Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 6, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #17,086 of 36,066
  I also build my own, have been for 12 years or so, I dont really game much anymore, but my system was built for that.

3570k at 4.6 its done 5.0, but thats overkill and mostly just to see if it would do it. Asus GTX 770 in SLI, running 2560 res on my Qnix 27" monitor overclocked to 96hz.

I love seeing techs up in here. WOOT!

Since I just built mine, I run the i7-5820K w/ GTX 950 SSC. While I could have gone with the cheaper i7-4970K, I needed the extra PCIe lanes for extra stuff. Eventually, I'll upgrade to the TOTL GPU once I watch AMD and NVIDIA for a while. AMD is getting ready for their new architecture and nanometer advancements.

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #17,087 of 36,066
Since I just built mine, I run the i7-5820K w/ GTX 950 SSC. While I could have gone with the cheaper i7-4970K, I needed the extra PCIe lanes for extra stuff. Eventually, I'll upgrade to the TOTL GPU once I watch AMD and NVIDIA for a while. AMD is getting ready for their new architecture and nanometer advancements.

So it's gonna be a good time to move up from my R9 290X Crossfire? Good to know. I've been pondering an upgrade, but haven't felt like I really needed to yet.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #17,088 of 36,066
I have Westone ES5 and loved the way it presents vocals. However k10 ciem have slightly recessed vocals for my taste. However you can just eq that. Overall k10 are almost perfect for most genres and sound better than my ES5.

I haven't heard the ES5 before, but I've read its reviews. I'm surprised that you say that the K10's vocals are slightly recessed, as I found them rather forward. Nevertheless, does the ES5 have a more forward midrange (and vocal presentation)? 
smile.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #17,089 of 36,066
Thanks for the feedback Malevolent and dulty and everyone else. I guess it is time to save a couple of hundreds for this next baby of mine.
biggrin.gif

I need to find a way to save enough money to buy the K10U because reading this forum is killing me. I guess I better start becoming like Walter White and some money lol *cries at wallet*

Good luck, folks! But trust me, it is worth the wait. If you prize lush, textured mids with authoritative and powerful vocals, the K10 is the one to beat.

It doesn't help that this thread constantly gushes on and on about the K10's prowess. But hey, we're fans. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #17,090 of 36,066

I haven't heard the ES5 before, but I've read its reviews. I'm surprised that you say that the K10's vocals are slightly recessed, as I found them rather forward. Nevertheless, does the ES5 have a more forward midrange (and vocal presentation)? 
smile.gif

Yep.. in K10 the vocals are really good but slightly recessed than what i was used to on ES5. As most of my music is vocal based ES5 really presents that front and center where as K10 presents instruments and detail along with vocals thereby making sound slightly recessed.. Makes sense..But i EQed my ZX2 just enough ( around 8Khz) to make K10 vocals sound as magical as ES5 without losing the magnificent details that k10 delivers 

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #17,091 of 36,066
K10 Universal scheduled to arrive on Friday. Really excited about it! Even though I already have the Wizard CIEMs - which provides excellent isolation from ambient noise - I'm still looking for something that suits all of my travelling needs. I've found the CIEM to be excellent when on a plane. (I excell at sleeping in every circumstance but airplanes.)  However, I've noticed that during short trips like taking the train / bus to work, CIEMs can be cumbersome if you still have to interact with your environment (meeting colleagues, knowing when it's your time to get the hell out of the train, ordering food to go, ...). One thing you can rely on is that the K10s sound fabulous, whether its the custom or universals!

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #17,093 of 36,066
  Yep.. in K10 the vocals are really good but slightly recessed than what i was used to on ES5. As most of my music is vocal based ES5 really presents that front and center where as K10 presents instruments and detail along with vocals thereby making sound slightly recessed.. Makes sense..But i EQed my ZX2 just enough ( around 8Khz) to make K10 vocals sound as magical as ES5 without losing the magnificent details that k10 delivers 

I see, thanks for the clarification. 
smile.gif

Indeed, the K10's midrange is both forward and incredibly lush, which brings a lot of life and vigor to vocal and instrument driven genres, such as pop and rock. 80s rock sounds absolutely fantastic on the K10!

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #17,094 of 36,066
  K10 Universal scheduled to arrive on Friday. Really excited about it! Even though I already have the Wizard CIEMs - which provides excellent isolation from ambient noise - I'm still looking for something that suits all of my travelling needs. I've found the CIEM to be excellent when on a plane. (I excell at sleeping in every circumstance but airplanes.)  However, I've noticed that during short trips like taking the train / bus to work, CIEMs can be cumbersome if you still have to interact with your environment (meeting colleagues, knowing when it's your time to get the hell out of the train, ordering food to go, ...). One thing you can rely on is that the K10s sound fabulous, whether its the custom or universals!

I agree! As much as I love using CIEMs, there are times when they can be a little cumbersome - I hate taking them out to answer calls, for example. In this regard, a universal IEM is a whole lot easier, and more convenient to use.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #17,095 of 36,066

I agree! As much as I love using CIEMs, there are times when they can be a little cumbersome - I hate taking them out to answer calls, for example. In this regard, a universal IEM is a whole lot easier, and more convenient to use.

Well, I plug the CIEMs into my phone and take the call with them. Problem solved, no? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #17,096 of 36,066
Jan 7, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #17,097 of 36,066
I am receiving my K10 U's tomorrow. I have a lot of HD tracks and ripped CD's (FLAC) as well as some 256k AAC iTunes music. Are the K10's unforgiving when t comes to poorly recorded music or do they sound good for all?

Thanks,
Ken

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #17,098 of 36,066

Well, I plug the CIEMs into my phone and take the call with them. Problem solved, no? 
biggrin.gif

Nah. I get weird looks from people, since I cannot gauge if I'm actually speaking too softly, or too loudly. Besides, I'm holding my phone away from my face, and speaking to the microphone, which looks a little.. odd. 
biggrin.gif

Like this -

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #17,099 of 36,066
  I am receiving my K10 U's tomorrow. I have a lot of HD tracks and ripped CD's (FLAC) as well as some 256k AAC iTunes music. Are the K10's unforgiving when t comes to poorly recorded music or do they sound good for all?

Thanks,
Ken

The K10 is great with a lot of music, even ones encoded as lower quality files (e.g. 128 kbps MP3 files). They'll scale up the ladder well, though - so feed them some high quality files, and the K10 will reciprocate with a truly delightful aural experience.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #17,100 of 36,066

Thanks,
Ken

Keep in mind quality of recording has nothing to do with bitrate. My experience with the K10s is that, if I'm really honest with myself, I seriously question whether I can hear a difference between Apple streaming and Tidal lossless. This is straight out of an iPhone.

Now that I just got the Mojo (super evil grin) that story may change, as it makes a very noticeable and wonderful difference for me versus straight out of the phone, but I've only tried Apple streaming so far. I cancelled my Tidal subscription a while back so I can't compare lossless with AAC at the moment.

To summarize, straight out of an iPhone, I can't hear a difference. Introduce other components into the audio chain and I can't tell you yet. What I can say is that I've never heard an AAC track that sounds bad on the K10s, although I never go lower than 256K. After you get your K10s, please let us know your what you think :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back