Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #2,011 of 36,040
Is anyone able to compare the k10 to the Westone 4? I'm waiting on my k10 atm and using a W4. I find them to be a little too dark with the foam tips, with terrible treble extension, while I find them to to be too tinny and lacking in bass with the other (plastic/rubbery) tips.

I'm in the exact same situation.  I really like the W4, but being new to high end audio I'm sure I don't know what I'm missing.  BTW, the Shure Olive tips are my favorite for the W4.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,012 of 36,040
Is anyone able to compare the k10 to the Westone 4? I'm waiting on my k10 atm and using a W4. I find them to be a little too dark with the foam tips, with terrible treble extension, while I find them to to be too tinny and lacking in bass with the other (plastic/rubbery) tips.

Once upon a time I owned the w4 for a week,like you I found it thinny, lacked bass and pretty much underwhelming.

If I compare it to the K10, there is no contest there. The K10 pretty much hammers the W4 across the whole audio spectrum, give it a much smoother and fuller sound.

If u are coming from W4, prepare to be What'ed

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,013 of 36,040

I had the W4, before progressing to the Heir 5.0, then FA-4E. Out of these 3, for SQ I would rank FA-4E > W4/5.0. While overall, I liked the W4 best (when taking into account fit). I also used the Shure Olives. 

I can't think of one thing the W4 comes close to when compared to the K10, but I suppose that should be a given. I sold the FA-4E and W4 within 2 weeks of receiving my K10. I've not had the W4 for a while, but the biggest difference I remember, is the K10 feels much less congested than the W4. The K10 treble is also vastly superior for me. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #2,014 of 36,040
I'm a w4r user before getting my k10.
The laid back sound sigs on w4 are very good for slow songs, but the quantity of bass makes most of the fast songs lacking excitement.
With the K10, every songs are shinning. The clarity and highs are good but non-fatigue. They wont make any songs sound worst even if the recording is not good enough. The bass is what I dream for when I using the w4. The speed, punchiness, and also the texture. I've owned the K10 for over a month now but sometimes I still be amazed by these candies of the ability of making the songs sound so wonderful.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #2,015 of 36,040
Just pulled the trigger on the N4. Coming from W3 and UM3X,  will be interesting to see how they compare.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #2,017 of 36,040
  Selling my W4r because of my N4. Recent comments are making me want to buy the K10. I have no business owning such high-end equipment at this age. No money, too, for that matter. 

You have EVERY business to own them.
beerchug.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2,021 of 36,040
  Gonna buy me a cheap Korean monitor. 
biggrin.gif
 Quiet jealous of your monitor, though.

Don't know where you live but if you live in the US then you should consider getting a Monoprice one. Same panels but you get their warranty and don't have to worry as much about shipping internationally. I'm about to buy a couple of them when the model I want gets in stock, overkill but at their price why not.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,022 of 36,040

Don't know where you live but if you live in the US then you should consider getting a Monoprice one. Same panels but you get their warranty and don't have to worry as much about shipping internationally. I'm about to buy a couple of them when the model I want gets in stock, overkill but at their price why not.

From the  amount of reviews I have read, I would get a Korean over the Monoprice. If I decide to get rid of mine and go glossy, which is what I really wanted, it would be the Monex M27QSM Perfect Pixel.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,024 of 36,040

From the  amount of reviews I have read, I would get a Korean over the Monoprice. If I decide to get rid of mine and go glossy, which is what I really wanted, it would be the Monex M27QSM Perfect Pixel.

I'd love to get an Asus like yours but I plan on going dual monitors so that's a good step up in price.

The Korean ones are the same LG panels, just different brands. I have a colorimeter and according to anandtech the Monoprices really shine once calibrated. The Monex is nice but I'm looking for a IPS monitor although PLS are supposed to be good as well. I know they suffer from blacklight bleed but these aren't for watching movies so it's not a big concern for me.

I need a 1tb hard-drive... what's the best?

btw I'm monitoring this thread (feel free to groan)

Samsung Evo 1TB 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,025 of 36,040
  I'd love to get an Asus like yours but I plan on going dual monitors so that's a good step up in price.

The Korean ones are the same LG panels, just different brands. I have a colorimeter and according to anandtech the Monoprices really shine once calibrated. The Monex is nice but I'm looking for a IPS monitor although PLS are supposed to be good as well. I know they suffer from blacklight bleed but these aren't for watching movies so it's not a big concern for me.

Samsung Evo 1TB 
evil_smiley.gif

I was going to get a Crossover 27QW AH-IPS, but it has a Plasma Deposition Coating that really hurts the blacks. All these things have their flaws. The Tempest Overlord monitors use LG  A panels, the Korean panels are A-.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back