Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jul 24, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #35,237 of 36,135
In other news @FullCircle is setting up a boutique IEM shop in Serbia, specialized for ladies??? Naughty naughty... Better not tell your wife - for health reasons!

20230724_180117.jpg

drftr

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #35,239 of 36,135
Excuse my English (very bad). I was wondering: Having Ragnar, how do KK and Ronin compare to Ragnar? Is it clearer that way?
@MRT-Man ,@slumberman

Anyway, Ronin has for me the most natural timbre ever. If there is such a thing as "naturalness", then Ronin is its epitome: all fundamentals are present in the right amounts, in perfect balance. Technicalities at the highest level, biggest soundstage ever - yep, bigger than Mentor, Traillii and whatnot (caution: „biggest“, but not most holographic). Vocals organic and emotional. Smooth on top - reminds me of The Bird here.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #35,240 of 36,135
@MRT-Man ,@slumberman

Anyway, Ronin has for me the most natural timbre ever. If there is such a thing as "naturalness", then Ronin is its epitome: all fundamentals are present in the right amounts, in perfect balance. Technicalities at the highest level, biggest soundstage ever - yep, bigger than Mentor, Traillii and whatnot (caution: „biggest“, but not most holographic). Vocals organic and emotional. Smooth on top - reminds me of The Bird here.
Thank you

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #35,241 of 36,135
Excuse my English (very bad). I was wondering: Having Ragnar, how do KK and Ronin compare to Ragnar? Is it clearer that way?
Yes it is.

The following is almost an exercise in futility, and obviously only how I heard it:

Sub bass quantity KK>RA>RO
Sub bass quality RA>KK>RO
Mid bass quantity RO>KK>RA
Mid bass quality KK=RA>RO
Mids quantity RO>KK>RA
Mids quality RO>RA>KK
Lower treble quantity RA>KK>KK
Lower treble quality RO>RA>KK
Upper treble quantity RA>KK>RO
Upper treble quality RA>RO>KK

Macro dynamics KK>RO>RA
Micro dynamics RA>KK>RO
Stage width KK>RO>RA
Stage depth RA>RO=KK

Best bass timbre RA=KK>RO
Best overall timbre RO>KK>RA

Best allrounder RO>KK>RA

drftr

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #35,242 of 36,135
Thank you
My only concern is maybe the question if Ronin sounds too… perfect? It’s not easy to explain such a feeling. This is the thing which I’m trying to understand and so finally if I want to keep it.

Yes it is.

The following is almost an exercise in futility, and obviously only how I heard it:

Mids warmth RO>KK>RA

Macro dynamics KK>RO>RA
Micro dynamics RA>KK>RO
Stage width KK>RO>RA
Stage depth RA>RO=KK

Best allrounder RO>KK>RA

drftr
What a blatant description, respect!

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #35,245 of 36,135
I agree with @phiemon, the Ronin sounds pure reference to me, with super natural timbre. Comparatively, Ragnar has a colder, analytical tuning with less body to the notes, but wider soundstage, perhaps more detail, perhaps even more impressive imaging/layering. Also with a DD for the bass, which makes the sub-bass hit a bit harder, though I feel like the Ronin might have more mid-bass.

I think most people would prefer the Ronin. The Ragnar is interesting to own though for its supreme technical performance, it can really provide an out-of-the-head experience. It's too cold for me with the stock cable, but the right cable (FT, Orpheus, and maybe 1950s?) really improves the tuning, and it also scales very well when amped, like with the Tsuranagi.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #35,246 of 36,135
For those who own them or have had the opportunity to make a comparison..... what are the differences between Kublai Khan and Ronin, compared to Ragnar?
They are two very different IEMs. The Kublai Khan has an amazing stage, oval shape so it’s deep with world class layering. The bass with the bone conduction is one of the best with good sub bass extension. When it hits hard it’s like a punch in the throat so you feel it. But it never feels like it’s too much. It also stays is in lane. I find the detail retrieval to be exceptional, and note weight throughout the frequency range to be excellent. It can be a little sharp at times but never crosses the line. For me, it gives me what I felt Odin fell short on. The Ronin is a masterpiece. I would say it’s warm to neutral (you certainly does not have the bass punch of KK. Detail is exceptional, wide and tall soundstage (not nearly was wide was Ragnar) but I would certainly classify it 3D. Sense of air in the soundstage is amazing, every note is well textured and well rounded. KK is a fun IEM, if you want to go out and hang from the chandeliers this is your IEM. If you want to stay at home, sip bourbon and be mesmerized for hours and hours Ronin is your IEM.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #35,247 of 36,135
Yes it is.

Mids quantity RO>KK>RA
Mids quality RO>RA>KK

Macro dynamics KK>RO>RA
Micro dynamics RA>KK>RO
Stage width KK>RO>RA
Stage depth RA>RO=KK

Best allrounder RO>KK>RA

drftr
Great review...that's what I wanted to know. Thank you very much.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #35,248 of 36,135
I agree with @phiemon, the Ronin sounds pure reference to me, with super natural timbre. Comparatively, Ragnar has a colder, analytical tuning with less body to the notes, but wider soundstage, perhaps more detail, perhaps even more impressive imaging/layering. Also with a DD for the bass, which makes the sub-bass hit a bit harder, though I feel like the Ronin might have more mid-bass.

I think most people would prefer the Ronin. The Ragnar is interesting to own though for its supreme technical performance, it can really provide an out-of-the-head experience. It's too cold for me with the stock cable, but the right cable (FT, Orpheus, and maybe 1950s?) really improves the tuning, and it also scales very well when amped, like with the Tsuranagi.
I've never listened to Ronin.....but I have Ragnar and I really like it. And I don't find it "cold". I was also curious as to how Kublai Khan sounded.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #35,250 of 36,135
I have encore still, it’s amazing. I couldn’t bring myself to add Ragnar, but I would, if $ are no object.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back