Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 3, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #14,298 of 36,045
I spent a lot of time at CanJam comparing a Chord Hugo/AK player with an iPhone. With myK10's. No difference that I could tell. YMMV.

Ironically, when I compared my iPhone 6 to the Hugo on the K10s, I heard a clear difference...in favor of the phone. The noise floor of the Hugo was too high and distracting. When I compared the iPhone with the AK120ii/AK240 (I heard no difference between the two AKs) I heard a small but clear and consistent difference in favor of the AKs. I had to run out of Stereo Exchange before my credit card jumped out of my wallet.

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #14,299 of 36,045
Ironically, when I compared my iPhone 6 to the Hugo on the K10s, I heard a clear difference...in favor of the phone. The noise floor of the Hugo was too high and distracting. When I compared the iPhone with the AK120ii/AK240 (I heard no difference between the two AKs) I heard a small but clear and consistent difference in favor of the AKs. I had to run out of Stereo Exchange before my credit card jumped out of my wallet.

However if you listen to music outdoors, I would say you won't care about the little difference between AK players and your iPhone lol.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #14,301 of 36,045
I finally received the Savant today via Aid2Hearing, and they are amazing!

I tried to listen to some Savant, with the Savant. Loved it :etysmile:

Enjoy! The Savants are great.

I agree that the K10 sounds great with just a phone or DAP.  Hugo is great if you also listened to full size, higher impedence headphones.  And since I have the setup for that, I also use it for the K10's, with fantastic results! :wink_face:

We also listened with Sennheiser HD600's. Same results.

For the cost and inconvenience of the Hugo, I would want more than a small difference.
I was expecting a huge soundstage to open up with details surrounding me that I could almost reach out and touch. Didn't happen.

How have other K10 owners passed the time while waiting for their K10s?

It feels like watching paint dry! :frowning2:

Please help! 

I became a student of the way of Zen. :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #14,302 of 36,045
For the cost and inconvenience of the Hugo, I would want more than a small difference.
I was expecting a huge soundstage to open up with details surrounding me that I could almost reach out and touch. Didn't happen.

Perhaps you can give an example of what music you tested with. I don't think dac's are designed to magically add nuances to music that aren't already there in the recording; rather they're usually meant to be faithful to the original recording. if the recording didn't capture the information, or the information was removed/changed due to compression then it could explain why you experienced only slight differences. I mean if you consider the fact that most recording studios aren't exactly concert halls, even with the most resolving gear you'll just hear them inside the recording studio.

I feel that if you're after that out of your head effect I think changing what iem/headphone you use would make a greater difference. Every model has different characteristics when it comes to soundstage. Something that seems congested on what you've tried might sound more spacious on phones famous for large soundstages

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #14,304 of 36,045
Perhaps you can give an example of what music you tested with. I don't think dac's are designed to magically add nuances to music that aren't already there in the recording; rather they're usually meant to be faithful to the original recording. if the recording didn't capture the information, or the information was removed/changed due to compression then it could explain why you experienced only slight differences. I mean if you consider the fact that most recording studios aren't exactly concert halls, even with the most resolving gear you'll just hear them inside the recording studio.

I feel that if you're after that out of your head effect I think changing what iem/headphone you use would make a greater difference. Every model has different characteristics when it comes to soundstage. Something that seems congested on what you've tried might sound more spacious on phones famous for large soundstages

Your point about the recording used is a good one. We only used one track. Which in hindsight is not a true test. Sultans of Swing by Dire Straights as it happens. We should have used a variety of recordings.
Your point about different headphones, I'm not so sure.
I have now heard numerous headphones and rigs at three different meets. Plus having owned several.
My point stands. There are limitations to the headphone listening experience and a fortune can be wasted trying to deny that fact.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #14,305 of 36,045

Agreed, I feel that the poster should step up a notch on the DAP front, no real point in having one of the best IEMs out there, and then throttling it with a less than perfect source.

In the sub-$500 price range, the DX90 is certainly one of the best contenders. A very good match, IMO.

I sold off my DX50 and T1 amp to fund the DX90 but never bought one in the end. Is it still a contender at its price range?

Grabbed the x1 to get me by. Was just curious as to what's about and any recommendations.

Thanks.

Well, I've heard all of the FiiO and iBasso DAPs under $500, and the DX90 sounds best, IMO. Clean, detailed sound, with impressive power, too. It's a shame that they have been discontinued now, but the upcoming DX80 looks like a solid choice as well.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #14,307 of 36,045
I can only tell you what I heard Wata. I was actually shocked and quite disillusioned TBH.
Like you I had read the eulogies.

Haha. Well, we can only agree to disagree here, bro. For me, I can hear slight to big differences when scaling up the DAP/DAC chain, from my LG G3 all the way to a Hugo. The latter is magnificent, and brings a lot of top-end clarity to IEMs such as my K10 and Roxanne. For me, the Hugo is well worth its sticker tag. 
smile.gif

But as they say, YMMV, and to each his own! As long as you enjoy your music, who's to say who's right or wrong? Cheers, buddy! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #14,309 of 36,045
Haha. Well, we can only agree to disagree here, bro. For me, I can hear slight to big differences when scaling up the DAP/DAC chain, from my LG G3 all the way to a Hugo. The latter is magnificent, and brings a lot of top-end clarity to IEMs such as my K10 and Roxanne. For me, the Hugo is well worth its sticker tag. :smile:

But as they say, YMMV, and to each his own! As long as you enjoy your music, who's to say who's right or wrong? Cheers, buddy! :beerchug:

Totally agree. The music is the thing. :)

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #14,310 of 36,045
Enjoying the K10 while eating lunch. Awesome bass listening to the Lorn album! My ears are loving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back