Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 16, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #22,036 of 36,065

Okay, I've had a very productive day at work today.

No. I lied. But at least I've been A/B'ing the Hugo and the Mojo extensively.

Using the K10, I can't tell the difference between the two, I really can't. If I switch to the Katana however, I think I might be hearing an ever so very tiny difference in the bass (advantage Mojo) and soundstage (advantage Hugo), but even then we're talking 2-3% difference tops. And it's very, very possible that I only think I'm hearing those differences because they're exactly the differences people told me there'd be. However, when using the Katana I'd be willing to bet my house in a blind test between the Mojo and the Hugo. I can tell them apart 100% of the time, as long as you don't start the music. I thought the Hugo was quiet and had a black background but the Mojo has proven me wrong. That thing is SILENT!

Some thoughts on the K10 vs. Katana:
The Katana sound is really growing on me. It's fresh, clear, crisp and detailed, with a more "open" sound than the K10. Bass on the Katana goes just as deep as it does on the K10, but the K10 hits you MUCH harder. Both IEMs are very detailed, but with the K10 the music flows over you and if you like you can listen for the tiny details and they'll be there, just where they're supposed to be. On the Katana, every single detail is etched out crystal clear and served for you on a silver platter - yet by what I can only assume to be black magic, they somehow manage to remain musical. The CNC shells are tiny, but the edges start digging into my (addmittedly weird) ears after a few hours. No worries, I just pop in the K10 customs and it's like coming home to your favorite pair of nearly worn-out slippers: A perfect fit, no pressure points and you don't even feel them. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #22,037 of 36,065

Okay, I've had a very productive day at work today.

No. I lied. But at least I've been A/B'ing the Hugo and the Mojo extensively.

Using the K10, I can't tell the difference between the two, I really can't. If I switch to the Katana however, I think I might be hearing an ever so very tiny difference in the bass (advantage Mojo) and soundstage (advantage Hugo), but even then we're talking 2-3% difference tops. And it's very, very possible that I only think I'm hearing those differences because they're exactly the differences people told me there'd be. However, when using the Katana I'd be willing to bet my house in a blind test between the Mojo and the Hugo. I can tell them apart 100% of the time, as long as you don't start the music. I thought the Hugo was quiet and had a black background but the Mojo has proven me wrong. That thing is SILENT!

Some thoughts on the K10 vs. Katana:
The Katana sound is really growing on me. It's fresh, clear, crisp and detailed, with a more "open" sound than the K10. Bass on the Katana goes just as deep as it does on the K10, but the K10 hits you MUCH harder. Both IEMs are very detailed, but with the K10 the music flows over you and if you like you can listen for the tiny details and they'll be there, just where they're supposed to be. On the Katana, every single detail is etched out crystal clear and served for you on a silver platter - yet by what I can only assume to be black magic, they somehow manage to remain musical. The CNC shells are tiny, but the edges start digging into my (addmittedly weird) ears after a few hours. No worries, I just pop in the K10 customs and it's like coming home to your favorite pair of nearly worn-out slippers: A perfect fit, no pressure points and you don't even feel them. 

Try the blue cored noble tips, don't push them in all the way, maybe push them in about 1-2mm past the ridge. I like that best with the katana sonically :)

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #22,038 of 36,065
They basically shrunk the Hugo to less than half the size, wrapped it up in a MUCH prettier package and quartered the price. And they did it with almost NO audible sacrifices. Everyone was right, I should've gotten one loooong ago!

I see what you did there. Instead of getting just the Hugo, you paid the same amount and got a Mojo plus the Katana. You're not fooling me with any talk of saving money... (I won't tell your wife). I'm surprised to hear you found little (if any) difference in sound between the Mojo and Hugo when paired with the K10. I find the Mojo+K10 to be wonderful, if not a little "thick" sounding. Would have thought the Hugo would make things sound a little less meaty or more open.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #22,041 of 36,065
Any chance there might be a Dulce Bass universal custom lot in the near future?

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #22,043 of 36,065
Firstly, Dr John, keep up the sterling work, loving the old dulce bass.

I need new tips, have seen that the Spinfits come recommended. Only problem is that the CP100s (which are recommended for noble headphones) won't fit?? Is that right?

I've also tried Comply, but they are also near impossible to attach.

Any ideas where I can find tips that are relatively easy to attach in the UK (I enjoyed the black foam tips that originally came with the DBs)?

Many thanks all!

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #22,046 of 36,065
The Katana has a massive soundstage and a bit sharper aesthetics to the sound. To me the K10 sounded more organic and still had a big sound stage. I only had about a 5 minute comparison session, but I preferred the K10.
I'm finding the Soundstage on the Katana to be a bit larger.

K10 is fuller in the midbass/lower midrange section. Not by a lot, but enough to notice a difference.

Treble is a bit more extended with Katana and also perceptually cleaner and more resolving.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #22,047 of 36,065
Probably not, as we r trying to gear up for other projects/events etc etc

Well, at least I know not to try and wait now.  Makes my time of purchase easier.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #22,050 of 36,065
  I tried for quite a while and no joy. Surely it shouldn't be that difficult?  Any other tips (excuse the pun) gratefully received. 

The trick is to start the core of tip on one side and "pull" it over the nozzle of the earphone.

Maybe I will do a video showing how to install the blue tips and other tips that are more difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back