfect when holding it, that you just want it to be better. So let’s say a hair better.

As I have said in the past, listen to whatever IEM you want, but hold the Viking Damascus in your hand while doing it. Enjoy.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #35,998 of 36,066
I assume the way this is worded that you heard the Ragnor, but you did not hear the Viking and have no basis for comparison. Is that correct?

I have not heard the Viking, and I haven't heard many other popular TOTL IEMs. I am just sharing my admiration for what I have heard. It might
be possible to determine what are my hearing capabilities from my posts and perhaps guess as to what the Ragnar sounds like assuming I am
giving an accurate observation.

Sorry I can't help with the Viking discussion, I am sure it would be very interesting to hear it perform.
I heard both side by side and they are very close. I think the Damascus build, it just feels so perfect when holding it, that you just want it to be better. So let’s say a hair better.

As I have said in the past, listen to whatever IEM you want, but hold the Viking Damascus in your hand while doing it. Enjoy.
I have the Ragnar and I heard a Viking this past CanJam in Singapore belonging to @HiFiHawaii808. A/B'd both and to my ears, the Viking sounds more refined especially in the treble. It sounds slightly etched on the Ragnar for me. If you have no issues with the treble on the Ragnar, I believe @Frankie D is right. It sounds very close.

The other mind-blowing moment for me is when I tried a rare and expensive cable the Nightjar Sovereign Symphony 8W cable on the ragnar. It was a night and day experience for me. It elevated the Ragnar significantly. Refined the treble and added weight to the mids and bass. Currently, the Ragnar is my third or fourth favourite iem. With the SS 8W, it would be my no. 1. It is that good but, I could not live with the ergo. Much too thick!

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #35,999 of 36,066
I have the Ragnar and I heard a Viking this past CanJam in Singapore belonging to @HiFiHawaii808. A/B'd both and to my ears, the Viking sounds more refined especially in the treble. It sounds slightly etched on the Ragnar for me. If you have no issues with the treble on the Ragnar, I believe @Frankie D is right. It sounds very close.

The other mind-blowing moment for me is when I tried a rare and expensive cable the Nightjar Sovereign Symphony 8W cable on the ragnar. It was a night and day experience for me. It elevated the Ragnar significantly. Refined the treble and added weight to the mids and bass. Currently, the Ragnar is my third or fourth favourite iem. With the SS 8W, it would be my no. 1. It is that good but, I could not live with the ergo. Much too thick!
I still wonder if it is the total guage of the SS that is liked. Anyone have a different matching gauge cable to compare?

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #36,000 of 36,066

I agree, Viking + ss8w is just insane. Fortunate to have listened to this combo
IMG_4777.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back