Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 23, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #27,181 of 36,059
I needed to change the cable on my Katanas; nothing wrong with the stock cable, but I wanted to go balanced to match the AMP unit on my DX200 DAP.
I had exactly the same feeling as you! They felt immovable and I was really worried about damaging them!

Bluntly, it's just a question of using some force and persevering. Eventually, they will slide out. If you're really struggling, try wearing rubber/leather gloves for grip or something.
However, the one advice I can give here is to try to always ensure that the line of force you are using is matching the orientation of the pins in the connector.
The same when you are trying to push a new cable back in. Then there's comparatively little risk of breaking anything.

Others may have more advice, but this is how it was for me! Hope this helps :)

I finally tried again, praying to not damage anything and I can only agree to use some sort of rubber gloves or other sticking material. It worked quite well this way and now my Encore's rock a shiny new balanced cable :)

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #27,183 of 36,059
I finally tried again, praying to not damage anything and I can only agree to use some sort of rubber gloves or other sticking material. It worked quite well this way and now my Encore's rock a shiny new balanced cable :)

Great! Glad to hear that! Especially since, if it failed to make any difference, it would just make me sound like a bit of a weird fetishist :p

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #27,184 of 36,059
Looking at getting the K10u on massdrop. Checking to see if I will run into the same problem I did with my Andromeda and Mojo? Faint hiss and at lowest volume at night in bed was still to loud. The faint hiss was biggest issue for me.

Mar 25, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #27,185 of 36,059
Looking at getting the K10u on massdrop. Checking to see if I will run into the same problem I did with my Andromeda and Mojo? Faint hiss and at lowest volume at night in bed was still to loud. The faint hiss was biggest issue for me.

I have the massdrop K10u paired with the Mojo and I do not notice any his whatsoever.

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #27,186 of 36,059

No hiss at any volume with my AK240 either with K-10 U or the customs. I’ve owned and used both for many many hours.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #27,187 of 36,059
No hiss to speak of running my K10Us through my unamped iPhone or MacBook.

After what must be nearly two months of owning the Kaisers vocals sound absolutely stunning. Please hit me up with similar (although slightly less cheesy) songs similar to this one so I can melt away into a much kinder parallel universe...

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #27,188 of 36,059
DSC_0013.jpg

Fiio Alpen 2-E17K

Apologies in advance if this is off topic. These DAC/Amps by FiiO come in at under $150 and have a great synergistic mix with the Encore and stock cables. Ruler flat response except at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Adding just a slight 10-20% warmth and great soundstage. Of all my DACs so far I have become enamored by this little toy.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-e17k-alpen-2-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier.20540/reviews

Maybe an extra DAC/AMP to keep at work?

Read Brooko's review.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #27,190 of 36,059
Not off-topic at all, people often look for advice re amps, DACs etc. :)

Well, I don’t have any of the flagship desktops so maybe DACs are even better in the 4 digit category? And really I’m sure they are. Still for someone looking for an extra DAC/Amp, they should at least demo the Alpen 2.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #27,191 of 36,059
Hey Pinky, I have read your review on Tri Cu, how do you think the Tri Cu will fair with Katana? I am pairing the Katana with 1960, but I still feel it is lacking a bit of bass.

I think this could be a good choice. Also consider the Ares II+ by EA.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #27,192 of 36,059
I have both IEMs and Mojo. K10U hisses less. Andromeda is louder. I only got my K10U last Friday, but since it's BA it probably won't change much with burn in.

Actually I have the same problem as you with Andromeda being a little too loud even at the lowest volume on Mojo/ Hugo 2, but with K10U it's OK for me.

Oh! And by the way, these IEMs are good, really very extra good!

(And by the way, have you tried iEMatch? It eliminates the hisses and lowers the volume. It also has higher output impedance than Mojo so makes Andromeda not so bassy. But I don't like the way it alters Andromeda's sound. I like it being bassy :beyersmile:)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #27,195 of 36,059
I have both IEMs and Mojo. K10U hisses less. Andromeda is louder. I only got my K10U last Friday, but since it's BA it probably won't change much with burn in.

Actually I have the same problem as you with Andromeda being a little too loud even at the lowest volume on Mojo/ Hugo 2, but with K10U it's OK for me.

Oh! And by the way, these IEMs are good, really very extra good!

(And by the way, have you tried iEMatch? It eliminates the hisses and lowers the volume. It also has higher output impedance than Mojo so makes Andromeda not so bassy. But I don't like the way it alters Andromeda's sound. I like it being bassy :beyersmile:)
Thank you for the responses. I pulled the Massdrop K10 trigger yesterday. I did try the IEMatch with Andromeda. Took care of the hiss and volume. I did not like what it did to the sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back