Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #27,196 of 36,036
I was wondering if we could get a consolidated segmentation between the Noble EDC Velvet, Luxe, Bell, and Noble X.
If I'm not mistaken, price wise, it goes Luxe -> Velvet -> Bell -> Noble X?
How are they different soundwise? I own the Velvet and X, as points of comparison.
Are they all targeted at different audiences?

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #27,197 of 36,036
I would but I tried to get some 64audio A12 a while back and was told my ears were too small for them. I assume that the K10 needs a similar amount of space for the drivers as that. I lost a fair amount of money last time. Not sure if I want to risk it again. I love the custom fit but I am not sure if I want to risk going for another totl custom given the smallish ears I have.
Another option would be to go with custom tips with the universal version. I got micro snugs for my Encores because I have small ears and I couldn't be happier.

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #27,198 of 36,036
Was hoping to hear about the Bell and Luxe before the sale ended, but I guess that was unrealistic of my expectations...

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #27,199 of 36,036
Was hoping to hear about the Bell and Luxe before the sale ended, but I guess that was unrealistic of my expectations...
Hi this is a quote from the wizard from the Massdrop discussion thread. He was asked about the differences between the EDC models.

"Luxe Bass more bass focussed of the three, bare bones IEM relying on the essentials, housing, cable, and a quality driver
Velvet, somewhat warmish sound, surprisingly hard hitting bass for such a small package, bare bones IEM with a bit more focus on portability due to the over all size.
Bell, more balanced sound, high frequencies more robust than the Velvet, more amenities in the build
Features:
Bell Brass housing
PVD finish
4 core braided SPC tinsel cable, with a pull strenght of 150lbs at center length
Small housing
5.8 mm dd
Currently the most refined EDC offered by Noble"

I own both the Velvet and the Bell and I would agree with the wizard's assessment.

They both have their merits, but I use the Bell's more.

In my opinion they are outstanding even not just "for their price" but they stand on their own two feet as a quality iem

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #27,200 of 36,036
Thanks for the response! Would you say the Bell's are reminiscent of the Noble X's? What are the mids like?
Hi this is a quote from the wizard from the Massdrop discussion thread. He was asked about the differences between the EDC models.

"Luxe Bass more bass focussed of the three, bare bones IEM relying on the essentials, housing, cable, and a quality driver
Velvet, somewhat warmish sound, surprisingly hard hitting bass for such a small package, bare bones IEM with a bit more focus on portability due to the over all size.
Bell, more balanced sound, high frequencies more robust than the Velvet, more amenities in the build
Features:
Bell Brass housing
PVD finish
4 core braided SPC tinsel cable, with a pull strenght of 150lbs at center length
Small housing
5.8 mm dd
Currently the most refined EDC offered by Noble"

I own both the Velvet and the Bell and I would agree with the wizard's assessment.

They both have their merits, but I use the Bell's more.

In my opinion they are outstanding even not just "for their price" but they stand on their own two feet as a quality iem

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #27,203 of 36,036
Would you say the mids are forward, or are balanced pretty evenly with the rest?
I'd say they were reasonably balanced, if you were going to be hyper critical then maybe slightly recessed.
Having said that it really does depend on the tracks you are listening to.

Also for me when using large spinfits. The mids are brought that extra bit forward.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #27,204 of 36,036
Finally hocked up my Katana with Tri Cu, with 1960, it seems the potential of Katana is being held back but with the Tri Cu, the mid is now more forward, Bass is punchier and overall brighter. Really echoing what Pinky mentioned earlier on Encore with Tri Cu.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #27,207 of 36,036
Just received a pair of Noble Bell's today for evaluation. (Thanks Brannan!)
First of all, MUCH different than the Velvets. The Bells are brighter and more detailed in the highs. But still with lots of bass. I'd say a slightly V-shaped signature.
I prefer a brighter sound, so for me, the Bells are right up my alley. They have lots of air due to the elevated highs. To me that makes them sound more clear and resolving. But I also have no tolerance for any harshness in the highs and the Bells, while bright, are never harsh.

I used to have Noble X's, but it's been so long since I've heard them, I don't know if a comparison is relevant. Sorry.

But I do have a pair of Katana's and Encore's and K10 Customs. To me the Bells are more like the Encore's than the Katana's. The Katanas are more neutral than the Bells. The Bells have more bass than the Katanas and elevated highs compared to the Katanas.
The Bells remind me more of the Encores in terms of frequency response.
No, they're not as good as either the Katana or the Encore's, but that's to be expected considering the price difference. But the Bells are REALLY good for the price. (I think $199? that's unbelievable in terms of the sound quality vs. price!)
Compared to the K10, I agree with @Kunlun . The K10's are darker, thicker, more bass.

I also tried some Comply foam tips and that seems to smooth out the highs a bit and yields better bass response. But I've always gotten a much better seal with Comply foam tips compared to any silicone tips I've tried. I pretty much always use Comply tips with all of my IEMs.
(And lastly, WOW! These things work great for movies in 7.1. The detail and clarity really help the imaging.)

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #27,210 of 36,036
The encores sound so good with everything. But right now I'm especially enjoying some good modern folk music. It stirs up creativity so easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back