Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #7,382 of 36,096
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #7,383 of 36,096
Loser buys a round for everyone here?
wink.gif

Sure! An artisan beer for everyone, lol!

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #7,385 of 36,096
Dec 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #7,386 of 36,096
Hey John - How would the K10 operate being driven by a current amp (versus voltage)? I have a Bakoon HPA-21 that drives my LCD-3F's and it sounds best (really awesome actually) using the Current tap. However, the LCD's are a single transducer per channel and therefore don't have a crossover and are purely resistive. With the 10 drivers in the K10 and the crossovers I wondered if this would likely be a problem and therefore I should only use the Voltage tap? Any thoughts and/or experiences to share? Thanks! Michael 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #7,388 of 36,096
  Hey John - How would the K10 operate being driven by a current amp (versus voltage)? I have a Bakoon HPA-21 that drives my LCD-3F's and it sounds best (really awesome actually) using the Current tap. However, the LCD's are a single transducer per channel and therefore don't have a crossover and are purely resistive. With the 10 drivers in the K10 and the crossovers I wondered if this would likely be a problem and therefore I should only use the Voltage tap? Any thoughts and/or experiences to share? Thanks! Michael 

Any BA has non-linear impedance response.  Multi-drivers has resonance peaks and differs depending on the tune.  

There is really no current or voltage amplifier.  Just a term that was slapped on amps that acts like a current source at the front end.  You have to have voltage on any load to have current.  So, there is no current only amp.  The so called current amp is same as a voltage amp at the output.  It's just that Bakoon, the so called "current amp," will have high output impedance since the volume control is used at the output which sets the voltage(or in other words, it's outputting voltage like any amp should).  

Planars have linear impedance response so it's not affected by output impedance whereas something like a high impedance dynamic driver or BA which much far from linear will be affected by output impedance if significant enough.  

Simply, Bakoon's current mode or whatever has high output impedance so it will have affect on the FR of non-linear impedance phones.  So basically it's an amp with high output impedance.  It's still outputting voltage like any other voltage amp.

If the terms current or voltage source is to be used properly it would refer to ideal current or voltage sources.  Ideally a current source has infinite or very large output impedance, and voltage source has ideally 0 output impedance.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #7,389 of 36,096
wow.  can we go back to artisan beer talk now? As a craft brewer, I follow that a lot better :)

Seriously, I looked at the calendar and it looks like late January before my K10s arrive. is the time estimate accurate?  Since I have learned that the sharp bend in my ear canal is the reason universal TOTL iems cause me pain, It is hard to listen to them for long. 

At least when I am at home, I have a very nice 2 channel setup to hold me over.  God bless Jeff Rowland and Revel.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #7,395 of 36,096
I am hoping to place an order for the K10's after Christmas and just wondered if the UK members know of any good places to have impressions done in the East Anglia area or even London please? For my current customs (ACS) I had them done by the company in London but previous to that I had impressions done by Boots but would prefer to go elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back