Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 5, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #14,327 of 36,096
how long should i burn in the savant?

Just do it the same as other IEM

Open all of your music that you own repeatly 10-15 hours per day [no more] [70-80% of your normal sound volume]

Do not use the wave sound (zzzzbbbbzbzzbzbzvzvzv) it will make the driver become too hot and broke

Keep doing this for 150-200 hours then you got a savant with full performance

mine is 40 hours now and its sound's already better than all IEM i ever own

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #14,328 of 36,096
Stick 'em in your ears and enjoy!
If you must, play music on repeat when you are not listening to them.
Can't do any harm. Can't do any good either mind. :wink:
(That last is just IMHO.)

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #14,329 of 36,096
whether burn in exists on BAs is subjective, however isn't burning them in whilst not listening like going on a journey on the orient express, and going to sleep the second you get on board, only to wake up at your destination??

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #14,330 of 36,096
whether burn in exists on BAs is subjective, however isn't burning them in whilst not listening like going on a journey on the orient express, and going to sleep the second you get on board, only to wake up at your destination??

Burn in is BS, YOU are the one that adjusts to the sound, that is all.
deadhorse.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #14,331 of 36,096
how long should i burn in the savant?

Burn in questions unveil individual answers depending who sees your question first, they always make me grin because some innocent member may mention it akin to throwing petrol on a stack of wood, then.. before long a thread goes waaaay off course into danger zones. 
biggrin.gif

From my expereince with several IEMs I've detected very little if any changes and if I did I don't exactly remember what the IEM sounded like from the get go anyway. You can set them up and do 20 hours or so, though really just listen to them, don't be too worried about some sacred ritual or long term ceremony. I remain quite neutral about the subject overall though.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #14,332 of 36,096
how long should i burn in the savant?

No burn in required, IMO.  I can see maybe, maybe dynamic drivers benefiting from it, but not BA's.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #14,333 of 36,096
  Would be hard to compare and contrast since they both have different connectors. For what it's worth, not really. There's a noticeable change in sound from stock cable to balanced, and from balanced to amped balanced, but I feel like the differences are through the amp and not the cable itself. I bought the cable due to ergonomics than for the sound.

The Linum, although nice and thin, was horrible to use day to day. My daily routine was spending the time waiting for the bus to untangle the super thin cables and because it's so thin, it would always look curly when worn. Comfortable...but didn't want to deal with the untangling anymore. There was also some issue with pressing on the 2.5 TRRS jack where sound slightly cuts out. My wife's Linum MMCX BaX connected to a SE846 has the same issue, and it also cuts out on one of the earpieces in certain angles. Sound was fine though!

Thanks! So, BTG has a better ergonomics than Linum? 

Edit: I'm also looking for a good balanced cable for K10U.

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #14,334 of 36,096
I read the K10s have a recommended burn in of 70 years. They are the first headphone that can't be fully enjoyed until after death. 
blink.gif

Okay, so here's a couple of serious (and maybe stupid) questions, but considering how much I paid for the K10s, I want to keep them functioning properly! 

1. Cleaning. How do y'all do it? Do you use the wire tool after every use? I'm a little unclear on how to use it... do you fully insert the wire into each bore and go fishing? Or do you just use it around the edges of the bores to scoop out wax that is visible on the edges? It barely fits in the smallest bore (of the three), and I don't want to damage the lacquer by forcing it too much. Also, is the brush end of the tool for straightening my eyebrows?

2. Moisture exposure. How long after a shower is it safe to put them in? Yes I bathe, sometimes even with soap. I'm assuming that the water left in my ears after a shower, plus the heat build-up caused by an inserted ciem, equals humidity which can't be good for the drivers. I usually wait about a half hour after taking a shower... is that long enough? 

Any wisdom here is much appreciated. Happy Labor Day weekend to those of you in the states 
beerchug.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #14,335 of 36,096
  I read the K10s have a recommended burn in of 70 years. They are the first headphone that can't be fully enjoyed until after death. 
blink.gif

Okay, so here's a couple of serious (and maybe stupid) questions, but considering how much I paid for the K10s, I want to keep them functioning properly! 

1. Cleaning. How do y'all do it? Do you use the wire tool after every use? I'm a little unclear on how to use it... do you fully insert the wire into each bore and go fishing? Or do you just use it around the edges of the bores to scoop out wax that is visible on the edges? It barely fits in the smallest bore (of the three), and I don't want to damage the lacquer by forcing it too much. Also, is the brush end of the tool for straightening my eyebrows?

2. Moisture exposure. How long after a shower is it safe to put them in? Yes I bathe, sometimes even with soap. I'm assuming that the water left in my ears after a shower, plus the heat build-up caused by an inserted ciem, equals humidity which can't be good for the drivers. I usually wait about a half hour after taking a shower... is that long enough? 

Any wisdom here is much appreciated. Happy Labor Day weekend to those of you in the states 
beerchug.gif

Cleaning the tubes is most likely going to depend on the individual. If you get a lot of wax, clean them more often. I just check mine after a week or so, my right ear always has more wax than my left. I just stick the wire part in and clean, its not rocket surgery. The wire is only going in so far, heck I have even cleaned the holes with a paper clip when I am out and don't have the tool with me.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #14,336 of 36,096

I just stick the wire part in and clean, its not rocket surgery. The wire is only going in so far, heck I have even cleaned the holes with a paper clip when I am out and don't have the tool with me.

Yeah, I always wondered if there was a risk of hitting a driver when sticking the wire tool in too far. I'd always hoped the wire tool wasn't long enough to do that.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #14,337 of 36,096
  Yeah, I always wondered if there was a risk of hitting a driver when sticking the wire tool in too far. I'd always hoped the wire tool wasn't long enough to do that.

Nah, you're good to go. I just realized your handle/name. I thought it was your real name, which is possible, but I just started watching Dexter, I am on season 3.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #14,338 of 36,096
I read the K10s have a recommended burn in of 70 years. They are the first headphone that can't be fully enjoyed until after death. :blink:

Any wisdom here is much appreciated. Happy Labor Day weekend to those of you in the states :beerchug:  

Re the little tool thing. I was worried about pushing too hard but it does actually go in fairly easily. I would only use it to scoop out what I can see rather than pushing stuff further down the bore.
Re moisture and bathing, OMG! Something else to worry about!!!
Actually I think it is a non problem. Remember CIEM's were designed for use by stage musicians. A performer sweats buckets!
What you do is sensible though.
I keep a desiccant pouch in my CIEM case.
You can get powered devices to remove moisture but that would be a bit OTT IMO. unless you are a stage performer or wear your K10's to the gym maybe. HTH.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #14,339 of 36,096

Thanks! So, BTG has a better ergonomics than Linum? 

Edit: I'm also looking for a good balanced cable for K10U.

I personally like it a lot better. There's more heft to it, so it naturally weighs itself down unlike lighter cables. Due to the SPC used, you really need to make sure that the memory wire touches part of your ear or the microphonics past the sleeving could be a slight issue. I walk around and I don't notice it too much, but play with the fitment a bit so it's comfortable but also touches. The microphonics that I can hear come from the collar of my jacket rubbing on the cable, but it's very minimal compared to other cables I've used. It's also quite cheap, and it's a good starting point to see whether you can tell the difference between cables. Linum is more comfortable since it's so light, but I just don't really like the QC and the tangling since caring for my K10 involves chucking it into my jacket pocket when not in use.

Sep 5, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #14,340 of 36,096
Stick 'em in your ears and enjoy!
If you must, play music on repeat when you are not listening to them.
Can't do any harm. Can't do any good either mind.
wink.gif

(That last is just IMHO.)

Yep. Just enjoy them. Why bother with burn-in? You won't be able to remember the differences between pre and post-burn in sound signatures, anyway. 
smile.gif

blink.gif

Damn. I still have another 69 and a half years to go. Are you sure you read the manual correctly? 
frown.gif

Anyway..

Cleaning: I use the small wax tool to clean about 1-2 mm into each bore. That should be enough, I suppose. I wouldn't want to go any deeper and risk damaging the sound tubes.

Moisture: I clean my ears with small cotton buds before I use my IEMs (after bathing). But yeah, about half an hour after bathing, your ears should be quite dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back