Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Aug 11, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #21,571 of 36,066
  I just got my Mojo recently, but I haven't tried it with my custom K10 yet. I already feel the big improvement of the Mojo over using my AK380Cu alone, with the JH Audio Layla. I am suspecting that the K10 will reveal the strength of the Mojo even more. Will let you guys know once I hear it.

Well, I haven't tried my K10 with any of the AK380s before, or at least not for any sufficient length of time, but I have the AK240 and the Mojo, and the latter is simply several rungs higher up the ladder than the Astell & Kern. The Mojo conjures up better texture and resolution across the board. Frankly, my DAPs have all taken a back seat to the Mojo these days.

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #21,572 of 36,066
  I just got my Mojo recently, but I haven't tried it with my custom K10 yet. I already feel the big improvement of the Mojo over using my AK380Cu alone, with the JH Audio Layla. I am suspecting that the K10 will reveal the strength of the Mojo even more. Will let you guys know once I hear it.

Well, I haven't tried my K10 with any of the AK380s before, or at least not for any sufficient length of time, but I have the AK240 and the Mojo, and the latter is simply several rungs higher up the ladder than the Astell & Kern. The Mojo conjures up better texture and resolution across the board. Frankly, my DAPs have all taken a back seat to the Mojo these days.

When you say the Mojo is better, is this using it with your AK240 / AK380, or using it with a PC / phone?

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #21,574 of 36,066
Does Noble do black friday deals? This would determine if I buy a new dap before I get a pair of k10.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #21,575 of 36,066
  It depends a lot on your ear canal shape and the insertion depth of your customs. Sometimes the combination of these 2 factors will cause a treble peak to be present at the sibilance causing region. It doesn't help that the Trident is already tuned to have boosted treble. A quick solution would be to use EQ to tone down the highs a bit. 

For what its worth, I found the Trident universal rather harsh and peaky as well. 

Perhaps this is part of the Noble house sound?  I purchased a Dulce Bass and found it harsh as well (in addition to other problems)...

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #21,577 of 36,066
Perhaps this is part of the Noble house sound?  I purchased a Dulce Bass and found it harsh as well (in addition to other problems)...

Really? The Dulce Bass has the darkest sound of all of my Noble IEMs, none of which, at least with my sources and amps, are harsh but the Dulce is the one that is furthest from harsh. However, if it has an impedance curve like most other IEMs, then I can see it being potentially harsh with a high output inpeedence source/amp.

Aug 11, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #21,578 of 36,066
Really? The Dulce Bass has the darkest sound of all of my Noble IEMs, none of which, at least with my sources and amps, are harsh but the Dulce is the one that is furthest from harsh. However, if it has an impedance curve like most other IEMs, then I can see it being potentially harsh with a high output inpeedence source/amp.

Definitely not.  I found the treble harsh from my Oppo HA-1, HA-2, iDSD Micro, Dragonfly 1.5, and iPhone 6.  All but the iPhone have output impedance <1ohm.  I didn't say it was shrill or peaky, the treble is just gritty.  The bass is the bigger issue actually - fine quantity-wise but it manages to be oddly reverberant and flabby in I way I didn't think was possible using balanced armatures...  Not a natural sound at all.  For reference, I also have IE800, ASG2.5, Earsonics Velvet, EX1000 currently and have owned many other IEMs.  Fit and finish was great though so it was quite a disappointment to me.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #21,580 of 36,066
I quit my job today and when I was being interviewed for the new one, I specifically asked about their headphone policy. The K10 is so good that I would honestly have turned down the job if they wouldn't let me use them at my desk.

Luckily I'm a backend systems administrator, not in a customer-facing position. :grin:

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #21,581 of 36,066
When you say the Mojo is better, is this using it with your AK240 / AK380, or using it with a PC / phone?

I'm using the Mojo with a few of my devices. For example, I use my phone's USB line-out to the Mojo. Hence, it's the Mojo doing all the work here. I actually love the AK240 as a standalone DAP, but the Mojo does actually improve things in several aspects.

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #21,582 of 36,066
I quit my job today and when I was being interviewed for the new one, I specifically asked about their headphone policy. The K10 is so good that I would honestly have turned down the job if they wouldn't let me use them at my desk.

Luckily I'm a backend systems administrator, not in a customer-facing position. :grin:

My job actually involves me listening to a ton of calls each day (I'm a quality auditor), and while it would seem ideal to use my K10 (or other good IEMs), I'm actually afraid of abusing them on a daily basis. Better to use them to enjoy good music, and leave the daily drivers to less precious earphones. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #21,584 of 36,066
There are two I would love to audition. I would love to hear the K10 and the Django. I feel one of these would best suit my tastes. Too bad it probably wont be an option to audition before a purchase.

You would be able to audition the universal versions AFAIK. (Certainly the K10u.

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #21,585 of 36,066

Users who are viewing this thread

Back