Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
May 30, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #20,343 of 36,109
In some respects the k10 is a survivor.

As it qlmost never saw the light

Story time?

I have to rest these old bones first

popcorn.gif

May 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #20,346 of 36,109

Ahh, I really REALLY want to pull the trigger and buy these now, but its so close to the Wizards birthday, that my wallet is telling me to wait a month... but my ears want these now! Lol #soconflicted

Wait bro... It will make them even more enjoyable once you finally receive them.

No, No, No.  Too long of a wait just pisses me off.   I get so mad about poor customer service and lack of good business manners that I can not enjoy the product.  The more the item costs, the greater the disappointment and less tolerance for this type of pain.  This is true, for me, for any product ordered and not available upon scheduled time or unscheduled expectation.

May 30, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #20,348 of 36,109
I just put in an order for the onkyo dp-X1 to use with the k10's. Anyone have any experience with this pairing or think it will be good?

I do plan to use and compare both balanced and SE with it.

Also as a side note: what is everyone's opinion on the basically non existence of class a amplification for portable setups. Does it matter?

That is my primary setup, and it sounds fantastic.  The DP-X1 was built from the ground up explicitly to play in balanced mode.  When it comes down to SE vs balanced, implementation is key.  The DP-X1 was designed around its balanced output, and the balanced output sounds significantly better than the SE output.   I have a cable that allows me to trade out the cable connection to 2.5mm TRRS, 3.5mm TRS, 6.34mm TRS, XLR, and mini XLR.  I have had my wife trade out the connections on the cable / player so I could A/B test them (it was behind my back so I couldn't see, and I didn't have a different cable so I couldn't tell when / if the connection to the player was changed).  I got it right 30 times out of 30 tests.

The balanced output on the DP-X1 sounds better to me than the SE output.  That doesn't mean that it's the same on every single device, or that balanced is inherently better.  SE on the Hugo is sublime, and I assume it is on the Mojo, as well, but I haven't heard that.  It really does depend on the device.  Actually, I generally preferred SE to balanced on the AK240 that I briefly demoed, and I later learned that the SE connection was a direct connection and the balanced was attached by a small ribbon cable.  That doesn't mean anything, other than that the balanced connection wasn't the primary design consideration for that device.

So, on the DP-X1, you will enjoy the SE output, but I really do recommend going with a balanced cable eventually.  It is a very good upgrade on the sound.  You'll enjoy it!

On your last point, I don't think it matters too much. Portable gear generally doesn't require that much power, and it sounds great without Class A amplification.  It's just not necessary.

May 30, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #20,349 of 36,109
Wow thank you for the response sq3rjick!

That gets me excited for my new CIEMs. Can't wait to get everything in and start listening! I did choose balanced termination for my therium cable from norne. I like that it has 2 card slots with up to 400gb of potential added storage. I also like that it has full access to google play right out of the box. Do you get static or any unwanted cracks or noises with 3rd party apps such as tidal? Or is it a silent background always even turning the volume high.

Also yea I don't think class A is a big deal.

May 30, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #20,353 of 36,109
I want to upgrade my K10 cable, What is your suggestion guys?

Linum Music for both comfort and sound. While I do believe, from personal experience, that cables do affect sound, I have found absolutely no correlation between the price of a cable and my enjoyment of the sound. For me, I have been lucky to find that the Linum Music cable is the perfect combinarion of extreme comfort and great non-fatiguing sound at a relatively reasonable price.

May 30, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #20,355 of 36,109
Noble K10U sounds very much like the real thing, together with Chord Mojo, it sounds very similar to the feeling of being at a gig listening to live music. I think this is what true neutral sound is.

Sorry. I'm going to call you on that.
I have heard some very high end headphone rigs and it is my belief that headphones will never sound like live music.
At best they will sound like extremely well reproduced music from headphones. Which the K10 certainly does.
Live? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back