Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #15,107 of 36,116
Dammit, even the K10U is beating my customs in likes on FB. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #15,108 of 36,116
I see that new k10u will be shipping in a pelican 1010 case. This is a question for either John or Brannan, so for people who have already ordered k10 ciem and not shipped yet. Will it get a pelican case as well..

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #15,109 of 36,116

I thought I had remembered you putting up resistance in one of Jude's articles/threads about ear scanning and Ultimate Ears? Oh well...

For what it's worth, I'd miss the visual aspect for sure, but the convenience of digital ear impressions and potentially faster build times would be worth it to me (sound quality equal, of course). And the more companies accept digital impressions (which would be significantly more convenient for me, all things considered), the more likely it is to go mainstream.

That said...if I were to buy a CIEM as expensive as the K10, for example, I'd probably go all in with a hand-crafted Wizard design at that point.

Nah, what I stated was SLA tech isn't new, and I posted a YouTube VDO that was published by a CIEM mfg. in 2007 that covered the use of SLA manufacturing at their facility

I also stated that SLA manufacturing (AKA additive manufacturing) has limitations when it comes to colors and art work.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Sep 30, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #15,110 of 36,116
Agreed.. Once you cross a certain threshold it becomes necessary to go custom design to maintain your individuality.. My threshold for generic look is $500.
smily_headphones1.gif

Likewise for most companies, but since the Wizard Design option costs an additional $400 I'd probably have to be going for an endgame CIEM like the K10 to justify it. 

One of these days, I'm gonna do it. Until then...

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #15,111 of 36,116

Likewise for most companies, but since the Wizard Design option costs an additional $400 I'd probably have to be going for an endgame CIEM like the K10 to justify it. 

One of these days, I'm gonna do it. Until then...

Interesting you used an Iron man meme.   When my son saw the new K10 U he said.....   cool   "Iron Man"   He is a natural born artist, and can conect with those types of things.  I never made that connection before he mentioned it.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Oct 1, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #15,112 of 36,116

Interesting you used an Iron man meme.   When my son saw the new K10 U he said.....   cool   "Iron Man"   He is a natural born artist, and can conect with those types of things.  I never made that connection before he mentioned it.

Take the silver part and make it gold color, voila, Iron Man full on.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #15,114 of 36,116
Goodness gracious - spend a day away from the threads and all hell breaks loose....

1.) I happen to know of many people who were thrilled to pay $599 and up for a Audeo PFE232 (lovely headphone - no one complained) 

2.) You want to talk about blind loyalty - try Fitear - You can't buy one unless you have a Tokyo address or a combination of forged residency docs and a Plastic Surgeon willing to experiment on you.
      Fitear, Fitear? What's that about - did I stutter? Love the solid black shells there.

3.) I see some nice reviews about the new Jays - not cheap are they?

I rely on my ears to make me happy with audio gear, not my eyes. Counting drivers is like the Junior High School PE Shower - I never partook in the comparisons - I kept my eyes forward and let the water cascade over me.  It's like the guy with the tallest pickup truck (I beg the indulgence of my friends not brought up in the USA) - he typically has the furthest distance to jump to hit the pavement upon exiting the vehicle.... But hot damn, when he's driving on the freeway, he's big....

Everybody makes their own decisions - hopefully they are based on what they hear, not what they see - and god forbid, what others see...

I like bass, midrange and treble - and while it fascinates me how tuners find ways to reproduce these, I don't profess to know how to do it better.

Disclaimer: I have a custom K10 on order - this is my first Noble product, but not my first trip to the rodeo. 

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #15,117 of 36,116
  Goodness gracious - spend a day away from the threads and all hell breaks loose....

1.) I happen to know of many people who were thrilled to pay $599 and up for a Audeo PFE232 (lovely headphone - no one complained) 

2.) You want to talk about blind loyalty - try Fitear - You can't buy one unless you have a Tokyo address or a combination of forged residency docs and a Plastic Surgeon willing to experiment on you.
      Fitear, Fitear? What's that about - did I stutter? Love the solid black shells there.

I rely on my ears to make me happy with audio gear, not my eyes. Counting drivers is like the Junior High School PE Shower - I never partook in the comparisons - I kept my eyes forward and let the water cascade over me.  It's like the guy with the tallest pickup truck (I beg the indulgence of my friends not brought up in the USA) - he typically has the furthest distance to jump to hit the pavement upon exiting the vehicle.... But hot damn, when he's driving on the freeway, he's big....

Everybody makes their own decisions - hopefully they are based on what they hear, not what they see - and god forbid, what others see...

I like bass, midrange and treble - and while it fascinates me how tuners find ways to reproduce these, I don't profess to know how to do it better.

Disclaimer: I have a custom K10 on order - this is my first Noble product, but not my first trip to the rodeo. 

Your post made me miss home.  My dad actually called me this morning....  asked me if I got any sleep, he is also a lurker on Head Fi

thanks for your order, you took your sweet time, and I'm sure a lot of consideration went into your decission.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #15,119 of 36,116
People that think the new design is ugly, check out the CANJAM video for RMAF this weekend. It gives a nice look at them, with the tips on it might change the way some feel about the appearance. The Noble part starts at about 15:45 min in or so.

Oct 1, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #15,120 of 36,116

I completely agree with the idea of judging based on sound, which I why I find it rather disappointing when the community divides itself into mud slinging each other based on self imposed camps, when the truth of the matter is that we all seek the sound that suits us both. 

The idea of driver count being a non-determinant factor when evaluating a CIEM is also one that highly resonates with me. Till date, I have heard a 2 driver unit with technical resolution and clarity unsurpassed by any CIEM thus far, even those that boast a driver count and price tag way above it. But then again, its a 2 driver model unabashedly marketed as such, with a premium price tag, so prehaps that wasnt so surprising after all.

What I do find scary however, is the complete refusal to acknowledge potential flaws or variances in sound signatures. People will buy what they like, that is certain. But just because it is popular doesnt mean that its good, or 'the best UIEM' that a person has heard to date, which was well demonstrated by the chap talking about Fitear. It has its stellar areas (its unsurpassed lush mids), but the rest of it is a horrible mess, and dont get me started on the lack of access to it. A potential buyer may walk into the thread seeking opinions, sees nothing but praise due to the culture of quelling all contrary opinions, buys one, and finds himself disappointed because of a problem that he was not warned about. Another unhappy customer has been born, brings it to the forum hoping to warn others, only to find the entire cycle repeated.

I will stand by my opinion that the Noble Savant, and the K10 and K10 U possess remarkably fun and comfortable sound signature that will appeal to the vast majority. But detail retrieval is hardly what I will call its strong area. Because it makes everything sound good, it smooths over details (and flaws) in the source, which at the same time means that nothing will ever sound excellent on it. The 'pop' factor that comes with an insane clarity and imaging will never be present. I find myself puzzled when I read that the K10 is a detailed CIEM, because it clearly is not one when compared to many other flagship CIEMS out there. I could name brands, but I will not do so out of respect for the  Noble's owners. The K10 is a nice CIEM to listen to, but it remains a casual CIEM, not one for critical listening. This is not a criticism of its tuning in its sound signature, but its lack of technical retrieval which is a separate issue. 

The same goes for shell work. As for the universal, having lurked on this thread for a while to evaluate the purchase of a Savant myself, I found myself more and more convinced that the potential issue of a shell problem (peeling of the lacquer, cracked nozzle) was something that only started appearing recently, and not something that I wish to (potentially) deal with. The K10U issue can be referenced by the guy who had a Red K10U which started seeing horrible peeling issues subsequently. Same goes for the Noble k10 customs. Because Noble makes such intricate and elaborate shells, the difference in materials will make for uneven bonding strengths, leading to an enhanced risk of cracks. I have personally seen a couple of friends send their K10s back for a shell rebuild, and all of them went for the Wizard designs or reprints. I love Noble's shell work, and too wish that mine was as pretty, but I have had the luxury of listening to my CIEMs ever since I got it back from a refit, while seeing my friends in a constant cycle of getting their K10s, shell issue, immediate return and so on. Its, to me, simply a strong negative point. 

Many of these are give and take issues, but they are still none the less present. I seek not to offend, but offer a view in as objective a manner as possible. It is my honest opinion, that we should not be evaluating a CIEM based on what a group of people or individual person think is 'the best u/CIEM' he has heard to date, but rather view its strong or weak suits against other offerings, and then decide which CIEM suits him best.

In short, the idea that one UIEM or CIEM is 'the best', to me, is hardly informative, when seeking to evaluate a product. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back