Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Dec 5, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #31,667 of 36,065
As a complete aside. I do have a massdrop K10u and a Katana but I'm finding that I enjoy the M3's more than either.

The M3's (to me at least) retain the detailed sound but with an extra dose of fun thrown in
Wow! Curious what kind of music you listen to? I love me a fun sound signature, and can't imagine anything besting the K10U, for my taste. I can't wait to hear the M3!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #31,668 of 36,065
Ugh..this Khan. Is the Tux5 more coherent and less sharp in treble? Is it okay for a brief listen.

I found Tux5 to be less trebly than Khan, and it’s worth demoing.

That said, I find Khan to be much more interesting as an IEM. My impression of tux5 was literally just “this is a hybrid”.

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #31,669 of 36,065
I found Tux5 to be less trebly than Khan, and it’s worth demoing.

That said, I find Khan to be much more interesting as an IEM. My impression of tux5 was literally just “this is a hybrid”.
I respect that. Do you feel the treble sounds a bit too distinct from the mix with the Khan? Also how is the bass quantity in the Tux5?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #31,670 of 36,065
I respect that. Do you feel the treble sounds a bit too distinct from the mix with the Khan? Also how is the bass quantity in the Tux5?

So with the Khan, the treble is definitely the star of the show. Basically everything from the mid-bass to the upper mids feel scooped out, so you’re getting some sub-bass with a lot of treble. I think one benefit of this is that there’s a perceived increase in resolution, but at the same time, the tuning probably turns off a lot of people. I think it has its flaws but manages to be quite interesting.

Tux5 has a much more generic hybrid sound. More bass than the Khan for sure.

You’re paying a hefty Noble premium for either IEM, and I don’t mind listening to either, but I find only one to be unique.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #31,671 of 36,065
Lately comfort has been priority on my cables as I'm moving around all the time. My A12t went back to the stock+mic cable. Probably the Tux5 will stay with it's stock.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #31,672 of 36,065
So with the Khan, the treble is definitely the star of the show. Basically everything from the mid-bass to the upper mids feel scooped out, so you’re getting some sub-bass with a lot of treble. I think one benefit of this is that there’s a perceived increase in resolution, but at the same time, the tuning probably turns off a lot of people. I think it has its flaws but manages to be quite interesting.

You’re paying a hefty Noble premium for either IEM, and I don’t mind listening to either, but I find only one to be unique.

I don't find the mids and sub bass to be scooped out. I actually find the Khan to have a similar sound signature to my Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC. I used to be drawn to the audeze sound signature and the jh Roxanne. I sold the lcd 4z and picked up the abyss and Khan. After getting them I sold off my Solaris and Roxanne. I really enjoy the Khan to me they are more of a reference aound signature .

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #31,673 of 36,065
Wow! Curious what kind of music you listen to? I love me a fun sound signature, and can't imagine anything besting the K10U, for my taste. I can't wait to hear the M3!
Prog Rock, e.g. Pink Floyd, Marillion, Tool, Yes, earlier Genesis.

Rock generally Sabbath, Gov't Mule, The Police.

Older stuff like the Beatles, Elton John, Jethro Tull.

All sorts really :ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #31,674 of 36,065

I have the Khan but I have struggled with what Noble is trying to achieve with the Khan signature.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #31,675 of 36,065
I don't find the mids and sub bass to be scooped out. I actually find the Khan to have a similar sound signature to my Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC. I used to be drawn to the audeze sound signature and the jh Roxanne. I sold the lcd 4z and picked up the abyss and Khan. After getting them I sold off my Solaris and Roxanne. I really enjoy the Khan to me they are more of a reference aound signature .

I meant that the subbass is there without the midbass. I haven’t heard any Abyss headphones, so can’t compare those.

I have the Khan but I have struggled with what Noble is trying to achieve with the Khan signature.

So my take on the Khan is: treble emphasis for increased clarity and perceived resolution, keep the subbass but cut back on midbass to eliminate bloat, and pull back both lower and upper mids so that they’re recessed but balanced (no favoring of male or female vocals for example). Makes for a leaner sound, much like the OG piezo tri-hybrids from Hyla. It also does well in some of the non-FR related aspects, such as technical ability.

At $2000+, it’s more than I’d pay for any IEM, but I’ve seen like-new ones pop up for much less, which makes it a bit tempting.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #31,676 of 36,065
I meant that the subbass is there without the midbass. I haven’t heard any Abyss headphones, so can’t compare those.

So my take on the Khan is: treble emphasis for increased clarity and perceived resolution, keep the subbass but cut back on midbass to eliminate bloat, and pull back both lower and upper mids so that they’re recessed but balanced (no favoring of male or female vocals for example). Makes for a leaner sound, much like the OG piezo tri-hybrids from Hyla. It also does well in some of the non-FR related aspects, such as technical ability.

At $2000+, it’s more than I’d pay for any IEM, but I’ve seen like-new ones pop up for much less, which makes it a bit tempting.
Khan is a TOTL IEM, no doubt. There are times when you listen to something and ask yourself, what was the manufacturer striving for here. It has technical merit and has gotten the majority of my ear time for the past week. Just figuring it out. Curious about the Tux5 and sound like it could be more to my preferred signature.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #31,677 of 36,065
My Tux5 arrived today!

IMG_20191206_163315.jpg

I have a DX228 and a loan N6ii so will be really excited to get these singing! I will post a proper review once I get the other reviews (YB04, N6ii, Rai Penta) out of the way.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #31,678 of 36,065
Khan is a TOTL IEM, no doubt. There are times when you listen to something and ask yourself, what was the manufacturer striving for here. It has technical merit and has gotten the majority of my ear time for the past week. Just figuring it out. Curious about the Tux5 and sound like it could be more to my preferred signature.

It’s definitely possible you prefer the Tux5 sound signature - it feels more “mainstream” and likely appeals to a larger audience.

In terms of sound quality though, I felt as though Tux5 would match up better against other mid-tier offerings rather than TOTLs.

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #31,680 of 36,065

Users who are viewing this thread

Back