Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #35,341 of 36,135
I have two pairs of the Noble 8 core wire. I would also argue that this wire attenuates the treble region quite a bit. It is hiding much of the capability of a great IEM. But the cable only costs about $200. It is certainly not useful for IEM comparisons. I would argue that this invalidates comparisons with IEMs using $1500 cables. The cable performance is too great an influence.

There is much more than just imagining difference with the 8 core Noble. I use it to tone down peaky treble IEMs.

The 8 core Noble for example will make the U18t sound bloated and kills off the initial echo reflections of the live performance venue. Its that much of a compromise.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #35,342 of 36,135
IMG_7217.jpeg

I adore Mystique!❤️

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #35,343 of 36,135
I have two pairs of the Noble 8 core wire. I would also argue that this wire attenuates the treble region quite a bit. It is hiding much of the capability of a great IEM. But the cable only costs about $200. It is certainly not useful for IEM comparisons. I would argue that this invalidates comparisons with IEMs using $1500 cables. The cable performance is too great an influence.

There is much more than just imagining difference with the 8 core Noble. I use it to tone down peaky treble IEMs.
I would say it is useful in the sense that this is what you get out of the box.

We always try to review based on what you will buy and pay for. Adding a $1500 cable and discussing its merits is more useful in a forum context where you can build the discussion and involve more layers of progression post buying. Sadly, not everyone has the budget for that kind of experimentation.

There are always ways to improve the out-of-the box experience, from affordable tips, to more expensive sources, cables and beyond, but that would make a huge and very long single piece review, much too long for my poor fingers to keep up with. That's where Head-fi comes in :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #35,344 of 36,135
I have got my pair of Stage 3 burned in for almost 85 hours and it has opened up a lot and sounds coherent and amazing! For the first 40 hours it sounded dull and boring and the mids and high sit behind the muddy bass, but I could still hear the extremely detailed high and mids produced by the BA driver, so I was confident that it is just the matter of time for this little beast to shine and it finally reveals its true potential around reaching 60 hours mark.

At the 85th hour mark its sound has become smoother and the density increases. I think the 8-strand cable starts to kick in to provide such effect to the SQ. I am loving it! Stage 3 is actually a monitoring type IEM but also very musical in my point of view.
i noticed the same with Fokus Mystique, i got around 30H and bass definition is increasing a lot, mids are more transparent and holographic, highs are natural and very very well tuned.
This TWS honestly sounds amazing paired with my ibasso DX320X using Bandcamp app right now :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #35,345 of 36,135
I would say it is useful in the sense that this is what you get out of the box.

We always try to review based on what you will buy and pay for. Adding a $1500 cable and discussing its merits is more useful in a forum context where you can build the discussion and involve more layers of progression post buying. Sadly, not everyone has the budget for that kind of experimentation.

There are always ways to improve the out-of-the box experience, from affordable tips, to more expensive sources, cables and beyond, but that would make a huge and very long single piece review, much too long for my poor fingers to keep up with. That's where Head-fi comes in :)
I understand and appreciate the thoughtful process. You are considering the consumer obviously. However, my thoughts are that the methodology could be improved with a comparison using the same cable also since you have offered your observations to distinguish the four flagship models. And a dominant portion of your readership has the tendency to cable swap and tip swap.

The older models will seem less capable of performance when using the Noble 8 core cable. It's initial primary use was to upgrade buyers from tinsel wire. I am sure John Moultan would agree with me and I think I have emails to substantiate that.

Also, you might consider how much of an influence this could be to early end of life for the Sultan or KK.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #35,346 of 36,135
I understand and appreciate the thoughtful process. You are considering the consumer obviously. However, my thoughts are that the methodology could be improved with a comparison using the same cable also since you have offered your observations to distinguish the four flagship models. And a dominant portion of your readership has the tendency to cable swap and tip swap.

The older models will seem less capable of performance when using the Noble 8 core cable. It's initial primary use was to upgrade buyers from tinsel wire. I am sure John Moultan would agree with me and I think I have emails to substantiate that.

Also, you might consider how much of an influence this could be to early end of life for the Sultan or KK.

Oh gosh, good question. I think there is enough of a difference from the Ronin for them to exist considering the Sultan and KK both have dynamic drivers.

However, it will suck those BA enthusiasts and vocal lovers into a new choice that was not there before, and those on the fence between the KK and Sultan who fit that description might have a more appropriate fit to spend their money on.

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #35,347 of 36,135
Oh gosh, good question. I think there is enough of a difference from the Ronin for them to exist considering the Sultan and KK both have dynamic drivers.

However, it will suck those BA enthusiasts and vocal lovers into a new choice that was not there before, and those on the fence between the KK and Sultan who fit that description might have a more appropriate fit to spend their money on.

Marcus, I think your reviews are very helpful for someone in my position that can not hear everything before I buy it. It's a good guideline and preview of what to expect so I don't have a complete blind buy. I also gravitate towards posters that have a little bit of a financial stake in the "journalism" so if they write nonsense or low quality research, the readership and income declines. So it's nice to see reviews like yours.

Jul 28, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #35,348 of 36,135
Marcus, I think your reviews are very helpful for someone in my position that can not hear everything before I buy it. It's a good guideline and preview of what to expect so I don't have a complete blind buy. I also gravitate towards posters that have a little bit of a financial stake in the "journalism" so if they write nonsense or low quality research, the readership and income declines. So it's nice to see reviews like yours.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Technically, we earned zilch for the first 3-4 years of existence lol.

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #35,349 of 36,135
The education begins

IMG_4438.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #35,350 of 36,135
To me BCD (this is on UM Indigo, Noble Kublai Khan and Odyssey) is a more intimate phenomenon. The signal bypasses the outer ear and goes straight to the tympanum so it sounds more like a reverb-enhancement to the signal, very "in-your-ear" and deep. Kinetic bass sounds more like a subwoofer firing just outside your ear. I find Kinetic bass more tactile in the sense that it feels like air is being pushed toward your eardrum, like a speaker, whereas BCD feels more like it's coming from deep within. The one cool thing about BCD is that is does sort of tickle the inner ear - its not un-tactile just more 'inside.' BCD is a little more spooky at times - holographic or trippy. Kinetic to me sounds like I'm a live show in the best spot on the floor.
Well stated. I was thinking of a similar reply but not as eloquently as you outlined. I have the KK and RN6 and this mirrors my experience ( as well as with Odin and Legend X Evo). I don’t think one is better then the other, it depends on what you are listening to. kinetic from Fir is well executed and in some genres it expands the soundscape and is quite delicate in the sub bass extension and offers a mesmerizing soundstage. My KK on the contrary is more like a punch in the throat. Both excellent but for different forms of listening experience.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #35,351 of 36,135
Hey guys,

I just bought a FoKus Mystique from MusicTeck, and I’m having dropout issues even though I’m 10’ away from my MacBook Air. I’m using the aptX codec on my Mac which works perfectly with my final ZE8000 wireless set, but lots of dropouts with the Noble.

Anyone else with this set having range problems resulting in dropouts?

I had an issue when I first got them dropping from my laptop. I just unpaired them and paired them again. Haven't had an issue since. My has been finicky with other Bluetooth stuff, so don't think it was the Mystique in my case.

Did you update Mustique Firmware Guys?
Looks it solves pairing issues

IMG_7220.jpeg
IMG_7222.jpeg

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #35,352 of 36,135
It is hard to tell if I have matched the volume levels to the same levels that I listen to the 64 Audio Fourte Blanc and the Noble Viking Ragnar, but I think so. After less than an hour of listening to the just the Ragnar (no switching back and forth with the Blanc...yet). The first characteristic that comes to mind is how tonally similar they are. I think both are for the full range relatively colorless from what I can tell.
This is great, this is what I want. So they both have headphone like sound stage, pretty impressive. The Ragnar though has a big advantage over the Blanc, it is very even across the full spectrum. I did not realize how many dips the Blanc has until hearing the much more even Ragnar. In a live recording of Sara Barielles at the Hollywood Bowl, in noted conversation responses from I assume someone in the front row near the stage, I could understand more of the words from the audience talk back up to Sara. That's pretty nice. Several live music tracks from different albums all recorded very well, I noticed how much easier it is to hear the words. All the instruments and vocalists stay well separated and there isn't a particular octave that seems to stand above the rest. The music of the bands sounds more well orchestrated, no one is playing too loud or too far away or too close. I had assumed many of these aspects was just how the sound engineer combined the music tracks in mastering. Now I know the Blanc is a bit dippy earphone and there that is resulting in differences in audio perspective perception differences. This is really interesting when listing to acoustical music. So far the rendition from the Viking Ragnar is more convincing of the truth. I am looking forwards to how this IEM breaks in.

Note: This is from laptop going into the M-scalar and out the front headphone jack of the HugoTT2. No amps or interconnects adding coloration. The driver is Chord 32-bit Kernal Streaming. No DAP (SP2000cu, Hiby RS8, Sony 1ZM2) comes close.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #35,353 of 36,135
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #35,354 of 36,135
Note: This is from laptop going into the M-scalar and out the front headphone jack of the HugoTT2. No amps or interconnects adding coloration. The driver is Chord 32-bit Kernal Streaming. No DAP (SP2000cu, Hiby RS8, Sony 1ZM2) comes close.
Not to nitpick but the TT2 of course has an amp section. Plus - you may not agree - but many do consider the USB cable between computer and M-Scaler and the BNC cable between M-Scaler and TT2 to be interconnects. Also, having had the M-Scaler/TT2 for quite a while, I'm not sure if "no DAP comes close." Those are very high-quality DAPs built specifically for IEMs with many sound-adjustment fucntions beyond mere upscaling. Both the Hiby and the Sony sound absolutely phenomenal with the Ragnar imo. Plus the computer source is a vexing problem with the Ms/TT2 combo. A laptop will transfer CPU noise through the chain. I had to invest a lot of money into a purpose-built computer/streamer in order to get the kind of sound I wanted out of the TT2. That's just me, of course. But when I compare the $40K I spent on my digital chain before to the $3500 for a RS8, then I start to wonder.... And add to that, that to my ears, the Chord products very much have a house sound and I happen to prefer the R2R sound... So preferences are involved, too. Just wanted to throw my experience into the mix, not trying to say you haven't found nirvana - I hope you have!!

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #35,355 of 36,135
It is hard to tell if I have matched the volume levels to the same levels that I listen to the 64 Audio Fourte Blanc and the Noble Viking Ragnar, but I think so. After less than an hour of listening to the just the Ragnar (no switching back and forth with the Blanc...yet). The first characteristic that comes to mind is how tonally similar they are. I think both are for the full range relatively colorless from what I can tell.
This is great, this is what I want. So they both have headphone like sound stage, pretty impressive. The Ragnar though has a big advantage over the Blanc, it is very even across the full spectrum. I did not realize how many dips the Blanc has until hearing the much more even Ragnar. In a live recording of Sara Barielles at the Hollywood Bowl, in noted conversation responses from I assume someone in the front row near the stage, I could understand more of the words from the audience talk back up to Sara. That's pretty nice. Several live music tracks from different albums all recorded very well, I noticed how much easier it is to hear the words. All the instruments and vocalists stay well separated and there isn't a particular octave that seems to stand above the rest. The music of the bands sounds more well orchestrated, no one is playing too loud or too far away or too close. I had assumed many of these aspects was just how the sound engineer combined the music tracks in mastering. Now I know the Blanc is a bit dippy earphone and there that is resulting in differences in audio perspective perception differences. This is really interesting when listing to acoustical music. So far the rendition from the Viking Ragnar is more convincing of the truth. I am looking forwards to how this IEM breaks in.

Excellent impressions which lines up with mine. This is the reason why I love the Ragnar especially for big orchestral classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back