Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 3, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #14,281 of 36,096
Spending more on a new DAP because you have already spent a lot on headphones? I can't agree with that advice. K10s are very efficient and easy to drive. As long as a source is gapless with low noise floor and good channel balance I think you would find it very hard to tell the difference between it and a more expensive one when driving IEMs.

You can't say that on head fi!! (Although I agree with you 200%)

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #14,282 of 36,096
I spent a lot of time at CanJam comparing a Chord Hugo/AK player with an iPhone. WithyK10's. No difference that I could tell. YMMV.

That's a pretty bold statement, all I ever heard was how amazing the Hugo is. There is also plenty that feel once you hit a certain level, it all sounds the same, as is good. As I posted before, I heard a combo at The Show in May, that was nothing but a phone playing a song through the K10's, UNREAL sound.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #14,283 of 36,096
That's a pretty bold statement, all I ever heard was how amazing the Hugo is. There is also plenty that feel once you hit a certain level, it all sounds the same, as is good.

I can only tell you what I heard Wata. I was actually shocked and quite disillusioned TBH.
Like you I had read the eulogies.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #14,285 of 36,096
Well the goal is, to sell stuff, look at Beats.

Two factors that may be involved.
Mainstream electronics have advanced to a level that was once the preserve of the enthusiast.
There is a tendency to over complicate the equipment in an attempt to make gear a hobby. Rather than listening to music.
There is the third possibility. That my ears are shot!
I was with two much younger friends who heard the same thing though...

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #14,286 of 36,096
Mainstream electronics have advanced to a level that was once the preserve of the enthusiast.
There is a tendency to over complicate the equipment in an attempt to make gear a hobby. Rather than listening to music.

I did edit my first post you quoted, so there is a part I agree/understand. When it comes to mobile audio, headphones first for gear, but the very first thing is making sure your music isn't crap.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #14,287 of 36,096
I did edit my first post you quoted, so there is a part I agree/understand. When it comes to mobile audio, headphones first for gear, but the very first thing is making sure your music isn't crap.

We were comparing a lossless track on the AK with Spotify Premium. Streaming. Supposedly 320kbps.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #14,289 of 36,096
Spotify = loss of fidelity
Bluetooth = loss of fidelity

You are enjoying these services for convenience, not ultimate pursuit of quality. Agree stick to the phone. The AK is a waste in your situation also.

I've not heard Bluetooth but read nothing good about it SQ wise. I can't hear a difference between Spotify on my iPhone and lossless on an iPod.
What shocked me is that even the most esoteric rigs that I have heard did not sound significantly better than my K10's and iPhone.
I have never heard any headphone rig that "blew me away".
Speaker based systems yes.
This leads me to conclude that there are limitations to what you will hear regardless of money and gear.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #14,290 of 36,096
We were comparing a lossless track on the AK with Spotify Premium. Streaming. Supposedly 320kbps.

The guy that had me listen to his phone was using streaming as far as I understood. I didn't really ask, but he asked if I had Tidal, so I assumed that's what he was using. I still don't know what phone it was, don't remember the song, nothing, all I remember was I was floored by what I heard out of a no frills setup and the K10.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #14,291 of 36,096
The guy that had me listen to his phone was using streaming as far as I understood. I didn't really ask, but he asked if I had Tidal, so I assumed that's what he was using. I still don't know what phone it was, don't remember the song, nothing, all I remember was I was floored by what I heard out of a no frills setup and the K10.

It'll do me! :) Goodnight from UK. Off to bed.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #14,292 of 36,096
Hi there! First post on this thread, but I've been reading it since around page 800. Thanks for all the jokes during summer Wata!
biggrin.gif

I finally received the Savant today via Aid2Hearing, and they are amazing!

I tried to listen to some Savant, with the Savant. Loved it
etysmile.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #14,293 of 36,096

I agree that the K10 sounds great with just a phone or DAP.  Hugo is great if you also listened to full size, higher impedence headphones.  And since I have the setup for that, I also use it for the K10's, with fantastic results!
wink_face.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #14,294 of 36,096
  Hi there! First post on this thread, but I've been reading it since around page 800. Thanks for all the jokes during summer Wata!
biggrin.gif

I finally received the Savant today via Aid2Hearing, and they are amazing!

I tried to listen to some Savant, with the Savant. Loved it
etysmile.gif

Glad you enjoyed the jokes, too bad they are no more. Mods dont have a sense of humor, so I wont be doing them any more, which will make some happy. Enjoy the Savants, they are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back