Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jun 22, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #12,002 of 36,059
Tuned for death metal and Merzbow.

I could never, ever get into Noizecore. I like Ultra Speedcore and Extratone, as these genres still employ a steady bassline, albeit an extremely exaggerated one. Noizecore is just.. random noise. Merzbow's a master of the genre, though.

I'm afraid to try Noizecore with the K10s. It might just blow the drivers. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #12,003 of 36,059

I'm very please myself with the DX90 and my IEMs. Did anyone of you compared dx90 amped vs unamped with the K10s? Maybe a RaySamuels or something like the Alo Rx?

Or has anyone tried them with the Shozy Alien?

I had a lot of fun with this TSA-unfriendly rig:

DX90 -> PB2. The K10 sure loves going balanced, but you definitely dont need an amp with the DX90. Throwing the PB2 in the mix is more a case of adjusting the flavor than making things uniformly "better". I sure liked it though.

Over the past few months I've owned the Cowon Plenue 1 and the AK120ii. With the K10s I prefer the DX90 over both. The P1 is fantastic but with the K10 it sounds too warm and dense for me. I found the AK120ii unbearably harsh with the K10, and could only listen for about 10 minutes max.

The DX90 sounds lovely with the K10s. I honestly find the combination as detailed as the AK120ii but without the harshness. 

I found the AK120 II to be sheer perfection with the K10 - if the recordings and files are up to snuff. The combo is RUTHLESS and something like Adele's "21" is not really enjoyable on it. The DX90 is quite a lot more forgiving!

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #12,004 of 36,059
I found the AK120 II to be sheer perfection with the K10 - if the recordings and files are up to snuff. The combo is RUTHLESS and something like Adele's "21" is not really enjoyable on it. The DX90 is quite a lot more forgiving!

This is possibly why I couldn't get along with the AK120 II. My ears must be more sensitive than yours! There was detail and clarity for sure, but I found myself turning the volume down and eventually reaching for the off switch.

I imagine an amp would tame the AK120 II somewhat, but I don't want to be fiddling with a stack while traveling. The DX90 fits my needs well at the moment.

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #12,006 of 36,059
which cable is that on the K10's? Thanks

Quote:
  I had a lot of fun with this TSA-unfriendly rig:

DX90 -> PB2. The K10 sure loves going balanced, but you definitely dont need an amp with the DX90. Throwing the PB2 in the mix is more a case of adjusting the flavor than making things uniformly "better". I sure liked it though.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #12,008 of 36,059
Just received my shipping notice for my Savants!

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #12,011 of 36,059
In the Noble 4 description, it says "the Noble 4 lacks the controversial dip in the high frequency region". Is this referring to the lack of much if any energy beyond 13-15kHz in a lot of IEMs using BA drivers? If so, does the Savant also have the same treble extension? Or does it have this dip? Also, is there a reason behind it? Is it stylistic or is it a natural limitation of BA drivers?

I have a feeling that said dip is one of the main reasons why it's been so hard for me to get into IEMs.

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #12,012 of 36,059
  In the Noble 4 description, it says "the Noble 4 lacks the controversial dip in the high frequency region". Is this referring to the lack of much if any energy beyond 13-15kHz in a lot of IEMs using BA drivers? If so, does the Savant also have the same treble extension? Or does it have this dip? Also, is there a reason behind it? Is it stylistic or is it a natural limitation of BA drivers?

I have a feeling that said dip is one of the main reasons why it's been so hard for me to get into IEMs.

I think that's referring to a dip in the frequency response that many people pointed out about the 4.Ai around 4k Hz. I believe project noted that in the very first post on this thread when he compares the noble 4 to the old heir 4.Ai

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #12,014 of 36,059
So has anyone else ever had a case of "CIEM-itis"?

On a flight last week I was listening to my wonderful K10's when I lost track of where my cord was laying. A sudden movement of my hand (which was unknowingly wrapped around the cord) resulted in a pretty hard tug on my CIEMs, especially the left side. Ouch! Nothing like having something deep in your ear canal suddenly twisted in a weird direction. So my ear/jaw was sore for the last few days and is now back to normal, but wow - that's an unpleasant feeling and one I hope to not have to experience again.

I've been detoxing after going 4-5 days now without listening to my babies, not wanting to inflame my ear canal anymore. Figure a few more days can't hurt just to play it safe. 

Moral of the story = watch where your cord is laying and don't yank hard on your CIEMs while they're inserted!

Cheers 

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #12,015 of 36,059
BTS will solve that problem for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back