Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 2, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #24,831 of 36,066

That's because it's BA bass. If you want to feel the bass, go for a dynamic driver IEM. Not even the best BA TOTL will give the bass impact and punch of a decent dynamic driver.

I should disagree with that. While I can accept that generally dynamics have the "air" so you can feel it better, still there are some BA IEM's which can give the punch very well. So I think your expression "not even the BA TOTL's give it" is wrong. 

You should listen Spiral SE-5. That's the first that comes into my mind.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #24,834 of 36,066
Just got my custom Katana's today... for my first CIEM the fit is outstanding in a way that any universal hasn't even gotten close to. According to my audiologist I've got very narrow ear canals which was probably was every universal left me sore after a few hours.

The sound is pretty astonishing for such a small package, eager to put them through their paces.

Very nice.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #24,835 of 36,066

Challenge Accepted

As a happy owner of the Dulce Bass, I'd say challenge completed. 
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #24,836 of 36,066
Just passing by to say a big thank you the the Wizard...I've now found my definitive CIEM, K10 Encore.
No sibilance, tonally super-accurate, very comfortable (ok..they are ciems...), uber beautiful. Works like a charm with the Noble BTS which freed me from cables OTG, still sound beautiful with supplied cables with X7 and AK300. I don't think I'll ever change it.

Well...untill Kaiser Ensemble 
etysmile.gif

GRAZIE MAGO!!!

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #24,837 of 36,066

Having never had a CIEM before, new experience all around, but very much enjoying it.

Quick first impressions (MacBook Pro -> Audirvana+ with high res content -> USB -> Mojo -> Katana):

The mini Pelican case is cool!

Fit was very comfortable with a reasonable seal, once I figured out which end was up
   - I have never in my life been able to have IEMs, because I've never been able to get a reasonable seal with stock tips (apparently my ear canals are atypical)
   - I was apprehensive about having fit issues even with CIEMs, but the fit is absolutely fantastic, stable, and invisible  (couldn't be happier)

Absolutely gorgeous
   - Social acceptance factor WAAYYY higher than my Senn HD800's or Audio Zenith PMx2's
   - I would have zero issue wearing these to the store or as I walk around (key reason I bought them)

Isolation was surprisingly pleasant (not annoying at all)
   - Didn't feel like I was boxed in a small room...rather, like sitting in a quiet room at the end of the day, which is exactly what it should be
   - No complaints from my cube neighbors (another reason I bought them)
   - Looking forward to seeing how they do on an airplane or other noisy setting

Bass is a bit thinner than I thought it would be (I'm a neutral headphone guy, not a basshead)
   - I don't think it is the seal (seal seems good, and applying pressure isn't changing tone for me)
   - It seems like I'm hearing bass, but not feeling it...new experience for me
   - More I've been listening, the more I'm learning what to listen for?

The precision and dynamics in the mids and highs are mighty impressive
   - In particular, well recorded piano is amazing with these things, as are orchestral pieces (you just can't overwhelm them...pretty cool)

Good recordings REALLY make a difference in playback 
 - Chesky catalog is fantastic, as is stuff from Blue Coast Records

The vertical soundstage seems a lot more compressed and less resolved than the left/right sound stage
   - I'm going to need to fiddle with this...may need some cross talk to open things up
   - As is, for small jazz ensembles, I'm not getting the in the room experience I'm used to with my cans and 2 channel setup

Net net: Couldn't ask for better comfort, aesthetics, and social acceptability.  The speed and responsiveness of the sound is fantastic (almost unbelievably so), and I appreciate the very neutral sound.  I need to learn more about listening to bass in this way (pretty intriguing experience actually), and still need to play around with what can be done to influence the soundstage, but that is part of the fun!

Thanks to Brannan, Sunny, Ally, and whole team for the help and support in getting my order done and delivered.

Congrats! Try giving this one a spin:

The part at 1:35 where the strings join in always gets me on the Katana (and Encore).

Katana vs Encore which one has smoother treble and better bass ? I'm sensitive with treble. Im about to get one but don't know which one is for me. Will it be worth to upgrade from campfire vega ?

Encore, hands down. 

Challenge Accepted

A Noble Hybrid?!?

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #24,838 of 36,066
Regarding a Noble hybrid, that was just wishful thinking on my part lol
The 'Challenge' was that a BA-only IEM could not be made that provided the same quality and quantity of impactful bass as a Dynamic Driver.
If Dr. Moulton went ahead and designed a DD or hybrid IEM, it would be merely confirming the view of the original challenger
tongue_smile.gif

Having said all that, @FullCircIe your BA-only IEMs sound so good, I can't even imagine what an expertly-executed hybrid from you would sound like!
beyersmile.png

For me, I have a hybrid IEM right now and another on the way (Trinity Audio PM4 and PM6). 
I was astonished at the power and, particularly, the physical 'tactile' feel of the low end.
I could really feel strings being plucked, percussion being struck, and a physical rumble and depth from the bass generally.
It was unlike anything I've heard before.

I'm not saying BA IEM's can't also achieve this; I can't say that because I haven't heard enough excellent BA IEM's.
I demo'd the Katana at CanJam and it was incredible, but I was focusing on mainly acoustic music at that time, so didn't really pay too much attention to the low end.
Mainly because I was too busy having my mind blown by the detail, clarity, separation and so forth
basshead.gif

I'd rather hear the Encore first and other TOTL BA IEM's (acronym frenzy! haha) before making such a judgement
wink.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #24,839 of 36,066
I'd rather hear the Encore first and other TOTL BA IEM's (acronym frenzy! haha) before making such a judgement
wink.gif

The Encore and the K10 can deliver some serious bass slam. Before the K10 I had the 8.A (another Dr Moulton design) and that one made me leave dynamic drivers behind. Truth is, there is no Ultimate Truth in this matter. Some prefer DD bass, some prefer BA. But if Dr M comes up with a hybrid design, I sure would love to audition it. Since we're doing wishful thinking, maybe a Sage hybrid? Highs & mids from the Sage plus a DD for the low end should result in a reasonably priced and VERY enjoyable iem!

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #24,840 of 36,066
The Encore and the K10 can deliver some serious bass slam. Before the K10 I had the 8.A (another Dr Moulton design) and that one made me leave dynamic drivers behind. Truth is, there is no Ultimate Truth in this matter. Some prefer DD bass, some prefer BA. But if Dr M comes up with a hybrid design, I sure would love to audition it. Since we're doing wishful thinking, maybe a Sage hybrid? Highs & mids from the Sage plus a DD for the low end should result in a reasonably priced and VERY enjoyable iem!

I have demo-ed both Encore and K10. For the bass texture, slam etc, they are no where near the lvl of dynamic driver inside AAW W500. (iem with the best bass i've heard, its like an LCD3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back