Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
May 1, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #10,216 of 36,116

Universal Product Warranty

This limited warranty does not cover loss, theft, or any defects attributable to damage beyond the reasonable control of Noble including damage caused by abuse, misuse, misapplication, or modifications performed by anyone other than Noble.

I dont think a person living in a particularly warm, cold, humid or dry environment constitutes as a form of abuse, misuse, neglect or accident.

Lol, inventive, but I'm pretty sure that particular interpretation is not what they meant.

Still, as as long as we're on the subject, Noble does - in fact - have no control over the weather or anyone's environmental conditions... just saying'.

Grievances are probably better off being left to private conversations via the noble contact email.

Yeah, kinda weird that this all took place outside of PM at all.

May 1, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #10,218 of 36,116

Lol, inventive, but I'm pretty sure that particular interpretation is not what they meant.

Still, as as long as we're on the subject, Noble does - in fact - have no control over the weather or anyone's environmental conditions... just saying'.

Read up a few post where John said that his K10U's lacquer started cracking when it was left next to the laptop vent.

I am corresponding with Brennan in email. I agreed that the warranty is non-transferable and was willing to pay to have them refinished. But he quoted "a few hundred dollars" and said that warranties(if i had it) does not apply to user errors (implying cracks in the lacquer is user error), which ticked me off.

Leading to the post earlier in the previous page.

They are not selling cheap mass produced in ear monitors. They are selling luxury ones. Excuses like this is unacceptable. If a person can live their entire life time in such temperatures, one of the highest priced earphones in the world can live through it without having its lacquer crack.

May 1, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #10,219 of 36,116
The problem is that you're insinuating that this is an issue with all Noble IEMs. It could be a user problem or it could be a manufacturing problem, but stating that there's an issue with the entire line with no statistical evidence just makes you look bitter. John and Brannan have poured their lives into this and you're insulting their integrity. If I were them, I would take it personally. Had you left it to pms, they might have been more willing to work with you on terms you were more likely to agree with. However, you've resorted to playing the blame game in a public forum, which could unjustly harm their reputation. There isn't yelp. Act professionally and you'll be treated in the same manner.

May 1, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #10,220 of 36,116
The problem is that you're insinuating that this is an issue with all Noble IEMs. It could be a user problem or it could be a manufacturing problem, but stating that there's an issue with the entire line with no statistical evidence just makes you look bitter. John and Brannan have poured their lives into this and you're insulting their integrity. If I were them, I would take it personally. Had you left it to pms, they might have been more willing to work with you on terms you were more likely to agree with. However, you've resorted to playing the blame game in a public forum, which could unjustly harm their reputation. There isn't yelp. Act professionally and you'll be treated in the same manner.

It would be a problem with the entire line if the same lacquer was used for all of their iems.

This isnt about me. If i want the second hand K10U's that i bought refinished, i will need to pay for it as their warranties are non-transferable as per their T&C.

Cracks in the lacquer due to temperature issues which i consider a manufacturing defect not being covered under warranty is not in their T&C.

I want to make sure that the K10U that i bought new in november is covered under their warranty in the event its lacquer crack.

PS: Trust me when i say this, im editing myself very heavily here as i know Noble is an amazing company, making one of the amazing earphone i've ever used in terms of sound and build. Prior to brennan's email on how cracks in the lacquer is a user error, Noble is a company that can do no wrong in my eye. However, with this, well they are brought down a notch.

May 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #10,221 of 36,116
not usually the temperature itself that will crack something but the expanding and contracting from quick changes in temperature. Leaving it near a laptop fan would explain this, as they can rapidly heat up based on processor and memory usage. I wouldn't think constant exposure to higher temps due to weather would have a similar effect.

May 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #10,222 of 36,116
not usually the temperature itself that will crack something but the expanding and contracting from quick changes in temperature. Leaving it near a laptop fan would explain this, as they can rapidly heat up based on processor and memory usage. I wouldn't think constant exposure to higher temps due to weather would have a similar effect.

If you are right, in this case, i apologize.

Some clarification on this by someone who understands the lacquer used on earphones will be nice.

May 1, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #10,223 of 36,116

One. No one is saying that Noble controls the weather (!) They are responsible for how their product performs.
Two. It is a general point of concern so perfectly legitimate to be aired in public.
Disclaimer. I live in the UK so unlikely to have problems with an excessively hot climate!

May 1, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #10,224 of 36,116
  It would be a problem with the entire line if the same lacquer was used for all of their iems.

A search of this thread of over 10,000 posts for the words crack and lacquer

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=crack+lacquer&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=684787&advanced=1

13 results (probably 14 now with mine), starting with your initial inquiry.  If there were a design/production flaw, I would think there would be some discussion on it

May 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #10,225 of 36,116

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=crack+lacquer&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=684787&advanced=1

13 results (probably 14 now with mine), starting with your initial inquiry.  If there were a design/production flaw, I would think there would be some discussion on it

Agree. Have never heard of any related issues with the Noble IEMs, but that doesn't mean they're aren't any. 

Also John and Brannan have been incredible in their responsiveness and customer service orientation. Can understand how the second-owner thing can be a bit challenging. 

Cheers 

May 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #10,226 of 36,116

The K10's in my case the K10U is only out for 8 months. If its something that can only happen over a period of time. Now is about right.

If Kalrykh is right and its only due to sudden changes in temperature, well its an isolated incident, and l guess im looking like an idiot. I doubt that the temperature of the laptop vents can change fast and in a large enough degree to constitute sudden though.

May 1, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #10,227 of 36,116
Ever played world of Warcraft on a MacBook Pro? Damn things can get so hot and so fast that the keyboard itself is too hot to be comfortable. That's why I stopped gaming on laptops. You're looking at a 25-30 degree jump in temperature within about 2 minutes. I manually set the fans to run on full blast, regardless of core temp, along with using a laptop cooler, just to compensate, and it still wasn't enough to keep the keyboard comfortable to the touch. On a few of my older toshibas, if I put my hand in front of the fan vents, it felt like a blow dryer.

May 1, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #10,228 of 36,116
  The K10's in my case the K10U is only out for 8 months. If its something that can only happen over a period of time. Now is about right.

If Kalrykh is right and its only due to sudden changes in temperature, well its an isolated incident, and l guess im looking like an idiot. I doubt that the temperature of the laptop vents can change fast and in a large enough degree to constitute sudden though.

My old ThinkPad used to blow some seriously hot air (potentially even worse than Congress!). I used an app to monitor the CPU temperature and at times it would spike really high, and I wouldn't doubt if the vent air temperature was over 60C. Sure hope no place in the world has that as the room temperature! As a side note, and I'm sure you IT guys are well aware of this, but a bit of compressed air through the vents can clean out a ton of dust and stuff that gets built up in the vents, and this really helps the machines run much cooler. I did this once and almost gagged on the cloud of crap that came out. So this is a good maintenance step to take periodically. Cheers 

May 1, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #10,229 of 36,116
1)  682 pages thus far, I'd venture to say, your post is the first about cracked lacquer.

2) I never said my K10 U began to crack due to being placed by a lap top vent, I stated that I placed of set of CIEMs next to a lap top vent.

I once placed a set of CIEMs next to the exhaust vent of a lap top coumputer....   only to discover the lacquer started to crack...  

It was very old lap top, I have no idea how hot it would blow, I just know it eventually died (the lap top) 

3) I never stated that simple exposure to common weather temperatures cause cracking....   (you made that leap)   consider how hot a car gets inside, and I have been guilty of leaving items in a car that I should not expose to those types of temperatures, (I doubt I am the only one who is guilty of that.)

4) Dreve, is considered the one of the best if NOT THE BEST in the industry. 

Your statement regarding Dreve lacquer is like saying if a, "Bugatti isn't fast enough, buy a Ford Fiesta.....  "

5) Make my own lacquer....

While I am surprised and humbled that you would think that an audiologist would

a) have the financial means to produce a FDA approved lacquer
b) have the knowledge to do so

I have to say doing so is both beyond my financial abilities and know how. We really do not have a lacquer problems now, but I have little doubt that we would if I attempted to make my own lacquer.

6) Wood table top

Yes it is true, a wood table top is not placed in the ear, but it certainly isn't dropped on the floor, I'd also venture to say a wood table top isn't exposed intense heat that can be found in a parked car, which can apparently reach over 170 F  
http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/07/21/hot-car-danger-children

But as you said

"Trust me when i say this, im editing myself very heavily here ......"

Further more, you should understand that Brannan does not dictate the fees I charge for my time.

(a set of colored K10 U, built by Rico Suave, on the same day the red K10 u's were built, and they are still in prestine condition)

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back